16’’ Tyre choice

hotdog1

Hi, I can’t find snelltrackers post on comfort and am looking for new 16 tyres...

I am currently thinking 195/55/16 as recommended by skipton01 but am also wondering if 205/55/16 would work as there seems to be lots more competitive pricing on the larger tyre?

Can anyone give a definite on the larger size .?

Cheers.

I have both 195/55/16 and 205 55/40 x 17 winter / summer. In winter mode that car is much nicer to ride in. In the summer the car is a lot more to drive. However, a compromise between the two sounds like a good idea. I think that it is suffering from 'shaken car syndrome' having recently replaced both top links, the heater fan and the air intake flap. I think anything that can soften the blow that pot-holed roads inflict is welcomed. There is a wheel and tyre thread that assisted me getting the right tyres for a set of audi rims i bought on eBay. My winter tyres have had to cope with a lot of snow in December (i live 720ft ) having previously always had a 4x4 i was surprised how well the A2 copes

If you tend to hit a lot of potholes then I would recommend that you steer clear of the 17" Audi A2 Sport 9 spoke alloys.
Two reasons, firstly they are very heavy wheels (VERY). so the unsprung weight can add to the bump you will feel when you hit a pot hole.
Worse still the same wheels are VERY soft and suffer from buckles, especially on the inner rim.

As for the 17" compared to 16", I am probably going to sound like a broken record here, but if you hit a pot hole, whatever wheels you have on it will be a really horrible bang. Dropping to 16" will give you half an inch more side wall and I am not sure how you would feel less of a bang from a pot hole ( every pot hole is different and you hit them at different speeds and different angles and so there is no scientific logic that would mean that half an inch more tyre wall would make a difference when you hit a pot hole.

Better tyres, lighter wheels, correct tyre pressures, quality tyres, decent shock absorbers and correct springs all affect the bang you will feel.
Much more than half an inch of rubber. One other thing to consider is that if you currently have rattles and squeaks from various interior parts and loose items in the cubby hole and various trays / in the boot, that can REALLY make the effect of hitting that hole just sound worse too.

I am just trying to help people get the best ride from their A2, the last thing I would do is to drop an inch or two in wheel size, I would get everything else mentioned above right first. Dropping the wheel size will of course make a difference but my point is that in dropping a wheel size you will be fitting / using different tyres and pressures, so there is no actual comparison you can make, it is comparing apples and pears?
Dropping a wheel size will slightly soften the ride at the expense of slightly poorer cornering and steering response (in an accident you WANT to have as good a steering response as possible to miss hitting someone.

So if you feel that half an inch or one inch of difference in the tyre wall softens the ride noticeably, then that same logic applies to the steering response and cornering, and you will be affecting steering response and cornering grip (at NORMAL speeds, these are not race cars) by the same amount, scientifically!

There is a reason why Supercars have ultra low profile tyres, that is because they DO improve handling and steering response, that is an accepted fact. I am not saying that A2s are supercars (but they are "super" cars :)) I am just trying to illustrate the logic.

I will try to make this my final statement on the wheel size debate, I don't want to bore or alienate people, I am just trying to add my views.

Rant over

Steve B

Hi, I can’t find snelltrackers post on comfort and am looking for new 16 tyres...

I am currently thinking 195/55/16 as recommended by skipton01 but am also wondering if 205/55/16 would work as there seems to be lots more competitive pricing on the larger tyre?

Cheers.
I am taking a great interest in tyres and wheels at the moment as need to make a decision for my project car, so discussion is good.

I would not say your options alarm me, more a worry since
1. Neither are in the definitive tyre and wheel thread.
2. Both have larger diameter to 205/40/17 which seems to be the comparative standard. This might/will cause rubbing and have repercussions on the speedo.

Andy

Ps. Is your location really Dorzet?

Cheers.
205/55/16 are too tall. They are taller than the diameter of then tyres I have had on the A2 and they used to catch over speed bumps etc.
They are 6% taller than the standard tyre height on the A2 and around 3% is the maximum to go to with no chance of rubbing. (assuming the wheels you are using are about the same ET as standard, which is around 35ish)

Here are the calculations, I would not go that tall, they will almost certainly rub

Steve B
1517757057194.png

Cheers ,
I have got 16’s so I wasn’t looking at 17’s.

Skipton mentioned 195/55r16 which I would take on good authority that they work. I was purely interested in whether 205s would fit with 16’s, I think the comfort tyre thread has been deleted so couldn’t check...

If any of the mods can refind that thread , that would be helpful.

I recently refurbished my 16 alloys and the shop lent me a set of donor wheels fitted with 205 55 tyres. Unfortunately they rubbed, on full lock and hitting bumps on the road. Mine is a TDI.

Cheers ,

Skipton mentioned 195/55r16 which I would take on good authority that they work. I was purely interested in whether 205s would fit with 16’s, I think the comfort tyre thread has been deleted so couldn’t check...

I posted the comparison of the standard height A2 tyre sizes 205 40 17 as a base size, under that you will see that I compared them to your 205/55/16 tyres that you mentioned, to try and help you see if they would fit.

That clearly shows that you will not be able to use the 205/55/16 they are way too tall.

Mike (Skipton) was right of course about the 195/55r16 tyres they are ok, but not the 205/55/16.

Steve B

Cheers ,

HI,

I want to come back to 195/55/16 but later.

