Temperature gauge question

Here is an example.

1586385329910.png

and another.

1586385726876.png

Think the petrol 1.4 has a small brass valve on the large flange.

Last edited:
In spite of all the helpful diagrams and photos, I still couldn’t locate the sensor with any certainty (definitely couldn’t find anything with so much as a tinge of green though I’m sure I was in roughly the right place) so I’m going to have to concede defeat. I’m a great disappointment to myself!

Don’t feel too bad, it’s actually quite a tricky job for something so comparatively small, undoing the electrical connection is not easy and unless you are lightning quick you’ll lose a fair bit of fluid as potentially the securing clip. Then there’s the o-ring to check for, or replace, which is seemingly a dealer part only. Then you have to put it together and persuade it to seal properly without leaking. Then you find that there was no fault with the original sensor in the first place, the new one is faulty and you have to go through the whole exercise again.

You might have better luck than me though!

Don’t feel too bad, it’s actually quite a tricky job for something so comparatively small, undoing the electrical connection is not easy and unless you are lightning quick you’ll lose a fair bit of fluid as potentially the securing clip. Then there’s the o-ring to check for, or replace, which is seemingly a dealer part only. Then you have to put it together and persuade it to seal properly without leaking. Then you find that there was no fault with the original sensor in the first place, the new one is faulty and you have to go through the whole exercise again.

You might have better luck than me though!

Thanks, feel a bit better for that but going to leave it to a professional :) . Now wondering whether I could c*** up something as simple as replacing glow plugs as apparently VCDS reported faults on 2 of them. Read tales of woe about the tips breaking inside the cylinder so wondering whether I should leave them alone too.

In spite of all the helpful diagrams and photos, I still couldn’t locate the sensor with any certainty (definitely couldn’t find anything with so much as a tinge of green though I’m sure I was in roughly the right place) so I’m going to have to concede defeat. I’m a great disappointment to myself!
They are not always green, ive heard of black ones.

They are not always green, ive heard of black ones.

sure, and they’ve got 2 pins haven’t they so even more of a problem to replace. This did occur to me, but I didn’t see anything that really look like a sensor of any colour I’m afraid. I wasn’t going to start pulling things apart that I might not be able to reassemble.

Please take a couple of pictures in the area as clear as possible trying to avoid pipework. Post them and we will play pin the tail on the donkey for you... TBH I would not recommend you try to do the glow plugs in case you get the wrong ones as there are 2 different voltages. Another problem is they can shear off in the head. The water temp sensor must be green to have the 2 circuits. If it is any other colour then either a dodgy copy or a single sensor. Using Toms picture item in red is item17 on parts diagram and the blue circle is the temp sensor. Follow the water hoses across 17 then almost directly below the rear is the temp sensor as it plugs into 17.

1586467292345.jpeg

Here’s one I took earlier. I assumed it must be behind the slightly worryingly oily cable (x marks the spot) but feeling around I couldn’t find anything definite and certainly wasn’t going to try tugging anything...
86EB01F7-6D64-4A5C-B2D5-C1AD803D695F.jpeg

Yes you are very close. You can see the rear water pipe come from item 17 ( the part with the metal bracket and nut. I would say you are about an inch too high and need to be a bit nearer the block. If you lowered your camera just to the right of the oily cable pretty sure you will find it.. Just to clarify, the sensor plastic is green but the wiring plug that fits onto it is black.

Last edited:
Yeah I guessed it was probably somewhere behind my x, below the pipe. But even if it was tucked away there it’s too risky me doing anything with it, I couldn’t get my head or phone in further and not going to do it by Braille. You might appreciate my ability level when I say I got a sense of achievement from changing the battery...

Fair comment..Unfortunately the black oily gunk is probably an indication of tandem pump gasket failure as it looks like engine oil and not diesel. Another job to add to your list. ( sorry ):oops:

sure, and they’ve got 2 pins haven’t they so even more of a problem to replace. This did occur to me, but I didn’t see anything that really look like a sensor of any colour I’m afraid. I wasn’t going to start pulling things apart that I might not be able to reassemble.

Don't think that's true.
I recall the thread and am fairly sure there was a mix-up with the black fuel temp sender which is 2 pin.

To add to the confusion, it's not obvious the green 4 pin temp sensor is actually green as the black connector plug hides the green body colour until it's removed
Another pic with the wiring loom bracket removed for clarity - http://www.a2oc.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=12620&d=1372893323

Cheers Spike

Yeah I guessed it was probably somewhere behind my x, below the pipe. But even if it was tucked away there it’s too risky me doing anything with it, I couldn’t get my head or phone in further and not going to do it by Braille. You might appreciate my ability level when I say I got a sense of achievement from changing the battery...
Wise to hold off but I would say generally take the stress out of a job when setting out on your oily hands learning curve. With this job I would say why not drain the coolant first to avoid the mad panic to insert the new sensor with coolant spewing everywhere, choose a time when there no requirement to get the car back on the road for a few days (you can always call out a mobile mechanic [in normal times - some may be working] if you admit defeat, probably just as cheap as a garage), plan what tools you need ( & coolant), for example would angled pliers be ideal for removing the clip?

It looks an awkward job, I don't know being petrol, but chill out take the pressure off yourself, give it a go.

Andy

Last edited:
Wise to hold off but I would say generally take the stress out of a job when setting out on your oily hands learning curve. With this job I would say why not drain the coolant first to avoid the mad panic to insert the new sensor with coolant spewing everywhere, choose a time when there no requirement to get the car back on the road for a few days (you can always call out a mobile mechanic [in normal times - some may be working] if you admit defeat, probably just as cheap as a garage), plan what tools you need ( & coolant), for example would angled pliers be ideal for removing the clip?

It looks an awkward job, I don't know being petrol, but chill out take the pressure off yourself, give it a go.

Andy

And that’s the problem unfortunately, I’ll be fairly stuffed if it doesn't go right and the car is left undriveable. And in these strange times I wouldn’t have a whole lot of options if that happened. So in normal times I might contemplate it but going to leave it for now. It’s not as if I have a serious problem at the moment.

Fair comment..Unfortunately the black oily gunk is probably an indication of tandem pump gasket failure as it looks like engine oil and not diesel. Another job to add to your list. ( sorry ):oops:

Yes it was oil. Oh well......

Some are advertised as a specific opening temperature, and/or stamped on the thermostat itself, as @audifan says. If the thermostat your looking at, or considering buying has neither, then it's a generic, one size fits all item, which, probably doesn't fit anything, especially your pride and joy!
Mac.

Back