A2 1.4 petrol fuel consumption

• Thread starter Thenotorious7767
  • Start date
T

Thenotorious7767

Hi guys.im new to your forum as i intend to buy an a2 hopefully over the next week or so!i have a clio 172 but im drivin around 90 miles a day so thought an a2 would be better on fuel.dont have alot of money therefore im going for a petrol instead of diesel as the seem to be a little cheaper.80% of my drivin is on motorway and the other 20% is A roads.is it worth my while changing to the a2 as my average on the clio is between 35-40 mpg and is costing me £15 a day on fuel?also ive seen a y reg a2 that im going for,does anyone have the same year as it would be usefull to know how much it costs to fill the tank and how many miles you get from the tank.thanks folks,looking forward to some replies.jamie

Depends how you drive.

I can get the right side of 60mpg with decent tyres, a light right foot and 50mph *cruising*.
In winter, when "driving enthusiastically", I can see the wrong side of 35mpg.

I normally see around 420km (260 miles) from a 28l fillup.

Bret

Hi, with a 02 reg 1.4 petrol, I've just started logging its MPG. First reading gave 41.2 without doing any careful driving but mostly motorway. Next reading should be better. Rob

My Y-reg A2 1.4 SE. Taken over 25,000miles brim-to-brim I have averaged 45.2mpg. Mostly motorway journeys. Best recorded 51.8mpg cruising at 65-70mph in the summer. Worst 33.5mpg, recorded in heavy London commute in cold weather.

Click on the link below for mpg info; it's a good site though sometimes depressing when some people are getting so much more from the same vehicle :(

I get around 45mpg average from my 1.4 petrol. If your really doing that many motorway miles I'd advise you to hold out for a good deal on a diesel, it'll be worth it in the long run.

Our recently buyed 1.4 Petrol (MY 2002) has at the first refuel with reset mileagecouter needed 6.7 l/100 km (which should be around 36 mpg) - then with a mixed driving of Highway (110 kph) and short rounds (2-8 km) with cold starts.
I hope we will get down to 40 mpg with some more careful driving, and maybe in the summer without snow and snowtires...

As a comparison our Subaru Legacy 05 2.5i gets about 8.5l/100km(28 mpg), same driving style...

/K

Hi guys.im new to your forum as i intend to buy an a2 hopefully over the next week or so!i have a clio 172 but im drivin around 90 miles a day so thought an a2 would be better on fuel.dont have alot of money therefore im going for a petrol instead of diesel as the seem to be a little cheaper.80% of my drivin is on motorway and the other 20% is A roads.is it worth my while changing to the a2 as my average on the clio is between 35-40 mpg and is costing me £15 a day on fuel?also ive seen a y reg a2 that im going for,does anyone have the same year as it would be usefull to know how much it costs to fill the tank and how many miles you get from the tank.thanks folks,looking forward to some replies.jamie

As a reply to the original question: From consumption perspective I have a really hard time seeing that you could benefit from changing your Clio (which is also a pretty decent car in that respect).
However I do see the A2 as a premium car with a lean fuel consumption - the Clio - well its just a car - maybe ;)

/K

'As a reply to the original question: From consumption perspective I have a really hard time seeing that you could benefit from changing your Clio (which is also a pretty decent car in that respect).
However I do see the A2 as a premium car with a lean fuel consumption - the Clio - well its just a car - maybe ;)

/K '

klas the point you are missing from the above is that the clio is a 2litre highly tuned petrol clio and the a2 is a lighter 1.4 petrol car. if he cant improve there is a problem somewhere
;)

just got back from the Easter trip up north. Averages according to FIS: 74km/h, over 7:45 or so and 5.6l/100km on 750km. That translates to spot on 50mpg, and that's fully loaded and with absolute **** roads requiring frequent heavy braking and subsequent acceleration. I'm talking foot-wide and deep canyons across the entire road here....

Bret

just got back from the Easter trip up north. Averages according to FIS: 74km/h, over 7:45 or so and 5.6l/100km on 750km. That translates to spot on 50mpg, and that's fully loaded and with absolute **** roads requiring frequent heavy braking and subsequent acceleration. I'm talking foot-wide and deep canyons across the entire road here....

Bret

Good work Bretti, as soon as I have four people in the car, my mpg goes out the window.. I guess if I could keep the thing moving without stop/starts and maybe pump up the tyres more I'd see less of a negative effect.

klas the point you are missing from the above is that the clio is a 2litre highly tuned petrol clio and the a2 is a lighter 1.4 petrol car. if he cant improve there is a problem somewhere
;)

Not necessarily. The Clio itself is not heavy, it should be about the same weight as my loaded 1.4 A2. Besides, it is not really that highly tuned for a 2.0L NA engine. I've just averaged about 42mpg with my 1.4, mostly on motorway, one passenger, air-con on at all times, running OE 16" alloys with 195/50 Falkens. I'm sure switching back to 185 will improve, as would some even lighter 15" wheels. My typical is 37mpg around London.

On the other hand, friend's Exige Mk2 can almost match my mpg on the motorway (now, that's a tuned 2.0 engine) but that's not the A2 having some problem, is it?

What I concern with the OP is having a rather fun little car, will you be sticking to sensible speeds for the 1.4 petrol A2, which is 70mpg? If you don't, the 1.4 petrol A2 really doesn't deliver the mpg at 80mph+. If you want motorway mpg, you're better off with diesel runners.

Back