1.6 FSi Is it that bad?

So hello everyone I just want to hear if anyone has had positive experiences or not negative experiences with the 1.6FSi. I’m really tempted by a low mileage one (59k) I’ve seen listed but not sure I should go to visit. Surely they can’t all be bad or need tons of work on them before they’re good to go? What do I look for if I went to see or Is it always a gamble? Ps for anyone who saw my last post the 62k 1.4 petrol I saw, the drive was nice enough and would been good but was so tatty I couldn’t bring myself to buy it. Not looking for a project, looking for a daily runaround that doesn’t upset me when I get in to see it every morning...

In my opinion no and having owned every variant I think it’s the pick of the bunch. Far more free revving than the diesels, plenty of low rev torque and light handling/gearchange too.

I was a massive sceptic for years and was always keen to make an FSI joke but now that I’ve got one I really like it.

In my opinion no and having owned every variant I think it’s the pick of the bunch. Far more free revving than the diesels, plenty of low rev torque and light handling/gearchange too.

I was a massive sceptic for years and was always keen to make an FSI joke but now that I’ve got one I really like it.
Thank you for that. Any advice on what to look out for that could point towards a disaster ridden journey of ownership? Or do I just drive it and see if I like the feel of it?

Yes it is that BAD. No other words to describe it. We still keep ours. Mostly on jack stands; at the moment because another coolant hose decided to go bust. Brand new from the dealer 150 EUR. Un-repairable in a DIY fashion so got it new from ebay waiting for it to be delivered to Cyprus.

In response to @A2Steve - a highly trusted A2 breaker/aficionado and good friend I hope ? - IFF you have the skills, parts, time, money and patience, then and only then , in my opinion the 1.6 could be a not that BAD.

Yes it is that BAD. No other words to describe it. We still keep ours. Mostly on jack stands; at the moment because another coolant hose decided to go bust. Brand new from the dealer 150 EUR. Un-repairable in a DIY fashion so got it new from ebay waiting for it to be delivered to Cyprus.

In response to @A2Steve - a highly trusted A2 breaker/aficionado and good friend I hope ? - IFF you have the skills, parts, time, money and patience, then and only then , in my opinion the 1.6 could be a not that BAD.
Oh dear. This is more like what I expected. So did it just start happening or are there clues? Everyone talks about all the issues as though they were there from the start. Any good years to look out for or are they all a massive gamble?

Make sure the EML illuminates when turning on the ignition as some unscrupulous owners disable the led. Also best to have a VCDS scan done. They're (FSI) great when running properly though it's a complex engine which many mechanics don't understand.

I sort of inherited ours but from what I have gathered in my time servicing it and being around this lively bunch of a forum; even regularly serviced cars exhibit no fewer issues than mine.

The A2 is a solidly built car but you will find yourself being annoyed more than enjoying it; is what I find myself regularly saying. Many silly things break whereas simple jobs are not that simple.

The cooling system is a grenade but I am sure you must have found most of the issues reading up on here. I will not list what I have come across as I am beginning to forget them as they happened with them being so many.

I cannot get rid of it because the used car market over here is horrendous and I'd rather keep the devil I know.

Make sure the EML illuminates when turning on the ignition as some unscrupulous owners disable the led. Also best to have a VCDS scan done. They're (FSI) great when running properly though it's a complex engine which many mechanics don't understand.

No offense; but I'd replace "understand" with "bother with". :D

Mine is pristine and a low mileage example and I love it.

I’ve had a TDI 75 previously and whilst reliable it’s noisy (I have a modern diesel too so the TDI was too agricultural for me), the FSI however is quiet, free revving and old school hot hatch quick. It has a completely different character/personality so much so you wouldn’t expect them to be that different, but they are.

Lots negative have been written about it and I read all of it (can be disheartening) and still opted for the FSI. If it’s been looked after and you know what to look out for then it’s probably the one to get. For the not so healthy ones there is the proboost option.

