16" MK 1 TT Alloys, best tyre size for comfort and economy.

suitw2000

Hi All,
I have a set of MK 1 TT & spoke alloys (7 spoke with centre cap), looking for the best tyre size advice that doesn't rub and doesn't provide a harsh ride, any suggestions gratefully received.
they currently have 205/55/16 tyres which are too big and rub.
your suggestions are appreciated, also the best brands in the suggested size that aren't too noisy.

I'm thinking Kumho????

Afternoon ,

Have you already read through the first post of this thread. It really is the one stop thread on everything tyres versus rims.

Once you have worked out what type size you should go for then simply search the various online tyre retailers as they will have plenty of information to answer your question of road noise, efficiency and wet grip etcetera.

My personal choice of tyre I last had fitted was Dunlop BluResponse. Very quiet with good efficiency rating along with great wet grip. These were for my Pepperpots so the size is of no relevance for your TT 16” rims.

Kind regards,

Tom

I had a set of those rims on one of mine. I ran 195/50x16 on it, which is only marginally above OEM reference size. The 195 width suits the wider TT alloys better than the OEM standard 185 width. Equally they should take 215/45 if you're after the wider tyres for handling purposes, I've driven on those before, albeit on different rims.

I have tried Goodyear efficient grip in 205/50/16.But running Dunlop Blue response in same size and is a much better tyre.

Hi All,
I have a set of MK 1 TT & spoke alloys (7 spoke with centre cap), looking for the best tyre size advice that doesn't rub and doesn't provide a harsh ride, any suggestions gratefully received.
they currently have 205/55/16 tyres which are too big and rub.
your suggestions are appreciated, also the best brands in the suggested size that aren't too noisy.

I'm thinking Kumho????
205/50/16 tyres are perfect on those rims.
Speedo should read spot on and you'll have the best balance of comfort, handling and a little rim protection too with the wider 205 width which is perfect for the 7" wide rims ?

I have tried Goodyear efficient grip in 205/50/16.But running Dunlop Blue response in same size and is a much better tyre.
Dunlops, generally have softer sidewalls, so more compliant, but very slightly higher wear rate. Grip and handling make up for it though.
Mac.

Back