1.2Tdi Sunset

G

Guest 4123

1.2Tdi ownership will become a thing of the past for me in the next few months. I reserved an ID3 on Sunday; I've been looking for one for sometime. I wanted the longer range model but Wifey insisted on five seats (for once in a blue moon use), so that was that. Spotted an ex-demo ID3 locally with 500 miles and a good price.

The main reason for changing is that most of the use for the A2 is now in France, so if it's going to break down, it will be in France. I don't mind that if I'm on my own but with family? I've given up taking the cats with me because breaking down with the cats would be a nightmare! The last time I took it to France, the freewheeling pulley on the alternator disintegrated just after arrival; it took the local garage about a week to find a replacement pulley and fit it. The time before that, I was returning to our house from Limoges and stopped at some lights in Chalus. The lights changed and no start. Fortunately there was a downhill exit to the right and I was able to freewheel out. Also, I'd left VCDS at the house! Never travel abroad in a 1.2Tdi without VCDS! After walking around trying to think what to do, I tried to restart. Success! Switched off Eco mode and drove home without incident. I was out testing the car a few days later and the the same thing happened but I had VCDS with me. Quickly diagnosed as a loose plug on the gearbox actuator. I went to France in the Lupo in December and just after I returned, the alternator failed - one of the brushes had parted company with its lead.

Breaking down in the UK is fine if you have breakdown cover but European breakdown is usually limited to 15 years. There's a reason for that!

I'll miss the range of the A2 - 1100km against 400 for the ID3. I can fill up in Eastbourne and arrive in Perigord with fuel to spare! Range anxiety will replace A2 anxiety but the former is easier to manage. The only thing I won't miss on the A2 is the wooden suspension!

RAB

1.2Tdi ownership will become a thing of the past for me in the next few months. I reserved an ID3 on Sunday; I've been looking for one for sometime. I wanted the longer range model but Wifey insisted on five seats (for once in a blue moon use), so that was that. Spotted an ex-demo ID3 locally with 500 miles and a good price.

The main reason for changing is that most of the use for the A2 is now in France, so if it's going to break down, it will be in France. I don't mind that if I'm on my own but with family? I've given up taking the cats with me because breaking down with the cats would be a nightmare! The last time I took it to France, the freewheeling pulley on the alternator disintegrated just after arrival; it took the local garage about a week to find a replacement pulley and fit it. The time before that, I was returning to our house from Limoges and stopped at some lights in Chalus. The lights changed and no start. Fortunately there was a downhill exit to the right and I was able to freewheel out. Also, I'd left VCDS at the house! Never travel abroad in a 1.2Tdi without VCDS! After walking around trying to think what to do, I tried to restart. Success! Switched off Eco mode and drove home without incident. I was out testing the car a few days later and the the same thing happened but I had VCDS with me. Quickly diagnosed as a loose plug on the gearbox actuator. I went to France in the Lupo in December and just after I returned, the alternator failed - one of the brushes had parted company with its lead.

Breaking down in the UK is fine if you have breakdown cover but European breakdown is usually limited to 15 years. There's a reason for that!

I'll miss the range of the A2 - 1100km against 400 for the ID3. I can fill up in Eastbourne and arrive in Perigord with fuel to spare! Range anxiety will replace A2 anxiety but the former is easier to manage. The only thing I won't miss on the A2 is the wooden suspension!

RAB
Wow! Does that mean a lovely 3L will be coming up for sale?

I can well understand your reasoning RAB and hope that you are staying with us. Your 1.2 tdi shared knowledge is much appreciated.

Not one but two Erling! My wife has given up driving the Lupo after driving the daughter's Up - no power steering! So she'll have the E-Up. I won't be selling for sometime as both V5s are with the DVLA for what will probably turn out out to be a failure to get EU4 on the document.

RAB

Not one but two Erling! My wife has given up driving the Lupo after driving the daughter's Up - no power steering! So she'll have the E-Up. I won't be selling for sometime as both V5s are with the DVLA for what will probably turn out out to be a failure to get EU4 on the document.

RAB
Well I would be interested in discussing the A2 with you at least. Though I’m sure there will be a queue of flapping cheque books!

Well I would be interested in discussing the A2 with you at least. Though I’m sure there will be a queue of flapping cheque books!
I'd prefer to sell it to someone who knows what they're buying, so you should have a good chance! There will be an exam though!

RAB

Congrats!

But keep your A2 as it may still come handy; neighboors ID3 has been towed to dealership three times already?

I might be interested, but I'm sure I will fail the exam though.

I actually posted a request in the wanted section a while ago, thinking it would be a long shot.

I collected the A2's replacement yesterday.

RAB

Attachments

• 100_1546.JPG
    100_1546.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 204
Not yet David. Before it goes, I will change the cambelt, change the alternator brushes/regulator (the same item on the Lupo failed recently at fewer miles) and change the gearbox actuator for one that will give more changes before the hydraulic pump re-starts. So will be for sale in a few weeks time.

RAB

P.M. sent. I am fully aware that other members have already expressed an interest in your A2

Last edited:
After driving the ID3 for a few days, my best advice if you're thinking of taking a test drive in one: DON'T. It might be fatal for your enthusiasm for your A2! If I didn't know better, I would be sure that the front struts on my A2 are two lengths of 3x3. Was this a consequence of the Elk tests on the Mercedes A class? The Lupo 3L, a lighter car, doesn't have this problem. One small gripe for the ID3; no CD player or am I showing my age?

RAB

Back