A2 Driver's Door Adjustment

PaulH

IMG_0676.JPG

Hi, collected this March 2001 registered A2 1.4TDI (75BHP) with 113,000 miles on Monday from a dealer near Newark. Tidy for 19yrs old, minor body scuffs but nothing serious. Dark grey leather interior has held up well, faring better than fabric of similar age. I wondered if this example is known on here previously? Came with a driver's window deflector which I removed as it spoilt clean lines, in my opinion. Annoyingly deflector appears to have distorted rubber door seal with resulting gap between seal and door frame, causing a little water ingress over last two days...

IMG_0693.JPG

IMG_0695.JPG

Driver's door seal with gap, front passenger side below with snug fitting seal..

IMG_0691.JPG

A handy friend has adjusted/tightened door bolts and retaining door bracket on frame to bring door in closer, which it has but couldn't see bolts to adjust door height - does the door card need removing to get to bolts to allow door height adjustment..?

Thanks.

Robin_Cox

To me it looks like the aluminium frame that the window is seated in is actually slightly squiffy - ie low at the rear end. The frame bolts into the door frame with torx screws that (if I remember?) have an eccentric outer allowing you to move them up and down / forwards / backwards while loosened to get those seals to seat properly. I'm pretty certain that @Sarge here has tutorials to step-wise dismantle the door to get to the adjusters - here we are :

31-32

Robin_Cox

Robin_Cox

I've got a door replacement job that will involve swapping a window frame over to a new outer panel, so finding this was important for me too - seeing your question prompted me to look for it - there is so much useful advice here. Best of luck!