Today I.....

Today I changed my shi**y side light bulbs..
£4 for two

Attachments

• 8C1913DB-4536-4283-AAB2-7537E91CBE71.jpeg
    8C1913DB-4536-4283-AAB2-7537E91CBE71.jpeg
    354.8 KB · Views: 185
  • 3E5D16FE-1845-410F-B3B8-FF97EF747184.jpeg
    3E5D16FE-1845-410F-B3B8-FF97EF747184.jpeg
    385.9 KB · Views: 181
Today I changed my shi**y side light bulbs..
£4 for two

And all whilst lying down ! :)

I've tried a couple of LED replacements which always look good to start with but the quality is usually poor, the fit is often a problem, being slightly larger and I usually end up trying to fix/re-solder them and giving up to go back to "reliable" originals. Any recomendations?

I've tried a couple of LED replacements which always look good to start with but the quality is usually poor, the fit is often a problem, being slightly larger and I usually end up trying to fix/re-solder them and giving up to go back to "reliable" originals. Any recomendations?

My 2 pence....

Ive had these on over a year and the side lights give out a nice bright white effect,almost halogen ?

They also seem to have them in 8000K now.

Nice1.

Screenshot_20201203_131521.jpg

Last edited:

You can choose the color you like the most. I bought warm white 4000k (closest color to OEM) more than 2 years ago and still working.

1607001525220.png

Last edited:

Philips WhiteVision Xenon Effect... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00MZQUU70?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
These bad boys
Just a standard bulb but soooo much better

Not sure this will actually make any difference as they don’t get overly hot anyway and surely 2w doesn’t make a substantial difference?

I mentioned it before on a thread specifically about LED lights, but Duncan at Classic Car LEDs only stocks quality replacements that should last as long as the originals - worth a try. Here is the complete email he sent me about upgrading all the exterior lights with LEDs once:

Hi David,

According to the Lucas Guide the fittings are as follows with hyperlinks to the recommended products:

Dipped Beam 477
Main Beam 453 - these may be hard to fit
Front Fog 477
Sidelight 501
Front Indicator 581
Side Repeater 501A
Rear Indicator 581
Stop Tail 380 - in stock next week
Reverse 382
Fog 382
3rd Brake Light - LED
Number Plate 239

Audi's of this age can be a little sensitive to LED upgrades so we cannot guarantee you will not need warning cancellers, which we can supply, to stop bulb out warnings. Your dipped beam lamps may also need adapters though some A2's do not. If you are not sure, please send us pictures of your existing lamp holder.

Not sure this will actually make any difference as they don’t get overly hot anyway and surely 2w doesn’t make a substantial difference?

Apparently it does, unfortunately. The ribbed plastic tubes first turn yellow-ish, then the bulb melts/burns a hole through them. Would not recommend w5w unless LED (if the latter are legal in the UK).

Edit: Picture of headlights on one of mine that I suspect have had W5W in them
NHm3N3H.png

Last edited:
Apparently it does, unfortunately. The ribbed plastic tubes first turn yellow-ish, then the bulb melts/burns a hole through them. Would not recommend w5w unless LED (if the latter are legal in the UK).

Edit: Picture of headlights on one of mine that I suspect have had W5W in them
View attachment 73797
Mmmm not good... best I get some of the led variety sharpishly

Last night I got my car returned after a full service and some other outstanding jobs done by Gary up near Norwich. It now reaches 90C (when the previous garage told me the TDI are designed to run cooler), it now brakes better, the engine is much better now that a dog bone has been replaced. I never knew what one was before.

Some other jobs to save up for and some are more pressing. Front shocks, brake pipes, cambelt, cv joints.... It's a good job I enjoy driving it and it's not really depreciating any more. The biggest hidden cost of modern motoring. :)

Jumping back to the w5w issue here. Will there be any trouble fitting the above mentioned t10 Philips led bulbs? Have seen something about canbus errors... whatever they are

Jumping back to the w5w issue here. Will there be any trouble fitting the above mentioned t10 Philips led bulbs? Have seen something about canbus errors... whatever they are

There are no trouble with theae philips, just remove old ones and insert new ones. Canbus does not include sidelights.

Last edited:
Have owned our A2 (been on road) a year, covering approx 5k.
Cant say its been trouble free, infact its just about the most unreliable car i have ever owned with 2 breakdowns!!
But we all love it!!

Not "today" but this is the First week of using my A2, did a few school runs, Aldi run and Dance club run. Car feels good, boot coped with the shopping (seats down) and probably used half the fuel my Discovery 3 would. still used the Disco to get the Christmas tree though. Issues emerging is the steering wheel doesn't seem straight and the fact I cant use the central locking blipper (long stroy) is a bit annoying when its raining and I have kids to get in the car. Oh I also want to remove the drivers side grab handle as I keep bumping my head on it.

Not used my A2 for a month and decided to take it out today.

Not overly concerned with fuel economy as that wasn’t the point but 46.9 mpg (FSI) is fine for mixed driving.

Today was about getting everything up to operating temperature which a 20 mile round trip does but more about checking battery health. On startup colour DIS was showing 14v ✔, after a couple of miles and the climate increases load and the voltage dropped to 13.6v. Being completely honest this isn’t something I’ve ever noticed before but since it was 4 degrees Celsius outside and the climate is doing its thing, then fine. When the interior got up to temperature and the climate load reduced the voltage went back up to 13.9v which is normal so I’m extremely happy that all is well even after it sitting still for a month.

Last edited:
Back