Last edited:
My FSI is also low mileage, much like @Jeetesh I am very happy with it, all the A2 attributes, plus va va vroom.
Yes, they demand the best fuel (98/99 octane, V Power for preference) and fluids. Our FSI shares daily duties with a Mk1 TT, and both deliver a sporty drive.
Definitely the best one to have, modern engine in a modern body design. Along with the 1.4, they are the only ULEZ compliant A2, which will sooner or later (probably sooner) make it the only viable version for most of us. I'm no Greta fan, but emissions, particularly diesel particulates, are bad, so if you run an older car, the cleanest is a good choice.
I'd strongly recommend that you get it scanned before handing over your pennies. As long as it has a clean sheet, some service history and an MoT record that shows it's been cared for, go for it.
Sure, you'll find folk who have had a bad experience, and some who have second hand bad experiences (but not actually owned one), but you don't have to look very hard to see that diesel A2s are not all paragons of fault free virtue, and low mileage diesel are hard (as in Unicorn droppings) to find.
Not the cheapest to run, but by far the most fun!
Good luck.
Mac.

Any used car is a gamble, VCDS scan if seller allows is the only real option to assess running order, apart from from anything that does not look or feel right. Service and MOT history worth scrutinising.

Can you not post a link to the car in question, or at least as many details as possible, otherwise we are in the dark. The price of low mileage FSIs is going through the roof at the moment.

I have been happy with my FSI, had it ten years from the days when I seemed to be in a minority of one on here. Sure it has cost money, all cars do with only one big bill (flaps).

Andy

Last edited:
I wouldn’t limit it to low mileage examples either. Mine is a 127k £400 (then) boarderline breaker. For the last 6 months of ownership I had no EML issues at all while running the Pro Boost map. The EML light has now come on but that’s only because I’ve had a turbo system strapped onto it.

Any used car is a gamble, VCDS scan if seller allows is the only real option to assess running order, apart from from anything that does not look or feel right. Service and MOT history worth scrutinising.

Can you not post a link to the car in question, or at least as many details as possible, otherwise we are in the dark. The price of low mileage FSIs is going through the roof at the moment.

I have been happy with my FSI, had it ten years from the days when I seemed to be in a minority of one on here. Sure it has cost money, all cars do with only one big bill (flaps).

Andy
I just found a great car on Auto Trader:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202009043292395
1600559669365.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been one of the 'few' to raise a head above the parapet and proudly sing fsi praises through long term ownership despite the mickey taking it's received over the years. It's welcome to see that people are finally changing their views and are getting to enjoy what is essentially a great fun car.

They're an enjoyable car to drive, please don't rely on youtube videos on them, you're not necessarily getting the real deal. These channels are promoting themselves and don't 'necessarily' have access to a well sorted car, or get to drive one for weeks on end, more often commenting on a cheap car they've just picked up with high mileage all original and 'hanging'

'Hanging'
- means the suspension is way past it's 'use by date', and in need of complete renewal.These You tubers then comment how bad the A2 handles which of course is wrong. If replaced with sensible tried and tested components Ie, standard springs and Bilstine B4 shocks the car is a real joy to drive and with the addition of a rear anti - roll bar makes for a very good handling car especially on sports wheels and suspension. For me at the moment i find a good compromise is the se spring with sports wheels you get slightly softer springing allowing more compliance,the wider 205 rubber on the sports wheels enables the car to attack corners with gusto tracking beautifully with no understeer.

As for the engine, they can be problematic through neglect and all of them suffer with carbon build up in the lower inlet manifold if run on cheap fuel, unless they've had a caring owner who has stuck to the Audi stipulated high octane fuel and regular oil changes. The plastic thermostat housing and tiny y - piece connectors go brittle over time and crack. There's a plastic water pipe that runs at the back of the engine that will go eventually although mine was still good at near 90k when it was changed for new as 'we were in there anyway' at cam belt time. Oil changes are vital imo and should be changed at least every 10k miles minimum. Sadly one can't insure against Audi quality at this time, early 2000's regarding coil packs and sensors but they're not too expensive to renew anyway.

As i say, a well looked after car thats running right is a joy to drive and very good on fuel too. You just need to judge from service history and receipts what your getting yourself into as assuming you've already carried out a vcds scan. As a bonus none of it is insurmountable with the help thats available on this forum.

Last edited:

Aside from various marks around the rear arches and bumper, from the photos the car looks quite good. Rear headrests missing and various nicks to the paintwork around the extremities would imply a elderly previous owner to me.

Back