For now I think you are not finding the post you are after due to your spelling of Schnelletrecker. This is what I think you are after.

https://www.a2oc.net/community/index.php?threads/max-comfort-wheel-tyres.9697/#post-74434

Andy

Mike skipton did try out 205/55 R16 Tyres and they rubbed at the rear only a very tiny bit apparently on his lowered suspension.
However, he has the same alloys as me which are Mk1 TT alloys which have a different offset to the standard A2 16 alloys.
I think you would find they would scrub. Steve Birchall and A2steve have had the biggest wheels and Tyres I’ve seen on an A2 so I reckon they are probably pretty solid on what will rub - 18s was it lads? With rubber bands wrapped round them instead of Tyres?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I even managed to get 19s in there (Pictured) and just with slight rubbing when 4 people in the car, but only by "shaving the inner plastic of the rear arch.
And the car was lowered 25mm

The secret is to get the tyre diameter correct, 215 35 18s can fit and only rub slightly when the car is full. the 215 35 19s where a challenge and would not fit without some serious trimming of the arches, but worth it I think.

Steve B
19 side 3.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks all.

Andrew - the Schnelletrecker post wasn't the one I was after. There is a very helpful post which refers to the comfort of each wheel and tyre size and shows them as being ballony if too big, that's what I can't find and I'm sure it was several pages long?

Again, Skipton has stated 195/55r16 fit and didn't mention scrubbing....

At this stage I am looking at nexen hd+ with either 195or205/50r16 flavour. Having experienced ditch finders first hand I'm veering to the wider size.

Hi,

Sorry the Schnelletrecker post I linked was not the one you was after. The internal search yields all Schnelletrecker's posts, all 10 pages! I had a quick look but not knowing exactly what I was after it was difficult andI came across nothing similiar to what you describe, but my search was brief.

Back to 195/15/16. If have no doubt if Mike, seconded by Steve says they fit then they will fit satisfactorily. I do not doubt their expertise but the problem is me. I do not understand why they fit when they are not in the definitive tyre and wheel thread and just about the same size (24.4") as 205/45/17 (24.3") that two members reported last week do rub slightly on full lock. I can only assume it must be the slightly narrower width.

I need to go away and do some research and reread the definitive tyre and wheel thread, a daunting task with 20 pages, - after a few pages of numbers my brain turns to jelly. Throw in non standard wheels and suspension .......

No experience of Nexan hd+ so can't comment, others might be forthcoming, but your options on tyre size are in the definitive wheels and tyre thread "approved" list.

Hope it works out whatever you choose.

Andy

If you want the easiest, safest fit for 16" tyres, guaranteed to fit and give no issues, then 195/55 16 is the way to go. I agree that there's some great pricing on 205/55 16 but they do rub a little at the back and will also rub at the front, depending on what your wheel offset is.

I am now in a position to change and balance my own tyres, I got fed up of places around here charging at least £15 per tyre to change for me, so I got the kit to do my own. I'll be putting 195/55 16 tyres on shortly - Michelin CrossClimate+ - and will also be having the wheels refurbed too prior to this.

Up to my eyeballs in home improvements at the moment, and creating a nursery, hence being quiet of late.

I looked at the kit for doing this at home and it was pretty bulky. Made economic sense over a few changes and you could be careful - especially with rim guards - but it was a big lump. Glad to hear I wasn’t crazy even considering it!

Ps. I’ve just realised we share a birthday. Rubbish isn’t it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wish I hadn't read this ^^^^^, off to check out kit now as I really grudge the £14 that I typically pay. :)

If you want the easiest, safest fit for 16" tyres, guaranteed to fit and give no issues, then 195/55 16 is the way to go. I agree that there's some great pricing on 205/55 16 but they do rub a little at the back and will also rub at the front, depending on what your wheel offset is.

I am now in a position to change and balance my own tyres, I got fed up of places around here charging at least £15 per tyre to change for me, so I got the kit to do my own. I'll be putting 195/55 16 tyres on shortly - Michelin CrossClimate+ - and will also be having the wheels refurbed too prior to this.

Up to my eyeballs in home improvements at the moment, and creating a nursery, hence being quiet of late.
When or if you happen to get a chance, might you link the tyre changing equipment you use please? Congratulations, assuming you are creating a children's nursery, else, good luck with your plants. :)

When or if you happen to get a chance, might you link the tyre changing equipment you use please? Congratulations, assuming you are creating a children's nursery, else, good luck with your plants. :)

You know that if you get this I'm going to be showing up on your doorstep...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Equipment wise, the bulkiest thing I've bought is a bead breaker - there's no need to get one of the big jigs that really need bolting to the ground. What do I use?

Abba bead breaker https://www.abbastands.co.uk/product-detail.asp?item=bead-breaker&pid=11

18" tyre levers from ebay

MotionPro bead breaking tyre irons https://www.amazon.co.uk/Motion-Pro-08-0536-BeadPro-Breaker/dp/B00CU8ZEZQ
(Available for around half this price. I don't use them as bead breakers but as really sturdy slender levers, able to get into gaps my other irons can't).

Use a pair of rim protectors and plenty of tyre soap and it's surprisingly easy to do at home.

I also have a static balancer too, with wide cones for car wheels https://www.abbastands.co.uk/product-detail.asp?item=wheel-balancer&pid=14

https://www.abbastands.co.uk/product-detail.asp?item=single-sided-adapter&pid=24

You'll see that the jigs are primarily for motorcycle use, but they also fit A2 wheels as well.

Yes, it's the former - I'm no Percy Thrower!! Thanks.

Back