185/50 R16 vs 195/45 R16 Tyre comparison.

Jeetesh

Swapped over the old Continentals to the Goodyear Efficientgrips and done a few direct comparisons with narrative and pictures below so apologies for the long post.
ContinentalGoodyear
Db @ 30mph49db45db
Db @ 50mph54db51db
Db @ 70mph58db55db
0-609.7 sec9.5 sec
30mph Speedo30 (30)29 (30)
50mph Speedo49 (49)48 (49)
70mph Speedo69 (68)68 (68)

For consistency I’ve used the same roads/routes, drive the same and record sound and speed using Soundmeter and GPS race timer apps and on my phone so whilst not the perfect tech for comparison. I can say the tech was the same for both, phone mounted on a cradle attached to the air vent with Climate Control off (adds 3db).

• Decibels - 3-4 db quieter at each speed and surprisingly consistent. It’s really noticeable how much quieter and one of the main reasons for going with Goodyear. My FSI is very smooth and quiet that the loudest noise was wind noise. These were averages taken over approx 30 seconds, driven at constant speed so minimal engine load. Under hard acceleration engine noise would add 3db at each increment. Also notable was Diesel engine noise from other vehicles which saw spikesthe same with catseyes and rougher roads. Road quality varied these values by up to 6db each way! I did also see 70db when I redlined it so I might do a stationary db test with the engine revving at different revs which will show when engine noise overtakes road noise.
  • 0-60 time was marginally better as expected with slightly better contact patch. Conti’s would scrabble at launch anything above 2.5k rpm but the Goodyears could be launched at 3k rpm with no scrabble. I’ll try launch at higher revs in coming weeks and expect a marginal 0-60 improvement as the road was slightly damp and cold. I would expect 17” sport wheels running 205’s to be better still but would hurt economy a bit.
  • Speedo - at each increment the first number is what the GPS speedo recorded and the second (in brackets) is what Colour DIS quoted. This was as expected with a marginally worse reading due to reduced profile (and circumference) expected the gap to be bigger to be honest but since it’s down there’s reduced risk of being over the speed limit at the indicated speed. For comparison at 70 mph my Mercedes running 20” is doing 67 according to the GPS and whilst Audi’s in my experience have been more accurate, you can see the impact of tyre/wheel size.
  • Breaking - never troubled the ABS with either tyre, don’t have the equipment test this one. Expect the Goodyears to stop in a shorter distance.
  • Fuel economy can’t tell if it’s any better or worse at this stage, seems about the same but once I’ve got a few months data, I’ll be able to compare.
  • Handling - they hold on far better than the Conti’s and easily noticeable on fast motorway roundabouts. Some of this may be due to being brand new and the Contis had 2.5-3mm left on them however I expect 80% of the difference to be tyre compound. Marginally heavier steering feel (say 10%) however the FSI engine isn’t that heavy and the car is light overall so none issue. You could say ‘sportier’ feeling but this is probably stretching the definition if heavy = sporty. Still sharp and direct but not noticeably different.
  • Ride - I purposely drive around potholes so haven’t noticed much difference. The Goodyear’s are softer compound than the Contis so a marginal loss in profile hasn’t made much difference. If I accidentally plant it in a pothole I suspect I’ll feel it more, the roads are pretty good where I am so this will be something to report later when I’ve used them more.
  • Wet grip - much better and no contest, the Goodyear’s are just better.
  • Profile - you can see a marginal reduction when placed side by side but now all 4 are on you can’t really tell. I expected them to stick out more from the rim but don’t seem to.
Summary - I’m really happy with the Goodyear EfficientGrips as they tick all the boxes for me. We’ll see how economy averages out over the next few months but early indications suggest no/minimal impact but the lateral grip gained and no tyre scrabble is brilliant. The reduction in road noise however is absolutely massive. This in itself will make the Bose sound even better. Overall I’d recommend the Goodyear EfficientGrip.

First 4 pictures are the Contis, second four are the Goodyear’s.

FC5F1A3E-93FA-454F-9947-9996267560DB.jpeg
412005FC-013B-477C-984B-EF2FF215767C.jpeg
8E82FC36-40FD-43CD-8FAE-89FC3B1EF858.jpeg
E47475E3-1451-473C-93FD-EC06F35CEA3A.jpeg
601A1F04-2AAB-41BE-9B28-30361AF6DFC1.jpeg
4A3B5D9A-B706-4F7B-9C24-65A2351495EF.jpeg
0025C6D2-1D55-423F-97BC-C90B3F444AFE.jpeg
B1D31ADB-ACA5-41AA-8800-7F865D56192B.jpeg

@Vorsprung durch Technik

Last edited:
Jeetesh, really appreciate what you've carried out here and taking the time and trouble to produce, very comprehensive and well written comparison between the two tyres - thank you!! ? ? ?

It defornately pays to look at the most up to date tyre tests, i've had a look, through your recommendation, and what you've said has been born out with the Goodyear efficient grip being highly rated. I'm a Goodyear fan anyway and could be swayed by a better tyre for another car with bigger rims but It looks like these will be the tyre for me on the A2 Se alloys. Cheers Mark.

