Rear speakers not working, Is there a common problem?

ICowie

A2OC Donor
Scotland
Just a quick question. I've noticed that the rear speakers in the car aren't working, the fronts are fine with no distortion etc I was wondering before I start pulling door cards off and removing the stereo, is there's a common problem causing it and will I need the code for the stereo if I remove it?

Thanks

Firstly check behind the speaker cover you've actually got rear speakers.. some cars were never fitted with them

I'm not that bothered at the moment as I've got a long list of other things I want to do first, I just hadn't considered there wouldn't be speakers fitted

......and will I need the code for the stereo if I remove it?

Thanks

I asked a similiar question recently and for future reference the answer is no code required upon refitting.

Apparently the radio reads the VIN and if it matches the VIN it has previously stored, which it will going back into the same car then everything will be hunky-dory.

Andy

I asked a similiar question recently and for future reference the answer is no code required upon refitting.

Apparently the radio reads the VIN and if it matches the VIN it has previously stored, which it will going back into the same car then everything will be hunky-dory.

Andy
That is only true if the car is not an early one. Post early 2002 cars have can bus and can remember the code. Prior to this they need a code after every disconnection. But if you have lost yours there are plenty of people on Ebay that will send you the code for your unit if you give them the ID number. Quite cheap and very quick.

Steve B

Hi Steve,

My car's is an early 2002 on a 51 plate so I'm not sure if it's got can bus or not but when I disconnected the battery for 15/20mins to fit the TT steering wheel when I connected everything back up it didn't ask for the code. Although I didn't actually remove the stereo at the time.

Thanks,
Iain

Then it sounds like it must just be the pre 2002 ones that don’t remember the code, unless yours was just after the change.

But many 2001 cars and earlier will need the code when the battery is disconnected for more that a couple of miniutes or if you change the head unit.
Steve B

That is only true if the car is not an early one. Post early 2002 cars have can bus and can remember the code. Prior to this they need a code after every disconnection. But if you have lost yours there are plenty of people on Ebay that will send you the code for your unit if you give them the ID number. Quite cheap and very quick.

Steve B
Thanks Steve for expanding to give a complete picture and remiss of me not to mention something that might lead to later difficulties. Strangely I did know this but it never entered my head to mention it - early signs of dementia ????

Andy

Thanks Steve for expanding to give a complete picture and remiss of me not to mention something that might lead to later difficulties. Strangely I did know this but it never entered my head to mention it - early signs of dementia ????

Andy
Lol you are not alone there, me too.

Steve B

is retrofitting the only way to install rear speakeres? I mean, aren't they a common diameter you can purchase in some store and have them installed? just asking. Retrofitting-master Timmus lives quite far away from my place... Thanks!

The standard speakers are cheap to buy and are pretty good for quality. So there is no need to use aftermarket ones that don’t fit.

They are quite easy to find too.

Steve B

just adding to above responses, even if you wish to fitter 'better' after market speakers you would be best to use the plastic housing of the original speakers as they are a really strange shape.
The front and rear are all the same speaker, so you can easily pick a pair up from a breaker, also the tweeters are all the same. I bought a set from A2steve a couple of years ago, two speakers and two tweeters plus he also supplied the connectors and a chunk of wiring harness. This allowed me to make up looms and the speaker install was all done in a couple of hours. If you are going to do it properly you will need to install pins and sockets in the door / B post plug and socket for the extra two wires (the connectors have spaces for these pin and sockets, or you can cheat and feed the wire through the little space below the socket and directly into the B pillar. This will prove problematic in the future if you ever need to remove a door !!!
I was using an aftermarket head unit therefore did not need the power amp under the drivers feet, as the head unit powered the rear and front speakers directly

Cheers,

I am another person that thought that my rear speakers weren’t working on my
Newly acquired A2 only to find it hasn’t got any.... I can’t believe Audi skimped on these and never known another car marker not to fit this on a fairly modern car lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back