A few questions

Taake

Hi all,]

I've had my A2 TDi 90 a month now, and after spending quite a bit getting the brakes and thermostat sorted, I'm looking at getting a few things done here and there and just need some advice from experienced owners.

Firstly, The bonnet flap on the 90 is different to the one on the 75 as you all know. I actually prefer the glossy black one and was wondering if they can be changed around and if the glossy one can be de-badged maybe, or the badge easily removed and painted.

Secondly, I need new boot struts. I found some that are for the A2 but it said they weren't compatible for my car, given the reg?! Can anyone provide a link to a pair of struts? I bought springs for the remote boot opening but the struts aren't in good nick at all.

Also, one of the previous owners has installed blue LED sidelight bulbs which i hate!! LOL. Do I have to remove the headlight to change the bulbs? May sound silly but I've heard it mentioned before and heard its relatively easy.

I'm sure I have more questions, but this is all I can think of atm. Unfortunately I'm not as enthusiastic about the car as most A2 owners seem to be...but I'm hoping if I can sort a few things out it'll come to me. Long list though lol.

TIA

Nope no difference between a 90 and 75 service flap. The differences were production bases i.e. smooth glossy, smooth mat and the later version of ribbed black. Yes they are interchangeable but all look best unmolested.

Get the Febi struts from the thread about the springs but DO NOT fit the springs as you will more than likely cause damage to the car....

You can change the side lights without removing the headlights, only issue is getting the rear access panels back on correctly.

We are all here to help you and it will not be long before you wonder why you never had an A2 before. Just takes some time to get the previous bodges out.

Hi and welcome.
The bonnet flap is the same on all A2s, the smooth one was on the earlier models and the slatted ones on later.
They can be interchanged with a slight modification.

Hi Taaka:

Yes the bonnet grills can be changed, I have a glossy black one, as spare in very good condition, happy to swap with yours, pm if needed.
Ami
p.s As Graham pointed out, the complete grill best to swap, only 2 bolts though, not difficult.

Last edited:
Only thing to bear in mind if swapping is you have to change the complete flap including the chrome surround and the flat ones bolt from the opposite direction to the ribbed ones.

I personally wouldn't fit the boot springs, I did and regretted it when the hinge that connect the boot lid to the car snapped. Lucky we have great breakers in the club who supplied a new hinge but it was a pain to do, it's now sorted but I will never try that again. Totally your choice though, oh and welcome to all things A2. See pic of hinge snapped.
20210524_124003.jpg

Thanks for all the replies, really helpful. I'll leave the boot springs be then as that's just a fancy non essential that sounds like more trouble than it's worth, and I'll look more into the service flap as I'm really not a fan of the ribbed one.

I got the stabilus/Febi struts and they are great. No more smashed nose.

As far as I remember the sidelights are just held in with two sprung metal pieces - one on either side of the light fitting. I think you just protect your paint and gently lever it out side to side and walk it out of the mounting hole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For access to bulbs, I always undo the 2 securing screws, and then slide the headlight assy forward. Much easier than struggling with it in situ.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Back