£900 folly, or sound platform to build on?

Oskar

A2OC Donor
Hi everyone.
I am a new owner of an A2, and have learnt a lot in the last month of ownership. Thanks to all who have posted with really good information about all the quirks and specifics of these great cars.

I was looking for a classic car to work on, but it needed to be ULEZ compliant, so I was stuck with 40 year old bangers, or quite modern, low CO2 'boring' cars. I am sure you will all agree, the A2 really is already a classic, due to its great design and unique features (mainly aluminium chassis).

So, an eBay special for £900 caught my eye. I missed it the first time it was listed, but the winner (?) turned up and refused it, so it was listed again. I should have started thinking a bit deeper at that stage!

It had a fairly recent MOT, and reported 75,000 miles, so how bad could it be?
I knew it had a drivers window issue (but not the details) and a central locking issue, and a need to manually open the fuel flap. Obvioulsy I thought this ALL related to the CCU.
However, as usual with eBay sort of things, I could not help myself and took the train for the 200miles to pick it up.

It's a great colour (Cobalt Blue) and has the features I was looking for (leather steering wheel, 4 seats, all interior bits present, low miles, original radio etc), and apart from what I hope is only wheel balancing, drove the 4 hours home in a very comfortable and predictable manner. All appeared fine.

However, after a lot more investigation, I have found a lot of relatively minor issues. Missing parts where the biggest surprise (yes, I should have seen all of this before purchasing......), but the resolutions required where also not as simple as I expected.

After doing all my research (thanks again to all previous posters), a lot of the symptoms would have suggested a different diagnosis, however even if I had done that level of homework, I think I would have purchased anyway.

The real test will be when I get the 'details' sorted and start using as a daily driver. I'm still confident it will be what I need, but there are still unknown unknowns.
The clutch and cambelt being the main 2.

Here is a list of the repairs required (initial), and some upgrades I would have made on any A2 (where relevant).
I have spent more than the value of the car, but some of that is poor purchasing (mistakes and faulty items), and quite a bit on the stereo upgrade.

I'll try and post about each aspect, as it is completed, to add to the valuable info on the site.

The biggest question I have for now, relates to the bearings at the top of the front suspension struts. I think one (or both) has failed, as there is a strange noise when steering at low speed (parking etc), but I cannot find anything that may cause this on the steering and suspension when inspected. Any suggestions welcome!

Repairs
1. CCU – Central lock cycling - Done
2. Drivers Door micro switch – Won’t show as Open - Waiting on parts
3. Under bonnet part re-attachment – drains and other parts loose and hanging - Done
4. Wheel balancing – 2 fronts
5. Drivers Window mechanism – Cables broken. New frame required - Done
6. Fuel flap switch – switch missing cap - Done
7. Alarm switch – switch missing cap - Done
8. Nearside front liner - missing - Done
9. Undertray - missing - Will fit purchased item soon
10. Jackpoint cover – OS front missing - Done
11. Speaker grill – Rear NS broken - Done
12. Key replacement – buttons illegible - Done
13. Add some oil! - Done
14. Possible front strut bearing replacement
15. It will (likely) need a new clutch. The engagement only happens at the end of the travel.

Upgrades
a) Stereo upgrade to Concert 1 – Chorus 1 won’t take Bluetooth - Waiting on head unit (third one!)
b) Rear speaker addition – I only had fronts - Done
c) Amplifier fitment – Want a big sound. Possible future speaker upgrade also - Done
d) Bluetooth – Connect2 to be added to Concert 1 - Waiting on head unit
e) Space-saver spare – Full size spare won’t fit under floor - Waiting delivery
f) VCDS Lite - Done
g) Oil dipstick addition under bonnet – inspection panel dipstick has broken end - Done

Cheers

Matt

Attachments

• Oskar_intro.jpeg
    Oskar_intro.jpeg
    341.4 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Hi there

Cobalt Blue is a great colour and it looks like you have made great progress so far. As to suspension, it is the ferrous parts that of course can show their age. Difficult to say without pictures but it is likely that suspension could do with attention even thou the mileage is low just on age (and the state of uk roads) I have been spreading the cost of pulling together the parts to refresh the front suspension of mine, including shocks, springs, bump stops and covers, top mounts and drop links and various nuts and bolts. At the moment my wishbones and bushes are sound. My clutch also bites quite high up but shows no sign of slipping and doesn’t make any horrid noises so not a panic for me at the moment.

Best of luck, I would say a sound if previously un loved purchase

J

Don’t beat yourself up on the purchase! Looks like a sound base and most cars at this age have all gone through a period of lower level maintenance/care. Great progress, well done.

I have not updated generally about the ‘folly’ nature of Oskar, however first MOT attempt in my ownership today, which was a pass with no advisories.

Almost too good to be true, as that rear axle will not have become less corroded on its own!!!!!

Anyway, there is nothing immediate that I was expecting it to fail on, and I have spent weeks and ‘000’s on it, so should expect a pass.
Rear axle to be done over the next year, possibly a disc conversion.

I live in a small town full of Rangerovers and my garage is a small private one in the middle of nowhere, so to see another A2 on the hoist when I picked up was a real surprise.
I have not seen this around (and it would be noticed!).
527de7590369180b8c9a0799d2926054.jpg

Anyone here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

For heavy lifting you could try B&F Autos in West Hounslow. Clutches and cambelts and so on. Suspension etc. They are just up the M4 and do not charge "silly"money. Not a lot they don't know about all matters A2.

My recommendation is don’t convert to disc. My FSi experience is the discs and calipers constantly need attention as they take so little load, on such a light car.

My recommendation is don’t convert to disc. My FSi experience is the discs and calipers constantly need attention as they take so little load, on such a light car.
If you drive with the handbrake on slightly I've found them to be trouble free

The splash guard on my FSI needed a clean up when I bought it, 4 years and about 10,00 miles ago, nothing since. So, not my experience.
Mac.

Back