Chat 2nd A2

Chris93

Hi all! After a 9 year gap of owning many different cars I am pleased to say I have purchased an A2 again, so great to see so many of you still on the forum and keeping them going!

I owned a lovely special edition TDI (YE05WCL if you are out there somewhere) Which I have missed every since I sold so decided to start looking for another as a project and run around. My Current car is a B7 RS4 which drinks fuel so the idea of 60mpg again seemed very tempting.

Then I stumbled across a trade in that a friend who works for a car dealership received, I was on the fence until I saw the spec it has to be one of the highest spec Special Editions I have seen and only 58,000 miles. I remember looking for a late A2 back in 2008 and struggling to find anything high spec. From what i can see from videos and pictures it has

- RNSD Nav plus and CD changer
- Cruise control
- DIS
- Open Sky (not working…)
- Rear electric windows
- Beige leather
- Multi function wheel
- Acoustic parking

f5394936500e1dfab7340a1dcbf2a467.jpg

0c48b8222834f50861257475c090b438.jpg

Lots of plans including fixing the open sky, new wheels asap and bringing it back to as new condition. I think given the spec I want to keep it as OEM+ as possible

And the RS4 for good measure….
e79ad39f97aa20ceb8225fad2c10121b.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Welcome back Chris. You’re certainly not alone in selling and then returning to ownership, me included.

Good luck with the new car.

in Dundee? That being said I did wonder if I recognised the plate from the occasional sightings around here. Where was it advertised?

in Dundee? That being said I did wonder if I recognised the plate from the occasional sightings around here. Where was it advertised?
It wasn’t advertised, my friend at MINI took it as a trade in so I nabbed it. It was on a private plate, H8 CJM previously

So I finally have the A2! And it certainly hasn’t been loved externally for some number of years…. And the beige leather is so dirty.

Previous owner also had a dog so lots of hair to remove, I started today but will update more pics tomorrow after a full paint correction and wax. Some befores…

afafb0c7a074749c58a0383a1239bdc5.jpg

5b22a3a33d7f7d5eeb8896f24e6a4c10.jpg

b377d843ea44d47d76c1422887f9f8b0.jpg

d4572ce03d22d160af5dcdd1955d4ba8.jpg

3286adcd80af860b3e54fef963f92ec6.jpg

f5cb2dbad4f0d4e8f09b5a9131617489.jpg

And the Nav, oh that Nav - its staying, I love how retro it is and what a rare option it was
f8e42e9436f9a79f3b4fcb8875f156bf.jpg

Additional list of works from seeing in person
- Headliner is sagging in the back, can i re glue?
- Headlights are stained inside and one has condensation in
- Glow Plug light was flashing on and off whilst driving
- Left rear seat doesn’t appear to align quite right and the catch plastic touches the bit where the latch seats, hmm

New wheels on order, just need to pick them up and get them refurbished

Looks like plenty of potential for a lovely car in that one :) Well done.

Flashing coil symbol could be brake light switch? Just had that on one of mine.

Fold the left rear seat down, put your knee in the middle at the back and pull up on the handle in the base. It should lock into place properly and sit straight, then the catch on the seat back will go in smoothly.

Flashing glow plug is used for various, easiest issue shown is brake lamp. Staining on tailgate glass is rust from the spoiler fittings meaning your spoiler is likely full of water. Tip from @Jellybean, drill a hole in either underside(circa 8mm). I'll upload a photo if someone doesn't beat me to it.

Flashing glow plug is used for various, easiest issue shown is brake lamp. Staining on tailgate glass is rust from the spoiler fittings meaning your spoiler is likely full of water. Tip from @Jellybean, drill a hole in either underside(circa 8mm). I'll upload a photo if someone doesn't beat me to it.
Audrey has this problem too - where should one drill exactly?

@Chris93 welcome back and what a find, really nice car.

Went out to check this morning and brake lights aren’t working so thats it! Thanks so much I will order a new switch looks like an easy job

So a very productive Saturday/Sunday morning! I have just finished a full 2 stage machine polish followed by 2 coats of Fusso Wax (amazing stuff if you like wax over ceramic coat)

Really pleased with how the paint has come out, a few marks and an odd bit of corrosion at the top of each door edge but very minor for the age and on the whole looks mint I think.
9cfb25f062e37c750053ccfc17073b69.jpg

d72585ae6b2aa3bc912f08279df8268f.jpg

de3950e1fd94aaf4c82ab511f57a3832.jpg

7b36d8fb14e34fc3110acd8307834d55.jpg

I also gave the leather a deep clean as it was so dirty, came up nicely just need to do all the carpets now as they are beige also…. You never realise how much dirt black interior hide until you have a light interior thats for sure
00e8d3016c073105915db514947c34a4.jpg

I used this video for changing the switch.
You can open up the switch and clean the contacts which will allow the switch to work for a short time until the replacement arrives.
I did this as the cruise control doesn't work if the brake light switch has a fault.

Back