Chat 1.4 Tdi Fuel Consumption

DIS reported just over 70mpg over a 120 mile journey recently. That was mainly motorway with cruising speeds of 65-70.

We got 71 mpg in our tdi a couple of months ago, all motorway but the 1st hour was stop start traffic, so could have been better.

You people must be driving like saints!

I'm doing a lot of miles, mostly A & B roads, but a bit more motorway the last couple of weeks - but I'd say I drive it quite hard, (but with some mechanical sympathy and carrying of speed)! I'm used to much faster/sportier cars!

It's an '01 75bhp model, chipped to 100bhp (apparently) - averaging just over 53mpg, which I was pretty impressed with!!!
I've never managed to get it below 51mpg, no matter how hard I thrash it!!!

I have to add that I got it Terracleaned the week before maybe that was the reason. I too use mine for work and it used to average 53ish its up to the low 60's now. I do try to keep the revs at 2200 (point at which max torque is developed) which only equates to 58 mph though.

I'm doing a lot of miles, mostly A & B roads, but a bit more motorway the last couple of weeks - but I'd say I drive it quite hard, (but with some mechanical sympathy and carrying of speed)! I'm used to much faster/sportier cars!

It's an '01 75bhp model, chipped to 100bhp (apparently) - averaging just over 53mpg, which I was pretty impressed with!!!
What's terracleaning all about then? And how much does that cost? 🤔

I had my ‘01 TDI Remapped last week by Timmus, and it managed 67mpg overall over 110 miles mixed and sometimes very quick driving. But, I also used the newly fitted cruise control, when not ‘testing’ the remap… Plus, I run the car exclusively BP Ultimate.

I have to add that I got it Terracleaned the week before maybe that was the reason. I too use mine for work and it used to average 53ish its up to the low 60's now. I do try to keep the revs at 2200 (point at which max torque is developed) which only equates to 58 mph though.
Exactly what I do on the motorway and for the same reason, except it's showing me 60mph. Resetting the average on the DIS at every brimmed fill-up, I'm currently getting 63-65mpg on my general 20-mile commute, and up to 72mpg on a long motorway run.

Exactly what I do on the motorway and for the same reason, except it's showing me 60mph. Resetting the average on the DIS at every brimmed fill-up, I'm currently getting 63-65mpg on my general 20-mile commute, and up to 72mpg on a long motorway run.
What fuel are you using? The BP Ultimate make my engine run smoother, and the extra economy (circa 8%) if you don’t make use of the the higher cetane rating cancels out the extra price difference at the pump.

As I'm currently in the UK myself - do people experience big differences in mpg between supermarket (e.g. Tesco) regular Diesel and "brand" Diesel (BP/Shell etc.)? As price difference seems to be nonexistant now (saw Tesco 1,98 vs. BP 1,99 today) is there any reason to go for supermarket?#
(Do prices not change hourly throughout the day like they do in Germany?)

Coming up from Germany with Star/Orlen Diesel and going 56 to 62 mph in my TDI90, I managed 74mpg up to Durham with a bunch of stops, sleepovers and jams, while on the Tesco fuel taken on there, I've been struggling to get 63 mpg (a difference of 0,7l/100km or 20%) while barely doing 50mph half the time and otherwise going as economically as possible.

It's a fair guess that, over and above the common base fuel stock, the detergents & other additives in the supermarket stuff will just meet the minimum UK legal requirements, as fuel is likely a loss-leader/minimum profit item for them; whereas the branded stuff will probably have more additives as the brand's whole reputation relies on their product. But thus far you're also experiencing the difference - if there is one - between German (or at least European) and UK fuel. I'd still stick to the branded stuff if there's no real price difference though.

Last edited:
There’s a sizeable minority of us who put the cheapest diesel we can find in the tank, along with a dose of an additive to top up the cleaning agent and cetane levels to something approaching super diesel levels. Best of both worlds.

There’s a sizeable minority of us who put the cheapest diesel we can find in the tank, along with a dose of an additive to top up the cleaning agent and cetane levels to something approaching super diesel levels. Best of both worlds.
Me included. Just now and again, the expensive stuff.

What's terracleaning all about then? And how much does that cost? 🤔
I first heard about Terraclean on on episode of "Wheeler Dealers" way back. Its a professionally applied engine treatment that purges carbon build up in the engine. I first had it applied to a Corsa diesel which had a stuck turbo and then subsequently on a Volvo diesel and finally on the A2. In all cases it made a marked improvement to turbo response and overall performance. It costs (here in the North East anyway) £120 for a sub 2 litre engine.

What fuel are you using? The BP Ultimate make my engine run smoother, and the extra economy (circa 8%) if you don’t make use of the the higher cetane rating cancels out the extra price difference at the pump.
I use Costco premium diesel-it's nearly always the same price as their regular diesel (187.7 per litre at the last fill up).

I had my ‘01 TDI Remapped last week by Timmus, and it managed 67mpg overall over 110 miles mixed and sometimes very quick driving. But, I also used the newly fitted cruise control, when not ‘testing’ the remap… Plus, I run the car exclusively BP Ultimate.
Where did you get the cruise control fitted and how much did it cost?

Filled up at Asda (sorry) and drove 560miles round trip out of the county and back. I'm about 15 miles off the 'fog horn' reserve noise.

That's a record for this car, normally getting 400 miles click to horn.

The fuel economy is hammered by the hills where I live so if this was all motorway/A roads in central England I'd imagine you could smash 600 miles click to clanger.

Back