12V plug in luggage compartment

A

AMG

Hi everyone. I am looking for the original spot of the 12V plug in the trunk. Where is it located? left or right side? Anyone has a picture of location please? I would like to install the plug at the original location. Our car is equipped with the 6 CD changer on the right side, and has the double floor and the individual seats at the back (folding 50/50).
Any tutorials on how to proceed?
Thanks, Didier:)

Luggage compartment 12V plug

Well, sems like I found something that nobody seems to have. Or, is it simply too easy or too difficult to find?
If you have such a plug, 12 volt, in the luggage compartment to use for spare light or freezer, please post a picture of the location and type. I would like to add one in my wife's car and stay in the original configuration.
Thanks everybody.

Ltr, Didier

Sorry for the long time to take the photos, but there you have them: :)
It's a push-to-eject type of plug, normally being tucked away inside the compartment. The two pictures show it's open-closed states.
Good luck.

Plug

@ Trex,

Thank you for your time and the pictures. Parts were ordered and on hand. Checked in my A4 and the position is in the same area. Wanted to be sure for the A2 to keep as much as possible like the original.

Thanks again ;).

Didier

12V Luggage Socket Fit

Reviving an old thread! Just fitted the Pop out 12V Socket to OE spec in my A2 luggage area. Very happy with it, it will be useful for powering a 12v fridge on long trips :) I also completed the "dual light" mod, so I have a boot light on both boot side trims rather than just the one. Sorry for the poor photo!

Cheers

Rob.

12v.jpg

I was looking at doing this same mod soon, Do you have the part numbers for both items you bought please and were there any step-by-step wiring instructions.

:cool:

I was looking at doing this same mod soon, Do you have the part numbers for both items you bought please and were there any step-by-step wiring instructions.

:cool:

Hi Sojah,

The part number for the flip out socket is 4B0925071A and the connector housing is 1J0972753. I also purchased a repair wire for that connector which came with the two pins required, just 12v and Earth. As it is positioned so close, I simply wired it back to the battery using an inline 20 Amp fuse.

Cheers

Rob.

Great effective mod.

Is the part number you gave for the light grey coloured, flip out socket?

Looking a the other picture ( trex ) looks a darker grey to yours ( rob ).

Also how much was the cost of the flip out socket and onnector housing please if you don't mind me asking.

Thanks
Ross

Great effective mod.

Is the part number you gave for the light grey coloured, flip out socket?

Looking a the other picture ( trex ) looks a darker grey to yours ( rob ).

Also how much was the cost of the flip out socket and onnector housing please if you don't mind me asking.

Thanks
Ross

Hi Ross,

The number is for the part itself and there are several colour options designated by another number. Mine was indeed a lighter colour for a Twist interior with code 4 QC. 26Z is for a Swing Grey interior like the darker one you mention.

The total cost was about £35. There is a cheaper standard socket listed for the A2 but I quite like the look and style of the flip out design.

Cheers

Rob.

Now Rob, here's a bit more for you to do.
When I fitted the second boot light in the R/H trim, I split the light units and painted the inner black surface with a chrome paint.
The difference is amazing and with LED's in there you have a nice white bright boot space - more important perhaps with vehicles with black trim.
There is an additional lead that I have provided but not yet fitted and that is to be routed to the rear hatch inner cover to provide a white down-light, and an additional red warning light when open.

As for the pop-out 12V socket, I wired mine to the cigarette lighter utilising the same fuse.

For those who are thinking of this mod - I can say that our drinks and lunch remained very cold at ADI last year and AITP a few weeks ago.

blue skies
tony

Now Rob, here's a bit more for you to do.
When I fitted the second boot light in the R/H trim, I split the light units and painted the inner black surface with a chrome paint.
The difference is amazing and with LED's in there you have a nice white bright boot space - more important perhaps with vehicles with black trim.
There is an additional lead that I have provided but not yet fitted and that is to be routed to the rear hatch inner cover to provide a white down-light, and an additional red warning light when open.

As for the pop-out 12V socket, I wired mine to the cigarette lighter utilising the same fuse.

For those who are thinking of this mod - I can say that our drinks and lunch remained very cold at ADI last year and AITP a few weeks ago.

blue skies
tony

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try. I do want to change the boot bulbs for LED's, can you recommend a type/supplier? I like the sound of your other lighting ideas!

It will be good to utilise the boot socket on our trip to ADI in a few weeks :)

Cheers Rob.

I've done this mod - I managed to score a flip out 12v socket on eBay that said it was from an A8. It's definitely the same though, and fits my (soul black?) interior perfectly.

Have gone the 'wired direct to battery with an inline fuse' route so it can be used with the ignition off; Now all I need is a fridge!

Part of this install is part of an ongoing plan to have an old Apple TV set-top box running as an OS X 'entertainment console' in the boot.
The idea is it's a wireless hard drive with tonnes of music that you can control over wifi with your phone. It sort of works...I've had it running as a proof of concept from the ciggy lighter with an inverter but it had to boot up every time you turn on the engine.

Anyway I'm thread-jacking. Thanks for this thread - was helpful in locating the spot to cut the hole in the boot trim.

