Sealing door mounting panel to door frame and door sub-frame.

Little Dog

A2OC Donor
European-Union
I have removed the rear door mounting panel which was sealed with a soft rubber seal that broke up.

My dealer has supplied a tube of AKD 476 KDS 05 polyurethane adhesive sealant. Should this be used to seal the mounting panel?

I'm concerned it may set hard making the door mounting panel impossible to remove in the future.

Thank you

Thanks all, some useful info. A2Steve I will be sealing my mounting panel but you don't; I take it you have no issues with water ingress? So the seal must be there to stop rattles as Johnny mentioned.
I had considered using silicone because I should be able to cut it in the future. Rejected this option though because while I can usually do a neat job I end up covered in the stuff and I would end up contaminating my paint somewhere.
So options appear to be some thing that sets hardish but can be removed (glue stick) or something that remains soft. Probably the latter is the best option.
Currently looking at windscreen adhesive, I guess that is a little like frame mastic?

No water will get in because it's on the inside of the door seal. In my opinion it's just over engineering by Audi (which I applaud).

No water will get in because it's on the inside of the door seal. In my opinion it's just over engineering by Audi (which I applaud).

Your right just been out in the pouring rain and I can see a little water gets in but it runs down the inside of the door skin.

BUT when the car is moving water could be persuaded to get in. This should be a water tight seal IMO.

I like that, a tad pricey though and I still need a tube of sealer for some of the gaps inside the door and to seal between a foam strip and the door frame.
I forgot to mention the Audi sealer I bought has passed its use by (my fault) and is too stiff to use. I could be looking at buying two products.
I have three doors to seal so two products should not result in too much waste.

Last edited:
Evening,

Just to backup A2Steve (as if he needs it!) regards not needing to seal it up. My 03 plate A2, non BOSE from the factory didn’t have the black sticky bonding. I removed a BOSE setup from a factory BOSE A2 53 plate (same year of manufacturing) and it did have the black sticky bonding. At a guess it might have been only fitted to BOSE cars to stop any vibrations from the better audio setup. I cannot confirm this though.

What I can confirm is that my non factory BOSE A2, which now has BOSE fitted (thanks Tom) has never suffered and vibrations from the better audio set up and certainly no water ingress.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Tom

BUT when the car is moving water could be persuaded to get in. This should be a water tight seal IMO.

That’s what I thought too but just driven about 30 miles in heavy rain and it just runs down the inside of the door skin. I suppose if I parked up on a road with a heavy camber there may be a risk of water ingress. Going to seal the inside; just need to identify the right product.

I've seen the bottom of door cards ruined by water can only assume this could be a cause

I had that problem a few years ago with mould growing on my n/s front door card. Never fixed it, it just went away. I’ll be replacing that door after the n/s rear. Will be interesting to see if I find evidence of a leak.

This is the kind of product usually used by some car manufacturers to seal inner door membranes and some bolted metal panels. It is non hardening, can be shaped and moulded by hand. Has very good adhesion which is easy to remove and reusable. As far as i'm aware the panel acts not only as a barrier against water ingress but also to help prevent wind noise and road noise too.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BUTYL-SN...m=253223995874&_trksid=p2045573.c100505.m3226

or

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HIGH-PER...877658&hash=item4d63f9ec7c:g:HRsAAOSwJwpZx27l

I use self adhesive D shape draught excluder , just run it round the channel in the aluminium panel and join at the bottom. It is only there to stop the panel vibrating. It is cheap and as only sticks on one side comes off again no problem. The abundance of screws and bolts hold the panel very tightly.
Here is similar to what I have used.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLACK-Dr...hash=item234c0f476b:m:mIueDwFwhNq4kl0_C3O3RkQ

Also put a little along the rails of the false floor, never rattles

Back