A 2 Newbie

Naedugs

Hi I've recently bought a 2002 1.4 tdi, it's a bit of a project,very tidy one family owned car,4 new tyres and 11 months mot! The downside is it needs a front wheel bearing,and the head gasket has gone,plus a few odd bits doing like the fuel filler cap,bonnet release catch needs some adjustment.
The plan is to sort it over the next couple of months as time allows,having had MGF I'm not to worried about the head job!
A couple of questions please, is a workshop manual available?would one for Polo help? an the manifolds stay on the head?
Thanks Andy

I think manifolds can stay on the head for removal
no hains manual, there are some on line manuals from slightly dodgy sources - say no more

front wheel bearing needs a special tool to fit to safely
Fuel filter cap - check that interior light comes on when drivers door is opened, if not and it comes on with other doors, then either solder joints on drivers door lock assy or micro switch on same (Very common fault)
Bonnet release is likely just full of crap, remove it and clean and lub normally sorts it, it can be the catch as worn, if so then PM me as I have 3D printed replacements available, Audi want to sell you a complete service flap at £136 +VAT, mine is a few quid :)
cheers

Hi I've recently bought a 2002 1.4 tdi, it's a bit of a project,very tidy one family owned car,4 new tyres and 11 months mot! The downside is it needs a front wheel bearing,and the head gasket has gone,plus a few odd bits doing like the fuel filler cap,bonnet release catch needs some adjustment.
The plan is to sort it over the next couple of months as time allows,having had MGF I'm not to worried about the head job!
A couple of questions please, is a workshop manual available?would one for Polo help? an the manifolds stay on the head?
Thanks Andy

The front wheel bearings need a special tool to press them into (and out of) the hub, please do not do this job yourself unless you can beg, steal or borrow the right special tool.

Also are you n100% sure that you need new front wheel bearings?

From experience it is entirely possible to get the same noise as a failing bearing from the tyres (especially if economy tyres have been fitted) In one case I could actually feel the vibrations through the steering wheel, I replaced both front bearings (or should I say my mechanic with the right kit did) and it made no difference at all.

I swapped the front wheels over to another set I had with better tyres and SILENCE!

Sorry if you are certain that they need replacing, I am just trying to help save you a lot of money (it is a labour intensive job)

Steve B

front wheel bearing needs a special tool to fit to safely
Fuel filter cap - check that interior light comes on when drivers door is opened, if not and it comes on with other doors, then either solder joints on drivers door lock assy or micro switch on same (Very common fault)
Bonnet release is likely just full of crap, remove it and clean and lub normally sorts it, it can be the catch as worn, if so then PM me as I have 3D printed replacements available, Audi want to sell you a complete service flap at £136 +VAT, mine is a few quid :)
cheers
Some progress made not really the weather to be in the garage recently!The fuel flap turned out to be the switch and the latch that holds the flap closed,got lucky at the local breakers!

The front wheel bearings need a special tool to press them into (and out of) the hub, please do not do this job yourself unless you can beg, steal or borrow the right special tool.

Also are you n100% sure that you need new front wheel bearings?

From experience it is entirely possible to get the same noise as a failing bearing from the tyres (especially if economy tyres have been fitted) In one case I could actually feel the vibrations through the steering wheel, I replaced both front bearings (or should I say my mechanic with the right kit did) and it made no difference at all.

I swapped the front wheels over to another set I had with better tyres and SILENCE!

Sorry if you are certain that they need replacing, I am just trying to help save you a lot of money (it is a labour intensive job)

Steve B
Thanks for your comments Steve,the front OS wheel bearing was shot,my local garage is very helpful I took the hub down and he let me use his press very handy!
I do take your point about the correct diagnosis for noisy wheel bearings,I have a Peugeot 206CC it was very noisy and I suspected a rear wheel bearing,the tyres needed to be replaced when that was done same result as you SILENCE Thanks Andy

I hope he is not just using a press, if he is then it could result in a damaged bearing or worse still one that is not fully home.

A press is NOT the correct tool for this job unfortunately.

Sorry to be stressing this but the only safe way is with the correct tool that is designed for the VAG bearing replacement.

Steve B

Just posted this link in the thread ref front wheel bearings in the How To section.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Front-Whee...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00KI9U3KU
Available evidence suggests his should work, possibly with some adjustment, for a time or two. Also, in that thread is the clarification that you can use it without taking the hub off the car.
All this may be a bit late if the job's done already, but may come in handy if it needs to be done again ever!

I hope he is not just using a press, if he is then it could result in a damaged bearing or worse still one that is not fully home.

Sorry to be stressing this but the only safe way is with the correct tool that is designed for the VAG bearing replacement.

Steve B
Steve

Steve B
Hi Steve Having now read many posts,and web content including watching you tube on how to use the special bearing tool I now fully understand why the tool needs to be used! that bearing is coming out and will be fitted using the correct tools,I'll put the cost of a new bearing down to experience!! Not to be repeated Thanks Andy

Back