audi a2 1.4 petrol new owner

Welcome Samantha.

Plenty of helpful advice on here, and most importantly, a great community spirit. There is also an active social scene too.

I look forward to seeing some pictures of your new car.

Darren

Hello Darren, thanks for the welcome, will put pics up tomorrow as my husband said he will clean it for me, hes already found to worrying things, which he cant find any info on. So got me worried now.:(

Hello Darren, thanks for the welcome, will put pics up tomorrow as my husband said he will clean it for me, hes already found to worrying things, which he cant find any info on. So got me worried now.:(

Sorry to hear; hopefully nothing that can’t be easily sorted. Most things have been covered on here, post your concerns on this thread or start a new one - members qualified to help will no doubt offer their counsel.

My husband said this is the egr, and said he doesn't think the screw blocking a pipe is an standard Audi part
IMG_8475.JPG

IMG_8474.JPG

Then he said the same about a pipe from the throttle body, with a bolt shoved in the end???
:eek:

My husband said this is the egr, and said he doesn't think the screw blocking a pipe is an standard Audi part
View attachment 41966

View attachment 41967
Then he said the same about a pipe from the throttle body, with a bolt shoved in the end???
:eek:

Hi,

the Petrol 1.4 EGR valve is electrically operated. The small pipe you can see isn't a vacuum control. Its actually just to allow the internals of the valve to have access to ambient are for pressure equalisation. Its meant to have a small air cleaner at the end and just dangle down! What can happen however is that the seals inside the valve can fail and leak past the actuator rod and into the workings of the valve where the solenoid is. This then can cause an air leak through the ventilation pipe to the intake. This would probably through up an engine management fault. If there is a fault in the valve then plugging the end of the hose would make the car run better but if it is leaking, I'm sure exhaust gasses won't do the internals of the valve any good.
Alternatively, a mechanic who didn't understand the workings of the valve, saw a hose that had an open end and plugged it!

The throttle body may have been replaced by a latter one with an extra vacuum hose attachment. I have had my throttle body replaced on my 1.4 petrol and the new part which superseded the original is more universal and had an extra host attachment which needed to be plugged.

regards

Andrew

Hi,

the Petrol 1.4 EGR valve is electrically operated. The small pipe you can see isn't a vacuum control. Its actually just to allow the internals of the valve to have access to ambient are for pressure equalisation. Its meant to have a small air cleaner at the end and just dangle down! What can happen however is that the seals inside the valve can fail and leak past the actuator rod and into the workings of the valve where the solenoid is. This then can cause an air leak through the ventilation pipe to the intake. This would probably through up an engine management fault. If there is a fault in the valve then plugging the end of the hose would make the car run better but if it is leaking, I'm sure exhaust gasses won't do the internals of the valve any good.
Alternatively, a mechanic who didn't understand the workings of the valve, saw a hose that had an open end and plugged it!

The throttle body may have been replaced by a latter one with an extra vacuum hose attachment. I have had my throttle body replaced on my 1.4 petrol and the new part which superseded the original is more universal and had an extra host attachment which needed to be plugged.

regards

Andrew
Andrew
Thanks for that, might just leave it as it drives ok. One little thing I have noticed, you cannot not read the dipstick.

Thanks again
Sam

Andrew
Thanks for that, might just leave it as it drives ok. One little thing I have noticed, you cannot not read the dipstick.

Thanks again
Sam
Is this because the end of the dipstick is black or because your end has snapped off? I've got a number of complete dipsticks available and Depronman does replacement 3d printed ends also.

Is this because the end of the dipstick is black or because your end has snapped off? I've got a number of complete dipsticks available and Depronman does replacement 3d printed ends also.

A2Steve, thanks but its not snapped, think its just the length and strange design, take it, its normal not to be able to read it, could you swap for a dipstick tube from a polo?

Hello, just took car out today drove lovely really pleased, but as I was driving, the speedo shot up saying I was doing 120mph whilst stuck in traffic, it would go up and down, and then got flagged down and told I had no brake lights, could this be connected.

thanks for any help

Samantha

Last edited:
Well the brake lights was simple brake light switch, however had no warning lights on dash ( don't no if i should) however the speedo issue turned out to be the needle sticking as it had been pushed on to far, the reason behind that was someone had cut out the engine management light from the cluster, the garage denying anything so having to go along small claims, Its cost £199;00 to repair cluster.:mad:

Well the brake lights was simple brake light switch, however had no warning lights on dash ( don't no if i should) however the speedo issue turned out to be the needle sticking as it had been pushed on to far, the reason behind that was someone had cut out the engine management light from the cluster, the garage denying anything so having to go along small claims, Its cost £199;00 to repair cluster.:mad:
suggest you have a word with Tom (timmus) @timmus regarding the instrument cluster. I'm sure he will be able to work some magic and recover the cluster for you

Thank you, Paul. Yes, I regularly do cluster work. I often see engine management lights removed from the cluster motherboard, and the resultant sticky speedo needle as a result of it being pushed tightly against the scale upon reassembly. As long as the correct surface-mount LEDs are in stock, both issues are quick to resolve.

Cheers,

Tom

Hi thanks, but had it repaired, had new led soldered in and checked for any other damage.

It does now, never came on before hand, but didn't take much notice as I thought no lights on dash means no faults, but my husband scanned the car and it showed the brake light switch fault.

Back