A2 1.4 2005 petrol wont start ; Help!!

richierich

Hello,

I have a 2005 1.4 SE petrol in excellent condition with only 67,000 on the clock.

What was an initial intermitent Power Steering failure ( every 50 miles approx) is now practically all the time despite a new pump fitted 3 months ago, a new battery fitted 3 weeks, the dash cluster being sent away ( they could not find the issue).

The past 6 weeks it now wont start first time and takes about 20 attempts if lucky!

The garage cant find any regular VAG codes either and now think it maybe an immobiliser electrical fault and now looking at getting the key checked out / recoded!!

Help !!! Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks

Welcome to A2OC. There have been power steering issues discussed recently, I'll dig some out later. Meantime, the search function isn't great, best to google A2OC with your search, ie A2OC power steering fault.
I'm no expert though I'd put money on the power steering fault having nothing to do with the key/immobiliser. It would be good to post any fault codes here, do you have a reader or VCDS? Garages aren't always very good understanding fault codes.
When the car fails to start are you getting a flashing immobiliser symbol?

Does it turn over / crank on the key?
Has the engine to chassis earth strap nsf been checked for good connection?

Hello,

It does turnover eventually if I wheel it repeatedly. It just struggles to kick in and start up. Not sure if they have checked the earth strap. Worth a shot!

Thanks

what plugs are in it? what fuel? how old is the fuel? When was teh last time the fuel filter was changed? What has been done so far?

Check the strap yourself, it's not hard. What condition is the battery in? Still the original? What voltage across the terminals at the back? What about the front?

- Bret

Welcome to A2OC. There have been power steering issues discussed recently, I'll dig some out later. Meantime, the search function isn't great, best to google A2OC with your search, ie A2OC power steering fault.
I'm no expert though I'd put money on the power steering fault having nothing to do with the key/immobiliser. It would be good to post any fault codes here, do you have a reader or VCDS? Garages aren't always very good understanding fault codes.
When the car fails to start are you getting a flashing immobiliser symbol?
Hello,

No sorry I dont have the fault codes to hand and yes the yellow immobiliser symbol is one of the lights that comes on briefly when trying to start it up. Once started it drives fine but if you drive it for 30 mins go shopping then get back in it the starting issue and power steering light keeps coming on. The MOT is due next week and I really dont want to get rid of it for nothing.

what plugs are in it? what fuel? how old is the fuel? When was teh last time the fuel filter was changed? What has been done so far?

Check the strap yourself, it's not hard. What condition is the battery in? Still the original? What voltage across the terminals at the back? What about the front?

- Bret
Thanks, the battery is a Varta brand new. It was last serviced about 8,000 miles ago.

The car is at the garage so I cant tell you anymore unfortuntely. I will mention this however.

Back