[1.6 BAD - GKZ Gearbox] - Separate Inner CV from Driveshaft

Evripidis

Hi all,

I have a question about this as I have not been able to find a solid answer from a previous thread. I used google and not the forum search function.

Do I need a press to remove the inner CV joint from the driveshaft or will it come off with a hammer? I am not talking about the bonded OUTER joint.

ELSA dictates that a press is needed to remove and refit the joint.

Regards,
Evros

Here is a video where you remove the inner CV joints on a Polo. Seems to be fitted with only one retaining ring.
Volkswagen Polo 1.4 TDI 9N Inner CV Boot Replacement
It seems like the right inner CV joint, specific to A2 BAD, is discontinued.

I have just replaced the right outer CV joint och the wheel bearing. I plan to start with the left side later this week.

Hi,

I am baffled now as my suspicion appears to be true; the inner CV joints are sided on the 1.6?

Evros

The CV joints I believe are not sided the TDi version in this video are different to the FSI ones they are the same as the 1.4 petrol I believe. And will be the same as a few other VW group boxes from this period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the inner joints I get:
1J0 498 103 AX -> quantity=1
6Q0 498 103B -> quantity=2

Does this actually suggest that they are identical maybe and the parts interchangeable regarding their fitment?

Evros

For the inner joints I get:
1J0 498 103 AX -> quantity=1
6Q0 498 103B -> quantity=2

Does this actually suggest that they are identical maybe and the parts interchangeable regarding their fitment?

Evros

1J0 is a golf mk4 part
6Q0 I think is the polo 6n part not 100% on this but not an a2 only part

Quite sure when I did this job an inner works on both sides could be wrong

Hi, got the part numbers form ETKA. I am in Cyprus and getting the right parts in an economic way is alway a challenge. I would go the autodoc/etc. route in such cases. This is why I am trying to make sure.

Hi, got the part numbers form ETKA. I am in Cyprus and getting the right parts in an economic way is alway a challenge. I would go the autodoc/etc. route in such cases. This is why I am trying to make sure.

I don’t you can get these on autodoc, couldn’t last time I checked

Also seems to give 3 different part numbers for both sides. There was a guy on eBay selling the complete shafts as the inner cv is a horrid messy job!

For the left inner? They are probably alternatives.

RAB

So, they only "real-world" solution would be to take them out and have a look !?

I would order them based on the part numbers on the online part catalog. Seems to be lots available. But would advise getting a whole drive shaft if you can as it’s a pig of a job.

Replaced them today with FAG parts. Both were 1J0498103AX. Absolutely no difference between the two sides other than the rubber boot like I suspected initially.

Not any messier than any other car if I am honest.

A late reply to your thread. I am in the process of replacing my gearbox and have also replaced both inner CV joints. The CV joints are identical but the boots are diffrent.
My findings:
  • Outer CV joints are identical
  • Inner CV joints are idential except for the Boot.
  • On the right side the Boot has a hole with a 27 mm diameter (the hole at the driveshaft side)
  • On the left side the Boot has a hole with a 22 mm diameter (the hole at the driveshaft side, as the shorter driveshaft has a smaller diameter)
  • The left side boot with a 22 mm diameter, order number 1K0498201E, has been discontinued but can be ordered from Audi Tradition in Germany.
  • The CV joint is easy to replace. and the left side can be replaced without removing the driveshaft from the wheel bearing.

Last edited:
@steaman Hi! I was about to start a new thread asking for some help and then saw your post!

Yes this must be it. I can vaguely remember pushing hard to make it fit and then doing them all up using jubilee clips. Not strangely enough, I have the car on jack stands at the moment and all boots seem to be holding up just fine and even more strange is the fact that they are still squeaky-clean!

My suspicion was indeed correct then and now it has been verified.

Back