1.6 poor running no fault codes showing

jasonh

Hi,
I've only got vcds lite and a cheap cable, but this did show p1081 faults ane egr (the pipe has been blocked at both ends.
However after sorting the inlet manifold, the car ran really well (almost hot hatch)...
Now after around 20 miles there is no power and poor rough running. There are no fault codes showing however.
I'm thinking plugs or injectors, I did change the fuel filter for new so might change it back again. I was careful to fit the correct way round but you never know.
Still confused why no fault codes at all.
I've got a can of egr cleaner, which I'm tempted to use today

Any help guys???

Just a small update. Double checked fuel filter again and all correct direction.

I was going to try the cleaner spray, but noticed thar the car stalls when the air intake pipe after the maf sensor is disconnected. I didn't expect this, can anyone confirm this is incorrect.
Still no scan codes showing any clues...

Hi. With no fault codes showing i would assume it's either air or fuel related. Have you, changed or checked air filter? You say you changed fuel filter was this for an oem or original version? Any strong smell of petrol from engine area? Did you use new seals on intake manifold, injectors when reassembling? Re check tightness of all fixing bolts for egr intake manifold and also check metal flexi joint on egr pipe?
Steve

No fuel smell, I didn't mistaken ly change injector seals (they were excellent condition however).
The fuel filter is non oem, but I have sapped back to original with no change.

If memory serves me blank on egr valve side should look like this to allow valve to cycle?
_20200823_152135.JPG

No, it's a home made poor job from galvanised flat plate.
Do you know where to get one of those blanking plates from.

Thanks so much

Try only blanking off engine side and see if this improves running. Think they are on ebay?
Steve

I think the egr valve needs to complete it's operation to reset the regeneration cycle. Keep engine side blanked and connect egr valve back up as normal then try running car.
Best of luck.

Finally after a bit of being poorly and a holiday, have had a breakthrough in the poor running.
Found in the higher rev range, some fault codes would appear. Multiple misfires, and misfires number 2. So something to work on I thought, started with trying to find induction air leak without any traced. As I had 2 spare bosch coil packs (just in case) fitted to cylinder 2, and bingo it now runs well without codes coming up.
Have only taken for a short run, but feels good and rev happy. Longer test drive to come...

Back