Jeetesh, really appreciate what you've carried out here and taking the time and trouble to produce, very comprehensive and well written comparison between the two tyres - thank you!! ? ? ?

It defornately pays to look at the most up to date tyre tests, i've had a look, through your recommendation, and what you've said has been born out with the Goodyear efficient grip being highly rated. I'm a Goodyear fan anyway and could be swayed by a better tyre for another car with bigger rims but It looks like these will be the tyre for me on the A2 Se alloys. Cheers Mark.
No worries, I was always going to compare them especially for 0-60. I have a G-meter on my Colour DIS but can’t test this on the public road otherwise I’d like to have compared that too.

I read all the tyre reviews before buying anyway so whilst I’m a fan of Goodyear for my Merc, it wasn’t a foregone conclusion for the A2 owing to different priorities. Tyre tech has improved massively since the A2 first came out so if Audi still made the A2, I’m sure they’d have Goodyears on them especially as the A1’s standard fit now happens to be Goodyear.

Thank you for the comparison, I've been impressed with the same Continentals though always good to see options. I thought the red dot was supposed to be next to the valve.

Thank you for the comparison, I've been impressed with the same Continentals though always good to see options. I thought the red dot was supposed to be next to the valve.
Very well spotted (10/10) and in normal circumstances you would. When I had my wheels refurbished my wheel guy mentioned there was excessive corrosion on each wheel and it was a patch on the inside of every wheel (think puddle of corrosion about 10cm diameter at the 6 o’clock point) where it was sat stationary for prolonged periods of time. As such this needed fixing when the wheels were refurbished.

The result was that when a tyre was replaced it didn’t matter as my alloys are not as perfect as new and when balanced the weights would do the job to correct this.

Just wondered why you didn't go with 195/50 16 to get your speedo reading accurately or was this size not available in the Goodyear's so not an option?

Audi recommends 185/50 R16 or 195/45 R16. When I typed my reg into Black Circles it quotes 195’s.

50% of 195 equals a taller tyre wall so expect that the GPS speedo would register a higher speed than the cars speedo at each increment so I don’t really want the car to be telling me I’m doing 30 when actually I’m doing 31 or 32.

The other reason is aesthetic, I’m a fan of low profile tyres and going taller than the SE’s normal profile is not what I wanted. I know and understand the arguments against low profile but has to ‘look right’ in my eyes and 97.5mm of profile was the wrong way.

Audi recommends 185/50 R16 or 195/45 R16. When I typed my reg into Black Circles it quotes 195’s.

50% of 195 equals a taller tyre wall so expect that the GPS speedo would register a higher speed than the cars speedo at each increment so I don’t really want the car to be telling me I’m doing 30 when actually I’m doing 31 or 32.

The other reason is aesthetic, I’m a fan of low profile tyres and going taller than the SE’s normal profile is not what I wanted. I know and understand the arguments against low profile but has to ‘look right’ in my eyes and 97.5mm of profile was the wrong way.
I appreciate your thought process and what you are saying but 195/45 16 was never an Audi recommended size for the A2 any way as far as i am aware, only 185/50 and there is no way 195/50 would have caused your speedo to over read or looked noticeably different in the depth of the sidewall, it would have just made it read more accurately whilst probably still slightly under reading, instead of under reading more than it did as standard now you have the 195/45 16's fitted.

I'm also a big fan of Goodyear tyres, although i still currently have the Conti's on mine atm and have always tended to keep things as standard but i am looking into either 195/50 or 185/55 in a bid to create a little more comfort but mainly get a more accurate speedo.

Any way, we're all different and as long as you are happy, as it sounds you are that's all that matters.

Nice write up btw ?

I appreciate your thought process and what you are saying but 195/45 16 was never an Audi recommended size for the A2 any way as far as i am aware, only 185/50 and there is no way 195/50 would have caused your speedo to over read or looked noticeably different in the depth of the sidewall, it would have just made it read more accurately whilst probably still slightly under reading, instead of under reading more than it did as standard now you have the 195/45 16's fitted.

I'm also a big fan of Goodyear tyres, although i still currently have the Conti's on mine atm and have always tended to keep things as standard but i am looking into either 195/50 or 185/55 in a bid to create a little more comfort but mainly get a more accurate speedo.

Any way, we're all different and as long as you are happy, as it sounds you are that's all that matters.

Nice write up btw ?
If you read the definitive tyre thread (link below), it states 195/45 R16 is oem too so took this as a given since everyone including Audi were saying so.

Having not tried 195/50 I’d just estimated based on the two I tested and the accuracy of my cars speedo. I expected 195/45 to be marginally less accurate but wanted to know by how much. I would expect for the best speedo accuracy, you’re better off with brand new 185/50.

Based on your priorities, 15” alloys might be the way to go or indeed 195/50 on your existing 16” alloys. I did however find that 195/50 are a more unusual size and as such priced accordingly.

Good healthy debate helps in making the right decision of your own requirements/circumstances. ? always good to talk.

Back