085 DS (1.2 TDI) gearbox problem

Ultranomad

Hi colleagues, I'm having a problem similar to a couple of past threads - I am starting a new one merely to avoid confusion.
When I had just bought the car, it would only start in N, not in P, and I thought it was intentional. The gearbox and engine otherwise worked fine.
Now, I am having the following symptoms:
The hydraulic pump works normally. The engine starts in N as usual. The reverse gear does not engage anymore at all. Switching to D and releasing the brake engages the forward gear, but the clutch also engages instantly (or is already engaged), so the car jerks forward and stalls. After that, the engine can no longer be started until I pull the gearbox control fuses (43/44) and put them back in.
Doing the same (switching to D and releasing the brake) while facing down a steep hill gets the car going, and if I keep driving, it switches the gears up and down normally until I come to a full stop.
If I understand correctly, the culprit is probably either the gear lever position sensor or the clutch position sensor - which one is it supposed to be, and what else do I need to check? I do have a diagnostic cable and VAG-COM.

Not starting in P is almost certainly due to the potentiometer in the clutch actuator starting to fail. I'm assuming that the car has not been neglected, e.g. the transmission has had the required periodic basic settings etc. You have two options 1). Replace the clutch actuator or 2). send the sensor end only to Mankmil on the German forum and he will replace the potentiometer with a Hall sensor. The latter option will be cheaper and outlive a potentiometer as it is a non-wearing part. Mankmil is fine with English.

mankmil/

RAB

I'm assuming that the car has not been neglected, e.g. the transmission has had the required periodic basic settings etc. You have two options 1). Replace the clutch actuator or 2). send the sensor end only to Mankmil on the German forum and he will replace the potentiometer with a Hall sensor. The latter option will be cheaper and outlive a potentiometer as it is a non-wearing part. Mankmil is fine with English.
The previous owner seems to have taken good care of the car, but I haven't done the basic settings yet. Shall I do any testing before undertaking repairs? Do I need any info in addition to the original Audi shop manuals? I'm an aircraft maintenance engineer by trade, so I'm used to doing things by the book :cool:

The previous owner seems to have taken good care of the car, but I haven't done the basic settings yet. Shall I do any testing before undertaking repairs? Do I need any info in addition to the original Audi shop manuals? I'm an aircraft maintenance engineer by trade, so I'm used to doing things by the book :cool:
If you are planning on repairing the car yourself, you will need VCDS software and lead to do the basic setting. If you replace the clutch actuator you will need to do a basic setting with VCDS. The alternative would be to replace the actuator yourself (with or without the Hall sensor) and get the car transported to an Audi or VW agent. The car will not be driveable before the basic setting is done. This also assumes that you have an Audi or VW agent that is familiar with the procedure - this can be a problem even in Germany! So I would recommend that you purchase VCDS yourself - you will find it essential for 1.2Tdi ownership.

For a manual, Elsawin is the best option.

RAB

If you are planning on repairing the car yourself, you will need VCDS software and lead to do the basic setting.
Will a generic cable and VAG-COM v. 409.1-S suffice? I used it to check the car before buying and I know it does support basic settings, the question is whether it's missing anything important for repairs.
Also, which version of Elsawin should I be looking for?

In all probability it won't do everything you want but if it does basic settings, that's a start.

RAB

Back