AMF / BHC engine swap

Pedro66

Hi all. I'm a new member and need some advice on my new purchase.
I brought a TDI sport as a non runner project.
I'm told it has a blown piston by the previous owner but yet to confirm this.
It has the later BHC engine my question is would it be possible to fit the more common AMF engine and if so what other components need to be swapped over.
Any advice greatfully accepted

in principle it should be a direct swap, the engine and cylinder head are the same castings
you may need to swap some of the BHC ancillaries onto the AMF engine, inlet stuff and better keeping the BHC turbo as a slightly better design

Very early AMF engines have the oil level sensor mounted differently, meaning the connector and/or wiring loom length could be wrong, but that's all I can think of. From late 2001, all AMF engines have the same sump, block, head, pistons, crankshaft, etc, as the BHC engine. The only difference between the AMF and BHC engines are the ancillaries such as turbo, EGR system, anti-shudder valve, solenoid arrangement, etc. Swap all of that across and away you go.

Cheers,

Tom

Great stuff thanks for the fantastic info.
Will the ECU need swapping too? And also do the fuel injectors need to be coded to the ECU as I see on some other engines this has to be done before it will start.
Will keep you posted with all the woes and highs of this project.
I intend to keep this, as I have a 100 mile a day commute.

All A2 diesel engine types have different ECUs. AMF and BHC injectors have different part numbers.

RAB

Great stuff thanks for the fantastic info.
Will the ECU need swapping too? And also do the fuel injectors need to be coded to the ECU as I see on some other engines this has to be done before it will start.
Will keep you posted with all the woes and highs of this project.
I intend to keep this, as I have a 100 mile a day commute.

You must retain your original ECU. Although you will be using the block/head from an AMF engine, you'll be using it to build a BHC engine. You therefore must keep your BHC ECU.
As stated above, the AMF and BHC engines share the same core engine; it is only the anciliaries that are different. So, once you've transferred the turbo, EGR, anti-shudder valve, etc, it will be a bonefide BHC engine.

The fuel injectors do not require any coding. As long as they are of the correct type, the ECU will drive them.

Even if you're not planning on modifying anything to squeeze any extra power out of the engine, you'd probably still benefit from reading the TDI120 thread: https://www.a2oc.net/community/index.php?threads/tdi120-my-new-engine.32986/
There are loads of high-res photos here of the 1.4TDI in various stages of (dis)assembly.

Cheers,

Tom

Brilliant thanks for that great info.
It will be another engine as just removed the lower engine cover to find the remains of the sump and conrod from number 1 piston.
Hopefully it all went out the bottom and not through the turbo as it was a new one two weeks before the failure.

Well just a big thanks for all the great info and advice from all involved. It now runs sweet as a nut.
Turns out the "NEW" turbo that came with the car was a dud. And probably caused the engine to blow in the first place.
This was diagnosed by total vag in Leighton Buzzard. Top place and top guy.
Would be very wary of purchasing a G-FORCE turbo. This was so poorly reconditioned it was not spinning up enough and the waste gate pressure actuator was wound up to 40 psi. Should be about 11 psi.
So all in all after the engine swap and some unforseen teething problems I'm now enjoying A2 ownership. And 73 mpg.

Back