17" QT alloys buckled

Au2ro

I have buckled one of my 17" QT alloys, there are no cracks but it's an obvious dent in the inside of the wheel.
I will now be looking to get it re-rounded and might as well get all four refurbished as most have some corrosion especially around the bolts.

I take it that refurbishment could cost a bit more on these split rim with bolts type of alloys. Has anyone else had their QTs refurbished and has any idea of what it might cost?
I will get some quotes anyway.
I will take a picture and post it soon.
Pictures added:-

QTcorrosion3.jpgQTcorrosion2.jpgQTcorrosion1.jpgQTbuckle2.jpgQTbuckle1.jpg

Last edited:
From what I understand the QTs are actually "fake" splitrims, and they do not in fact split at all, the bolt-heads are just for show.

I am prepared to stand corrected though ;)

Birchall to the rescue as ever. It appears that the rims don't actually split but that the studs are removable.

Birchall to the rescue as ever. It appears that the rims don't actually split but that the studs are removable.

Ah yes, I thought I'd seen something about this ...

Thanks for the link, they do look as though they have done a good job whoever they were???
I got one quote today, £40 for removing the buckle with no guarantee that it would not split. :eek:
and £220 for powder coating, but only all the same colour, they could not polish the outer rims.

So it sounds like I need to ask if someone can diamond cut the outer rims for me.
Glad to see that the bolts are removable but disappointed that they are "fake" split rims.

I do fancy silver spokes and darker (gun metal?) centre star shape though... I wonder if I will be able to find someone able to do that for me. ?

Anyway, I have pictures now so instead of running around I can send them for a quote from several refurbishers.

I doubt whether Birchall's refurbisher would be handy for you - he lives in Staines, Middlesex! I've asked several companies about powder coating wheels in two colours but not found one who could do it; I think you'd have to settle for painting if you really want a two colour finish. Anyway, good luck with your search for quotes.

you can get powder coating in single colour, then diamond cut the faces to get silver finish, then lacquer the entire wheel, did this on some rims some years and work and lasted fine

Paul

I got another similar quote but with a discount for repairing the buckle if I got them to do the full refurbish as well for £25 for the buckle and £225 for the refurb, but they did not sound as though they could polish the steel rims.

I left the buckled wheel with another company to assess the damage and they have gone ahead and fixed it, after cracking it trying to get the buckle out without giving me a quote.
I guess they have me over a barrel now :eek: though they did sound as though they could do the full refurb work.

I won't be able to get back to give them the other wheels now until next week, when I will find out how much it is going to cost me.

Last edited:
Well, I managed to get up to the refurbisher to ask about diamond cutting and polishing, and doing the centre in gunmetal, they quoted £385 plus £50 for fixing the buckle. I managed to haggle to £400 for the lot but then chickened out. So they are going to do them in all silver powder coating for £250 which I thought was reasonable considering the work to remove the outer sleeve (they said that it was not possible to polish or re-use it) and to remove and re-fit the studs (they said that they did not have to be replaced).
The guy I spoke to was very helpful and seemed to know his stuff compared to the other companies I contacted. When I got my original 17" Audi alloys refurbished in standard silver somewhere else it cost more than that so I am happy enough. Now I just have to wait to see the result.

Back