17852 potentiometer

Chiefmechanic

Got this fault on my brothers 1.6 fsi. 17852 potentiometer for egr (212). Implausible signal. Any ideas what to check. What is it and where is it.
Brian

Connected VCDS again and these are the faults. Any idea how this system works and what is causing the fault.
Brian

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 664
Hi the egr valve is on the right hand end of the engine (looking from the front of the car) it is electricly operated via a plug behind the unit. I manage to get my sausage fingers around the back and plug/unplug it. It maybe the connector or the wiring itself. The egr is very reliable on the Fsi and I am yet to hear of one failing but that’s always a possibility. It may be gummed up or carboned up so a removal and clean maybe possible but be careful not to get cleaning fluid into the electronics.
Hope this helps. All the best mike

Thanks Mike. I at the stage I need to take it off and have a look at it. There is only 96,000 miles on it so far.
Brian

Continuing saga of erratic running at tick over. When I clear all the faults with the vcds the first fault that comes back is 17852 potentiometer. I think I need to change this sensor.
Does anyone have one for sale so I can try it.
It’s item 17.9C20C152-AA43-447D-B3BA-D29259D539FF.png
Any help welcome. Brian

Continuing saga of erratic running at tick over. Took the egr valve off and found that the valve was stuck partially open so allowing the engine to draw in unmetered air. Cleaned and replaced the egr valve and fault cured.
Brian

Back