Today I.....

no I had dirty hands for most of it. I tend to leave it a day or so as if I write it up too soon there is too much detail
time was getting on and the A2 was fighting me most of sunday afternoon, just not used to bolt not undoing when working on A2's
Other old cars its the norm, but not the A2 mainly due to Audi's magic blue/green thread coating to stop dis similiar metal corrosion
The front of the car is still off so I will take some of the JDD gearbox as these will help anyone else following the same path, the suspension change is a well trodden path, but the air ratchet I will post a picture of because it makes the job sooooooooooooo much easier and is well worth the £40 if you only ever use it for one set of front shock changes - its a game changer !!!

Paul

I knew you secretly loved crawling about on the floor changing clutches paul. :)

Good amount of work there you'll have to report in on how it feels once you've had a chance to drive. Should certainly be more satisfying than trying to get the ami working on the A5!

I knew you secretly loved crawling about on the floor changing clutches paul. :)

Good amount of work there you'll have to report in on how it feels once you've had a chance to drive. Should certainly be more satisfying than trying to get the ami working on the A5!

Well at least I made progress on the A2
The AMI issue on my A5 is stalled at the moment for a lack of knowledge

Cheers. Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoyed my first trip out in the car for a long while to go and pick a prescription up.
Hope everyone is doing ok. Particularly any other solos who may be starting to wonder what those weird two legged things that you occasionally see in the distance are! I have to admit that I do spend half an hour or so each day just sitting in Mabel as she always makes me feel happy ?

:)

Likewise, I hope everyone is staying safe and very nearly as important, being careful to manage mental health. So important. At least this has hit just as the clocks have changes, it's warmed up and generally, the sun's been out. Makes a big difference.

My brother and his other half are both teachers and therefore carry background-check paperwork. In order to do their bit, and frankly, escape the house, they registered as NHS volunteers but also contacted their phamacy. Now most days they do a pharmacy run (up to 30 miles) and the occasional shop for isolated people in at-risk isolation. It's been incredibly positive for all involved. Some people they've delivered to have literally been in tears as Mike or Nat have been the first person they've seen for days.

On the other hand, there are other places where, at a set time, all the neighbours bring a chair out front and all chat from safety of their own gardens. Lots have talked more in the last fortnight than in the previous few years.

I'm doing shopping for my workshop landlord and his 'girlfriend' (a slip of a girl in her late seventies), a unit-neighbour (who's very much at risk) plus my crotchety parents. Therefore can escape the house a bit knowing it's legal, positive and hopefully, a bit helpful as well. I do try to do all the shopping in one hit each time to minimise supermarket visits to two a week where I can. Four full baskets do take some managing though and I'm always relieved to get out of the supermarket and back out into the countryside I have to admit.

As for the Devon car: very quiet. Weekend was disrupted by taking care of this monster for both days: 13 week old Newfoundland. Not mine, she's my Mum's (yes, the crotchety one). She was in dog house after being naughty so it seemed prudent to defuse the situation by nicking her for a bit!

A2OC meet Caddy, Caddy meet A2OC.
IMG_2280[78934].JPG

Last edited:
The jdd gearbox is a 5 speed gearbox from the polo blue motion
I’d as both longer ratios on each gear as well a a longer final drive
It also as upgraded synchro rings compared to the A2 gearbox
And importantly as the gear available to drive the speedo drive though you have to fit the drive from your original gearbox as it as a blanking plug fitted as std
The clutch is identical I bought a new one thinking that at 170k miles it would be well worn - how wrong I was. I would have happily fitted a new release bearing and pivot bolt and put the clutch back in as wear was negligible

Paul

The jdd gearbox is a 5 speed gearbox from the polo blue motion
I’d as both longer ratios on each gear as well a a longer final drive
It also as upgraded synchro rings compared to the A2 gearbox
And importantly as the gear available to drive the speedo drive though you have to fit the drive from your original gearbox as it as a blanking plug fitted as std
The clutch is identical I bought a new one thinking that at 170k miles it would be well worn - how wrong I was. I would have happily fitted a new release bearing and pivot bolt and put the clutch back in as wear was negligible

Paul

Same here. Had a new clutch set ready to replace when changing my box, although there was a receipt of a clutch change in the past on my car.
When the box was off the clutch looked like new (Valeo branded), as a precaution used the new bearing and left all else well alone.

If you don't let it slip and use the clutch normally it is capable of intergalactic mileage I guess....... ?

