A2 aerial connector confusion

I would really appreciate precise succinct answers to assist in clarifying my confused state about my Recent A2 purchase and it’s very poor radio reception.

So far.. I bough the car and noticed I only receive FM stations when I’m near to masts in cities. I also noticed the radio which is a concert 2 was slightly protruding from its normal position.

I assumed maybe the coax connection was a bit loose. Managed to pull the radio out only to find lots of signs of previous fiddling. The plastics around the inner housing are a bit mangled. The two aerial coaxial lead connectors have been previously cut and rejoined. I resoldered these both to be double sure the connection is water tight. Still poor FM :0(

I can assume the original radio got stolen hence the coax wires were cut and rejoined to a connector. I then wondered why have I got two coax connectors, one black and round, one smaller square and orange. I wondered if someone when resolderkng these on had got them the wrong way around so I swapped them over, still no reception :0(

So now I just don’t know what to do?? I will probably resolder the coax connectors back around how they were and the little I have read and understood about this, I notice I do have 12 volts coming out of the larger round black coax connector in the radio.

What on Earth is the smaller square orange connector coax for? I get it that some amp down the antenna end might need that 12 volts in the centre of the coax but why have I got that other coax? Is it important? Any ideas why I have no reception. If I still just a bit of wire in the radio antenna hole I get reception better than I get with the coax plugged in!!

Please help anyone with technical knowledge. I’m dedicating all of today to resolve this.

Greg
Audi 53 plate A2 S line Storm 1.4tdi

Concert 2 uses a diversity system hence the two connectors. HF/ZF connections to the diversity module in the boot and them off to the 4 antenna in the rear window.

Concert 2 uses a diversity system hence the two connectors. HF/ZF connections to the diversity module in the boot and them off to the 4 antenna in the rear window.
Hi and thank you for replying. I’m sitting in car right now with boot open and I can’t see anything electrical in the boot apart from polystyrene mould containing a jack. Any pictures or clues as I really can’t see it?

A2 diversity.png

The location of the diversity box is indicated by the red arrow in the above picture

It is worth pointing out that the "Box" is empty and it is only used for a TV tuner etc. If you look closely at "AJ's very helpful picture you will just about see a yellow wire at the back of the box (slightly to the left of the arrow head). This is where the connections are. Sometimes these can suffer a bit from corrosion (if your boot area gets damp). So check the connections first before stripping anything else.

Steve B

Last edited:
Determined today to fix this as I have the day off work but I feel I don’t know enough yet about it. Other people talk about pulling trim off side of tailgate and there are amps in there. So confused, I don’t know if I should be looking in boot or inside trim on tailgate?

As I said above, check the wiring on the connections in the boot first, before pulling off the tailgate trim.
You can see one of the wires in his picture (a yellow one) by the arrowhead

Steve B

You don’t think I have the wrong radio for my car do you? I have two black coax cables coming to head unit that have previously been cut and reconnected which is suspicious. Plus radio looks like it’s been purchased secondhand. I suspect the original got stolen, assuming original was also a concert 2 but perhaps not?

It looks like someone has butchered your car and removed it and so it is no surprise that you are having reception issues.

The only suggestion I can make is to try fitting and inline aerial booster.

Sorry
Steve B

Oh crikey ok. Thanks. So all models should have that black box whether they have diversity or bose (whatever they are) and the stuff behind the tailgate trim is additional to the essential box in the boot?

Oh crikey ok. Thanks. So all models should have that black box whether they have diversity or bose (whatever they are) and the stuff behind the tailgate trim is additional to the essential box in the boot?

Yes, that is about right.

Steve B

Back