2022 vehicle tax changes

Justin M

Just been reading about the new tax changes.
Looks like my 54plate fsi makes 144 CO2s so band F £180.
What about the diesels? Still £30?

Another 54 plate owner @Justin M.

E10 incompatibility and continued tax increases mean these are truly loved cars vice being cheap to run options by and large.
Hi Darren. I agree, everything is getting more expensive. But that applies to all cars. Tesco premium unleaded still cheaper than diesel in Suffolk. I use the fsi daily (with proboost) and so far the bills have been kind. Much less to run and maintain than my other halves Ford smax so far……

Hi Darren. I agree, everything is getting more expensive. But that applies to all cars. Tesco premium unleaded still cheaper than diesel in Suffolk. I use the fsi daily (with proboost) and so far the bills have been kind. Much less to run and maintain than my other halves Ford smax so far……
Are you sure Tesco Premium is E5? I believe only Momentum is E5. Premium (95 octane) is E10 (10% ethanol), and not FSI compatible, even with ProBoost.
Mac.

You could use ESSO with NO ethanol. From Esso website
Although our pumps have E5 labels on them, our Synergy Supreme+ 99 is actually ethanol free (except, due to technical supply reasons, in Devon, Cornwall, North Wales, North England and Scotland). Legislation requires us to place these E5 labels on pumps that dispense unleaded petrol with ‘up to 5% ethanol’, including those that contain no ethanol, which is why we display them on our Synergy Supreme+ 99 pumps.

You could use ESSO with NO ethanol. From Esso website
Although our pumps have E5 labels on them, our Synergy Supreme+ 99 is actually ethanol free (except, due to technical supply reasons, in Devon, Cornwall, North Wales, North England and Scotland). Legislation requires us to place these E5 labels on pumps that dispense unleaded petrol with ‘up to 5% ethanol’, including those that contain no ethanol, which is why we display them on our Synergy Supreme+ 99 pumps.

I believe most, if not all, E5 are described as containing "up to 5% ethanol" which often means 0% ethanol.
Mac.

I suspect it's difficult to gaurentee the octane rating, once ethanol is added.
Mac.
Ethanol actually increases the octane rating. For instance, if you start with E10 91 octane, removing the ethanol will render it 87 or 88 octane.

RAB

Ethanol actually increases the octane rating. For instance, if you start with E10 91 octane, removing the ethanol will render it 87 or 88 octane.

RAB
Yes, but the ethanol is pretty volatile, I think. If I'm correct, if you relied on the ethanol for octane rating, that octane rating would drop quite quickly.
Mac.

Yes, but the ethanol is pretty volatile, I think. If I'm correct, if you relied on the ethanol for octane rating, that octane rating would drop quite quickly.
Mac.
It has pretty much the same BP as heptane, so no.

RAB

It has pretty much the same BP as heptane, so no.

RAB
Heptane is also a common additive to petrol, like Ethanol.
Volatile additives will, I think, boil off before the basic hydrocarbon stock does.
Hence my lawnmower needs fresh petrol next week!
Mac.

On the subject of E10 or E5, is my AUA okay to be fed E10 or should I only be using E5? Apologies for hijacking the thread.

You tend to get better fuel economy and performance on E5, so it makes sense to use it over E10.

I doubt this. I switched from 95RON petrol around three years ago, and there was no change whatever in my closely monitored economy or the performance.

Back