A2 Concept Drawings?

Rusty911

A2OC Donor
I'm sure I've seen around here a snapshot of the early A2 concept drawings (not sure if they were official or not). I think in blue and silver? If I did, I can't find it now!

Was it ever an official poster, or something that could be worked up into one?

Would love to get one framed and then do, in the same frame style, pics of my two cars. Just thought it might look well either up the stairs or in the bathroom.

Last edited:
Ive definitely got these somewhere, I can scan them in if forum rules allow the sharing of such material. as i obviously do not own the rights to the content in the industry journal it comes from but certainly is of historical interest.

I'll write a forum post / design story for it if that helps.. gota do something to look like i'm working from home

I'm sure I've seen around here a snapshot of the early A2 concept drawings (not sure if they were official or not). I think in blue and silver? If I did, I can't find it now!

Was it ever an official poster, or something that could be worked up into one?

Would love to get one framed and then do, in the same frame style, pics of my two cars. Just thought it might look well either up the stairs or in the bathroom.
I am a massive fan of the early A2 concept cars......If you get yourself the A2 book, there are plenty of amazing concept sketches inside. You might scan them, print them big and frame them. No copyright material infringement if they hung inside your home ;).

I am a massive fan of the early A2 concept cars......If you get yourself the A2 book, there are plenty of amazing concept sketches inside. You might scan them, print them big and frame them. No copyright material infringement if they hung inside your home ;).

Ahh, that's brilliant, thank you very much ?

Ive definitely got these somewhere, I can scan them in if forum rules allow the sharing of such material. as i obviously do not own the rights to the content in the industry journal it comes from but certainly is of historical interest.

I'll write a forum post / design story for it if that helps.. gota do something to look like i'm working from home

That would be marvellous: surely a good thing for the forum at the very least ?

audi_a2_1997_pictures_1.jpegimages_audi_a2_1997_1.jpeg

Ahh, now this is embarrassing: I've no idea where it came from, but it seems I saved it at the time as I've just tripped over it on the computer. As with these tests of memory, it's not as official-looking as I'd remembered.

Anyone know anything about it?

I really like it ...

index.jpg

Ahh, now this is embarrassing: I've no idea where it came from, but it seems I saved it at the time as I've just tripped over it on the computer. As with these tests of memory, it's not as official-looking as I'd remembered.

Anyone know anything about it?

I really like it ...

View attachment 62914
That illustration is reproduced on pages 48 - 49 of Conradt's excellent book on the A2. My eyesight isn't good enough to read the accompanying caption at this time of night; I'll give it another go in the morning if no-one else has done so in the meantime.

That illustration is reproduced on pages 48 - 49 of Conradt's excellent book on the A2. My eyesight isn't good enough to read the accompanying caption at this time of night; I'll give it another go in the morning if no-one else has done so in the meantime.

Okay, I've got there. They are design sketches by (Luc) Donckerwolke, then the head of concept development at Audi, and the caption centres on the "Don't lose the nerves" comment across the foot, suggesting that Audi were becoming nervous about the Al2 in the run up to Frankfurt '97.

That picture has been quite widely posted online, such as here:

Last edited:
That's really interesting: when I stumbled over it on my own computer (having completely forgotten I'd saved it) I wondered if actually, it was simply a student / fan sketch rather than something more 'official'.

I'm going to have to get the book: I take it there's no english language version? Any other A2 'bibles' I should consider? On the Smarts there were a couple that seemed to stand out as covering all the design, management and production highlights which were / are nice to have.

I'm going to have to get the book: I take it there's no English language version? Any other A2 'bibles' I should consider? On the Smarts there were a couple that seemed to stand out as covering all the design, management and production highlights which were / are nice to have.

The book has not yet been translated, since there is nowhere near sufficient demand to justify the costs involved. I speak German to the point where I can get by with a little effort, but the book is so copiously illustrated that you can buy it for that alone.

As yet, there is no other book on the A2 that I know of.

The book has not yet been translated, since there is nowhere near sufficient demand to justify the costs involved. I speak German to the point where I can get by with a little effort, but the book is so copiously illustrated that you can buy it for that alone.

As yet, there is no other book on the A2 that I know of.

I find that amazing: not the translation, just the lack of other books out there. You'd have thought there would be a bit of demand back when they were new to have the back-story and production methods down in print.

I'd better get ordering the book and learning some German :D

Many thanks :)

Back