A warning guys and gals

johnyfartbox

A2OC Donor
United-Kingdom
For those that don't know, do not under any circumstances be tempted to buy these valve caps.

IMG_20201203_122405.jpg

These are the spawn of the devil,
You will very well end up with something like this.

IMG_20201203_122352.jpg

I managed to get this one off using a dremel, only took me an hour.

Oh dear. I had something similar once upon a time and now stick to plastic.

I took it to the local Kwikfit who replaced the valve stem with cap still in place.

They look pretty but maybe a little silicon grease or something before screwing them on would be a good idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for this - only yesterday I ordered some shiny new aluminium ones for my newly fitted sports alloys as a "bit if a treat". Safe to say I won't be fitting them now :(:(

Totally agree. Had this issue with my A3 years ago. There's a reaction with the different metals and they fuse on solid. Had to have all my valves replaced too.

They gave out Audi-original TT-style metal ones at the last ADC meet in 2018. I started using them and had one stick once - but managed to get it off with just slight damage. I then sprayed WD40 liberally inside them and now make sure to loosen and retighten them every week even if it's that A2's "week off". Been fine since ... or I've been lucky ? Might just have to go and put plastic ones on again now ... :oops:

I had put some "tyre pressure monitoring"dust caps on my car (not the A2). After a short while the tyres were deflating. Chap at the tyre shop told me to chuck the caps away and go back to basic plastic ones, which I did. No more problems. A pic of the naughty ones is attached.

Attachments

• shopping.jpg
    shopping.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 145
I got a few of these in Holland. They were Branded "Dunlop" and were VERY cheap! It stated on the package to lubricate the valve threads before fitting. I used silicone grease to do this and they've been absolutely fine. They unscrew easily.

David

Back