2 days hedging and burning up ?

What you see is two thirds of what sally and I did yesterday and today ...I’m getting to old for 10 to 12ft beech hedge ..it’s a start over next couple of years we are going to take all the boundary & internal hedges down to manageable height ..perfect weather one heck of a bonfire in the field two planks over the ditch ..even had a couple of jacket spuds in the embers ?..Bess the new lab pup no help at all ..it’s been one of the wettest winters I can remember and I miss those crisp sunny ? winter days we used to get ..we were lucky to grab these last 3 dry days to get some hedging done as it messes up the ground trying to work on it ..

Attachments

• C621E306-0FC9-49BA-87E4-F4F4CD5CD564.jpeg
    C621E306-0FC9-49BA-87E4-F4F4CD5CD564.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 231
  • E40F94E9-55C0-4050-9697-7160635B9857.jpeg
    E40F94E9-55C0-4050-9697-7160635B9857.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 231
  • 7D956022-E3DD-4C99-83BB-87CF5D8A8C19.jpeg
    7D956022-E3DD-4C99-83BB-87CF5D8A8C19.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 226
Last edited:
Excellent job, though hard work. Winter is always a good time for 'garden architecture'. I planted a new hedge around my garden a few winters ago and now always look forward to its fresh growth spurt in the spring; I get a little more privacy with each passing year.
Dogs are utterly useless gardeners, though provide enjoyable company. :)

Keep up the good work,

Tom

That looks like a major trim - we also have a giant beech hedge but its really old and advised that might not recover if major cut back......but we love the beech so much we planted a copper beech hedge round the front 3 winters ago, which looks great and is a real pleasure as it bursts to life in the spring.
Perhaps we need a sub section for lovers of A2s and beech hedges - will look forward to pics of you new smaller hedge as it comes back to life.

Chris

An interesting fact about beech hedges. On juvenile growth, beech maintains its leaves overwinter; on mature growth it doesn’t. If you prune annually, you maintain juvenility.
If you wish your beech hedge to hold onto it’s leaves through winter, prune it each year.
Andrew
Well , I have learnt somthing new today , and we need a new hedge ......

I'm a Hornbeam man,myself.
Mac.
In a way we wish we had planted Hornbeam as beech has a disease ☹️ we’ve got some copper beach hedging round the other side of the garden which I do love a couple of beech parts of the hedge are dying back ...so I’ve planted Hornbeam in between ..I planted out these hedges some 20 years ago .8m wips ...

CA6F85DC-99E5-428A-8EB8-37A4FB78AED6.jpeg
That looks like a major trim - we also have a giant beech hedge but its really old and advised that might not recover if major cut back......but we love the beech so much we planted a copper beech hedge round the front 3 winters ago, which looks great and is a real pleasure as it bursts to life in the spring.
Perhaps we need a sub section for lovers of A2s and beech hedges - will look forward to pics of you new smaller hedge as it comes back to life.

Chris

Your ok if you do it over a 3 year period top ..then one side then the other ..I took a row of pleached limes back to within 6” of trunks in one hit the bounced back 100% ...
You can make many designs out of hedge here is a shady room I made height of summer it's cool in there and a window cut in one side and circular bench seat ..and a secluded bit by the summerhouse which I’m redesigning now it’s the beech I’ve cut as per ist picture south west facing and opens out onto open fields ..
E5BA2565-2D12-4A12-8CCB-9DDD9026066D.jpeg

Last edited:
Back