I replaced a tdi clutch at 272k miles a few years ago. The pivot bolt had worn away punching a hole in the cross arm and eventually destroyed the release bearing
The spinner plate still had 0.6mm left and the new LUK spinner only had 1.6mm
So about another 100k miles left

This clutch had no where near as much wear and would likely see 600k miles

Starship miles for what Audi designed as mainly a town car

Paul

So today I finally installed the handbrake tray. All smooth, with the exception of removing the cigarette charger element :mad: that took a while.
Replaced the original tray’s black velvety bits with matching twist leather off-cuts, for a total beige look.
Also managed not to use double-sided tape using sticky mats instead, so it can be fully reversed without any nasty residues on the central tunnel.

View attachment 62885

Your leather looks sumptuous

I replaced a tdi clutch at 272k miles a few years ago. The pivot bolt had worn away punching a hole in the cross arm and eventually destroyed the release bearing
The spinner plate still had 0.6mm left and the new LUK spinner only had 1.6mm
So about another 100k miles left

This clutch had no where near as much wear and would likely see 600k miles

Starship miles for what Audi designed as mainly a town car

Paul

On a different topic Paul I found the other smoked side repeater for you while sorting out the garage. Now all I’ve got to do is find the other one I had ? doh

:)

Likewise, I hope everyone is staying safe and very nearly as important, being careful to manage mental health. So important. At least this has hit just as the clocks have changes, it's warmed up and generally, the sun's been out. Makes a big difference.

My brother and his other half are both teachers and therefore carry background-check paperwork. In order to do their bit, and frankly, escape the house, they registered as NHS volunteers but also contacted their phamacy. Now most days they do a pharmacy run (up to 30 miles) and the occasional shop for isolated people in at-risk isolation. It's been incredibly positive for all involved. Some people they've delivered to have literally been in tears as Mike or Nat have been the first person they've seen for days.

On the other hand, there are other places where, at a set time, all the neighbours bring a chair out front and all chat from safety of their own gardens. Lots have talked more in the last fortnight than in the previous few years.

I'm doing shopping for my workshop landlord and his 'girlfriend' (a slip of a girl in her late seventies), a unit-neighbour (who's very much at risk) plus my crotchety parents. Therefore can escape the house a bit knowing it's legal, positive and hopefully, a bit helpful as well. I do try to do all the shopping in one hit each time to minimise supermarket visits to two a week where I can. Four full baskets do take some managing though and I'm always relieved to get out of the supermarket and back out into the countryside I have to admit.

As for the Devon car: very quiet. Weekend was disrupted by taking care of this monster for both days: 13 week old Newfoundland. Not mine, she's my Mum's (yes, the crotchety one). She was in dog house after being naughty so it seemed prudent to defuse the situation by nicking her for a bit!

A2OC meet Caddy, Caddy meet A2OC.View attachment 62918

What a cracker of a dog. Blissfully unaware of everything that’s happening in the world, very much like my 9 month old baby, she’s just happy having everyone home.

threw caution to the wind...literally. With the sun blazing down as I left work, a beautiful spring afternoon to enjoy the drive home, I could not help myself and found my finger pressing the switch on the roof for the first time ever.
Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz......grind......wrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr......click. Woooooooooooooshhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Well, at least I know it’s not completely broken, the front section opened reasonably well and gave me a little taster of what life is like at 60mph with the roof open. Much nicer at 30mph, trundling down the lane on the way home. It closed, too!

So, some food for thought. Did I enjoy having the roof open? Yup, at low speed. Should I save up to have it fixed properly? Hmmmmmmm

When you open the roof after quite some time, the technique is to put slight upward pressure on the glass with your fingers whilst operating the switch. I don't have a blind over the rear screen and I do the same with that. You say that you left work? Wow, lucky you to still be able to work in these troubled times! Maybe you're in the NHS?

David

When you open the roof after quite some time, the technique is to put slight upward pressure on the glass with your fingers whilst operating the switch. I don't have a blind over the rear screen and I do the same with that. You say that you left work? Wow, lucky you to still be able to work in these troubled times! Maybe you're in the NHS?

David
The rapidly thinning Blue Line!

Today I fitted a replacement fog light after suffering a breakage to the lense, replacement light cleaned internally prior to fitting & existing light also!
Adjusting screws lubricated with copper slip
To ensure ease of adjustment.
I found this really useful site with setting instructions https://chuxtrux.com/n-19-how-to-aim-fog-lights-driving-lights-the-right-way.html#
I followed these & can confirm they work very well on the A2 fog lights, mine were a mile out prior to this !!
tested at night with only sidelights & foglights illuminated gives drivable lighting .
Hth Keith

Back