1.6 FSi Throttle body calibration?

Rhino-Neil

Hi. all.

I have just removed the inlet manifolds (upper and lower) & fixed the actuator arm for the manifold flaps.
Decoked everything, cleaned and flushed the injectors & fuel rail and re-fitted everything to the car.
The only problem i am having now is the throttle body needs to be re-calibrated.

Is there anyone out there that can come to me and recode it for a drink.?

I am in Littlehampton, West Sussex. BN17

I know i should buy VCDS but funds are very tight at the moment and don't have £80 spare to buy it.

Or does anyone know of a way to calibrate it without the VCDS?

You really need VCDS, but you could try turning to ignition (to point where dash lights up - not start the engine) and leaving it in that position for 4 minutes then turning off.

I've never tested doing it this way though, but no harm can be done.

Don't touch the accelerator pedal though.

Sarge

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi. all.

I have just removed the inlet manifolds (upper and lower) & fixed the actuator arm for the manifold flaps.
Decoked everything, cleaned and flushed the injectors & fuel rail and re-fitted everything to the car.
The only problem i am having now is the throttle body needs to be re-calibrated.

Is there anyone out there that can come to me and recode it for a drink.?

I am in Littlehampton, West Sussex. BN17

I know i should buy VCDS but funds are very tight at the moment and don't have £80 spare to buy it.

Or does anyone know of a way to calibrate it without the VCDS?

There are various methods that have been mentioned but nobne are guaranteed to work

One you can try is

Disconnect the negative terminal from the battery and wait about 15 minutes or so. Reconnect the terminal and insert fob and turn to ACC and then you should start to hear the TB clicking as it tries to self align. Wait at least 3 minutes until you stop hearing the engine clicking and there is NO noise coming fom the compartment...pull fob start her up.

Worth trying.

Others say simply turn key to ON (don't start the car) Don't tough the throttle or anything, after three minutes turn off, then try and start the car.

Sounds a bit far fetched but again, worth a try perhaps?

Steve B

Code 2101 is Generic throttle actuator Ctr motor circ low. Perhaps a member with knowledge can translate this for you soon. :confused:

I believe it is throwing this code because the it see's the TB calibration is out from the expected parameters.

If you were close by then I'd run a TBA for you but that's not possible.

Disconnect car battery, leave for some 15 minutes then reconnect, insure battery has good charge, reconnect battery and turn to ignition and leave for at least 4 minutes. You should hear the throttle body buzzing away.

If not then VCDS is it.

Sarge

Update:

Took the plunge and bought vcds lite.
Connected up to the car and got an error code.
first try  ecm.png
now i dont know what to do.

Last edited:
Turn the key on but do not start the car.

• [Select]
  • [01 - Engine]
  • [Measuring Blocks - 08]

Enter Group 060

• [Go!]
  • [Switch to basic settings]

Once you do this you will see the top right display say ADP RUN. The TB adaptation is being done as soon as you switch to basic settings. You will see the values change and hear the TB cycle for the first few seconds then it will stop. Leave it in Basic Settings for about 30 seconds.

• [Switch to Meas. Blocks] button and you're all set.

Be sure not to touch the accelerator and make sure the engine is NOT running when you do this!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: chb
Did not get as far as the calibration.
I typed in code 060 and that is what appeared on the screen.
I even cleared the error codes and cycled the key and restarted vcds and got the same results.
if i crank the engine is does start and run(ish).

Update:
I took the throtle body off and dismantled it into its components, cleaned everything with electrical contact cleaner .
(> http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-contact-cleaner-200ml-n61an <)
Re-assembled it and lubed any moving part with some PTFE grease.
Fitted new gasket and throttle body back on engine.
Turned the key and it twitched and buzzed.
Connected pc with vcds and cleared the fault codes.
Went to block 060 and got 'ADP OK' :D
Waited about 45 seconds then clicked 'Done'Switched off ing then cranked the engine and it started up with no worries.

Will be taking it out for test drive tomorrow.

Well done! I did the same a few week ago and when it was dissmantled it was so easy to open the trottle and clean the Housing were the trottle valve normally is parked. I also cleaned the slip ring and I really think it runs smoother now.

Last edited:
Back