1.4tdi

AndyA2

Hello hope your all keeping safe can anyone tell me are all 1.4tdi engines chain driven mines a 2002

Thanks for taking time to read this

none of them are, they all have a cambelt. after mid 2002 the tensioner arrangement changed on the tdi but all have a belt.
the oil pump is chain driven.

I've seen a few dealer cars advertised recently as having a "chain driven engine - so more reliable", I was wondering the same thing as a result! So thanks for asking the question and to @georgem for confirming.

There is one on gumtree locally saying this. I was interested in buying and sent the owner a message but he’s not replying. Also says trade but it’s pictured in a lay-by. Also says recently traded in but there’s snow on the ground in the pic.

I think maybe I put him off in my first text saying the AMF was belt driven timing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Pinkythelabrat I was looking at the same car thought I might purchase a back up for the garage but now you've said that I need too step back and give some more thought

I probably just put his back up. I’m just suspicious. Might be nothing to it and it’s cheap. I’d probably still have bought it if he’d ever replied.

Hi Andy, VW seem to make good belt drives ,their chain drives however do need replacement ,so on the 3cylinder engine I would check the chain drive if it has not been replaced in last 80 000 km ,if the chain fails the engine could be well and truly history...
Cheers al

I asked him today to send me some more pictures especially inside I'm in London I wanted to be sure before I do the trip up too Scotland

I'm going to leave that car it's now been listed in 4 different places I'm sure one advert is enough shame I was looking forward to driving it down too London

They are all places pretty easy to travel from east Glasgow. I assume he’s trying to capture a broader range of customers. All his cars are multiply listed from Glasgow to near Edinburgh. That’s less of a worry than the lack of replies.

They are all places pretty easy to travel from east Glasgow. I assume he’s trying to capture a broader range of customers. All his cars are multiply listed from Glasgow to near Edinburgh. That’s less of a worry than the lack of replies.

I see your point if I lived local I'd be there like a shot love these cars want a second one but I'm in London if I knew the car better I'd make the trip and it would be a joy and adventure driving that back too London

Got a reply by using a different phone. Was going to go and view but...

CAT D registered in 2005
CAT C registered in 2009
12 owners not 2 as claimed on ad
140,000 miles last MOT, not 120000 as in ad
Untaxed since January, not a recent trade in really...

I have my doubts.

Got a reply by using a different phone. Was going to go and view but...

CAT D registered in 2005
CAT C registered in 2009
12 owners not 2 as claimed on ad
140,000 miles last MOT, not 120000 as in ad
Untaxed since January, not a recent trade in really...

I have my doubts.

12 owners o_O

£775 and it looks pretty straight.

How do you catD write off a three year old car though? ALL paint damaged? It looks original...

Back