3L brake discs

Hello guys. I need to replace front discs and pads on my Lupo 3L. The oem spec diameter is 239. Can I fit bigger 259 discs and pads from 1.4tdi without changing the hubs and brake calipers? I use Oem Lupo/A2 magnesium wheels. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No, hubs are completely different. Why didn't you buy a 1.4Tdi? Would have saved a lot of hassle!

RAB

Yep. It would be a lot better and cheaper, bit it is what it is.... I found out too late what I had gotten into tbh.... I have to replace the engine mount soon, only 300+ euros, feel like I am deiving a Q7
Ty for the reply. If I cant find 3L discs, could I use the same diameter but slightly fatter 1.0 discs They are 239 as well?!

There's plenty of 3L discs available but don't buy cheap ones. False economy.

RAB

That means changing the drive shaft and probably the gearbox connection, not to mention the length. No, just get the correct part for which you are spoilt for choice! Far cheaper and also possible!

RAB

3L and 1.0L Lupo front discs are interchangeable, i.e. they are the same part.

RAB

Thanks for info. For eg VW Touran you can change from 288mm to 302mm front discs just by replacing the calipper bracket/holder. Hub, calipper etc is identical. But 1.2TDI is different I understand now.

Well from whatnIvhave found front discs on a 3L are the same to 1.0 in all respects apart from being slightly thinner..... 1.0 are 18/17 (new/min) thickness whereas 3L ones are 15/13. Dont know if it matters at all..... I will change the rear drums as well. Im still on aluminium oem ones... From what I have learnt, I will need 180mm ones fitted to the Lupo 1.0 as well....

If you look on Etka, 3L and 1L list the same part no. Why change the rears? You will find that steel drums wear much faster than "aluminium" drums!

RAB

At mot last year they detected poor braking force from the rear.... I hear some rubbing sound from the rear drums when braking when they are cold.... My handbrake cable often needs tightening... I suspect my drums are worn?!

I suspect my drums are worn?!

I doubt it. They are as hard as nails as far as wear is concerned. The brake shoes are special though. Normal ones just don't cut the mustard. VW supply Pagid shoes but they don't seem to be available anywhere else. An alternative is Zimmermann 10990.152.3. Both are cheaper long term compared with standard shoes.

RAB

Thanks. I will try to avoid changing them but we are almost oit of options. Im afraid I cant find these in mu country.... I dont know how expensive oem vw shoes are...I had some rubbing sounds while breaking with old shoes. Then I put some Ate or Trwbdont remember and it was the same, poor rubbing brakes...

Front discs are readily available and all those sold in the EU must meet the required original TUV standard. Zimmerman & ATE make reasonably priced ones.

The special 3L rear drums can wear - there is a diameter quoted in the manual and on the drums themselves - get this checked first.

There are two types of 3L rear shoes and they are made of differing compounds - the harder one does wear the drum more quickly.

There is nothing wrong with fitting 1.0L rear steel drums but it will add a few Kgs!

Ok. I will check first, try to find the diameter if possible.... I doubt the previous owner(s) cared much about which parts to put.... Ive had poor brakes, rubbing noise, clicking from the rear right shoe for some indetectable reason... Its like the braking surface the drums somehow became coarse over rime....18 years is a long time....

Is there any advantage to the Tarox discs at the front? Or the Hella discs?

Both of these brands are significantly more expensive than the others. The Tarox discs are apparently less prone to warping and over heating but is there enough of a reduction in brake fade or improvement in service life ro justify paying so much more?

It would be good to make the brakes more responsive. I have also seen some mention of relaxing the rear brakes with discs on the German forum. Is this worth while simply to make the handbrake less maintenance intensive and would it improve braking performance given that the braking is front biased?

Back