Last edited:
Well done :) You're right, the socket is shared with the A8 along with A6/A4.

You're Apple TV set-top box idea sounds cool :)

Cheers

Rob.

I've done this mod - I managed to score a flip out 12v socket on eBay that said it was from an A8. It's definitely the same though, and fits my (soul black?) interior perfectly.

Have gone the 'wired direct to battery with an inline fuse' route so it can be used with the ignition off; Now all I need is a fridge!

Part of this install is part of an ongoing plan to have an old Apple TV set-top box running as an OS X 'entertainment console' in the boot.
The idea is it's a wireless hard drive with tonnes of music that you can control over wifi with your phone. It sort of works...I've had it running as a proof of concept from the ciggy lighter with an inverter but it had to boot up every time you turn on the engine.

Anyway I'm thread-jacking. Thanks for this thread - was helpful in locating the spot to cut the hole in the boot trim.

hi guys,

reviving an old thread again :)

anyways ive managed to get a 12v socket like the one in this thread. so does anybody have a step by step installation guide on how to do this (if not i will try to make it better somehow) and is there anything i should consider before removing side panels etc...

i dont have the wiring but ive got plenty of 2 core wire and spade connectors in my garage somewhere so im hoping that this will suffice. i hate electrics so can someone tell me what the steps are for wiring this upto battery :)

i will take photos of this process, which should come in useful for the next retrofit of 12v socket :)

cammy

I can't give you a step by step as sadly my A2 was recently written off; but I can describe what I did...

Placement of the plug seems best in the top left-hand of the boot (I think that's the correct placement based on the little evidence I could find) it means the plug pops out in the correct direction and it's in the void between the top of the rear wheel-well and the back shelf/seatbelt fittings. I don't think it could be positioned low without getting in the way of the rear shocks ;) Even still - you'll still have to fiddle a little to find the right spot in the side panel that has enough space for it that doesn't interfere with the rear seatbelt spool and such. There is room but it's definitely quite tight.

Getting the panel out is quite involved (I'm sure there's a PDF guide on here somewhere with details) but you'll need to remove your false floor (if you have it) along with the fittings and pull up the carpet. Be careful and methodical - bagging screws and fixings with labels is always a good idea so you can put them all back in the right place.

I measured and made a paper template which corresponded to the shape of inner edge of the fitting and stuck it onto the back of the panel with double sided tape when I was sure it was well placed, then went at it with a drill and Dremel. First drilling four holes near the corners (ideally with a bigger bit that matches the radius of the fitting) , then joining the holes with a cutting disk to cut the main meat out of the hole, then used a sanding cylinder to get to the edges and tidy up the radiused corners. The carpet on the visible-boot side may get a little rough and/or melty with the heat from the sanding cylinder but the fitting has about 3-4mm of flange to cover up any minor messiness.

I wired mine direct to the battery - partly so I could use it when the ignition was off, but mostly because I have super-rudimentary electrical skills and didn't want to bork anything by trying to splice it into other cables. I did a few cool things to the cable rather than just it literally being two wires going direct to the battery. One was make sure the cable was heavy-duty enough to inspire confidence that it could handle the power (Can't remember the exact gauge, but don't use doorbell wire). I also wired in a nylon male/female cable connecter/separator (from the battery of an R/C car) so that I could disconnect the cable easily if I wanted to without having to fiddle with the battery terminals. For safety I put an inline fuse (someone should be able to advise on the best ampage - I don't recall but it was low for peace of mind) on to the positive cable, and then soldered (or crimped) some spade or ring connecters to the end. It needed to be fairly long to go under the carpet and under the trim panel. I put the fuse and connector near the spades at the battery end, so it was all easily accessed from within the battery compartment and not hidden somewhere behind the side trim

Then I wired it all up (testing it before refitting the panel/carpet etc).

Oh noes - it didn't work. Oh. Put the fuse in.
It worked!.

Then I put the the panel back in, carpet, false floor etc. It was tricky getting the panel back exactly as before - I recall some issues with some polystyrene packing around the seatbelt reel, and getting it all neatly back under the bootlid shut rubber trim was a little bit taxing, but it wasn't too hard in the end and it all went back where is should with no squeaks or spare fixings.

In total it took me about 2-3 hours to fit. Sourcing the right cable bits and soldering them all together beforehand a little longer.

In my case it worked exactly as intended but I never really used it - I intended to get a little boot fridge but didn't quite get to it The Apple TV media server thing never quite worked as I hoped. It took a while to boot, and my other plan of getting it working with a 12v ->5v step-down converter instead of a 240v power inverter never quite worked (something to do with current and no-name components bought on EchoBay I'm sure)

Good luck with your project - I'm sure it'll look sweet and work well.
Others please chime in with better ways to wire it in so it's part of the main ignition power as I didn't do this making it a bit of a hack electrically (no safety net if you leave something powered with the ignition off. It WILL vampire all your power and flat the battery if you forget about it this way).

Last edited:
great write up littlepixel :)

i will follow up this thread with photos of my progression in the hope that this will help others who find tasks like this a little daunting!

if i get stuck on the way i will post constant updates on here :)

cheers

cammy

Back