A2 Owners Club Social !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart_D

Past Member
The forum is great, but lets face it - most of us want to compare extras, show off our sound systems and look at modifications.

Quite a few people have been asking and there's been some good feedback with regards to first ever A2OC social. There are now over 150 A2OC members arounds the world and so I think it is time to take the club to the next level. Despite constant ribbing from my wife and friends, I have decided to go ahead with planning the event! (Needless to say, the wife won't be coming!!)

It's difficult to satisfy everyone with something like this and you have to look on it as the first event, hopefully to be followed by many more in other locations. So I apologise in advance if it ends up taking place somewhere that is too far for you to travel to.

I have been looking for a country pub around the Folkestone area that has a large car park and that obviously serves food. What I'm thinking is that I will pick a Sunday early next year and that all A2OC members are welcome - I would especially love to see some European members, and I will investigate group discounts on Eurotunnel or car ferrys if enough people are interested.

I am slightly concerned about people's committment. These types of things take some organising and I am happy to do it but not if 20 people say they are coming and only 2 turn up!

The question is - would UK people be willing to pay ~£5 up front to show their committment in return for a prepaid, prearranged buffet lunch? Or is it best to rely on people's word that they will come? I think it's different for the European members as they would have to fork out for a channel crossing.

I am also considering inviting representatives from companies such as ABT or the Audi magazine to come along if they want to. Please tell me what you think of this idea, and if you have any suggestions as to other reps that you would like invited, please reply to this or email me: [email protected]

I hope that there's enough interest in this, I think it would be a good laugh and something new to talk about for many months in the forum!

That's about all I can think of right now!

Stuart.

2001 TDI SE, Open Sky System, 16" six spoke alloys, Kenwood Mask CD.
A2 Owners Club: www.Audi-A2.co.uk

Hi Stuart !

Although it's quite a long drive for me from Norway I would just love to attend a A2 social.
My only request would be if the social could be held in the spring or early summer. This would make the drive a lot more pleasent :)
And perhaps some of the other members from Norway, Denmark and Sweden could join in along the way and we could travel together.
That would be quite a sight :)

Hmmmmm.....this means that I would have to buy a map for the UK for my navigation system :D

BK

Soon the owner of a Silver 1.4 TDI S-Line (Sport in the UK) with Open Sky, ECC, APS, CruiseControl, Navigation Plus + TV + BOSE + CD changer, Sideguard, Mobile phone, El. rear windows, Fog lights, Winter Package, ISOFIX, Headlight washers, Space Floor +++++++

Yes - spring would be nice, I'll bare it in mind.

It would be amazing to see a convoy of A2s driving down the road. It may even be fun to all drive somewhere else from the pub where we have lunch.

Hi,

I want to attend the social too. It depends a little bit on the timing of the Gathering wether I'll be attending or not. My new house should be finished somewhere in May next year, so around that time I won't be coming. If it's before may (late April perhaps) then I will be there.
If I am going I'll try to arrange the crossing of the water for the European Members (alike Moses once did).
I did notice that the fare for the Eurotunnel varies with the month, cheapest is around October :)
For instance if we were to go next weekend (14 & 15 September) the fare would be 177 Pounds. But if we can get 10 or more cars we can get a discount, but we have to cross together.

But I'm willing to attend and pay a small fee. Maybe the locals can organize a nice sightseeing drive or something like that !!

I'm already looking forward to it !!

Dennis de Held

Amulet Red 1.4 Tdi

I plan to attend, too.....after all, I have a fuel-economic car....:)
Is the Eurotunnel really that expensive??

Bye, Frido.

----
A2 1.2 TDI 2002 silver

Sounds fantastic-although I'm still in support of the meet being held in a Tecos car park-with petrol station attached of course.

Agree on the £5 front-especially if there is to be a buffet of Tesco select sausage rolls, scotch eggs etc.

Timing will always be an issue with us all-when a date is announced if I can make it I will-if not, I wont!. But I will try my hardest to be there.

And good on you for taking the time and effort to organise!.

Steve - 1.4SE petrol, 2002, Silver

Would non-A2 members (ie those seriously interested in getting one - like me) be welcomed (obviously not getting in the middle of any A2 convoy!)??? I might get an A2 next April/May, and so seeing the different versions, colours, extra's and sound systems that people have all in one place could be really useful to help in the decision making process.

quote:Originally posted by Gav
[br]Would non-A2 members (ie those seriously interested in getting one - like me) be welcomed (obviously not getting in the middle of any A2 convoy!)??? I might get an A2 next April/May, and so seeing the different versions, colours, extra's and sound systems that people have all in one place could be really useful to help in the decision making process.

Yes, but you have to pay double and drive at the end of the convoy !!

:D

Dennis de Held

Amulet Red 1.4 Tdi

quote:Originally posted by frido
[br]I plan to attend, too.....after all, I have a fuel-economic car....:)
Is the Eurotunnel really that expensive??

Bye, Frido.

----
A2 1.2 TDI 2002 silver

Frido,

Yes, the tunnel is really THAT expensive !! I was quite shocked myself...

The ferry from "Hoek van Holland" (try to pronounce that) to Harwich is almost equally expensive, plus the longer drive through England (which i don't like because of the left/right problem).
There's an alternative, the ferry from calais to dover is presumed to be cheaper.

I've checked. In April 2003 (weekend 12/13) the ferry calais-dover-calais costs 160 Euro's.

BTW we have to contact the P&O ferry... When I select Audi I can't select A2, the type isn't listed :(

Dennis de Held

Amulet Red 1.4 Tdi

Stuart !

As mentioned before great idea, And I'm in the same position as you so the wife will stay at home :D.

£5 is cool I'm sure as all the money we save on fuel.

If anyone else wants to travel from Devon area please let me know as we can convoy from there.

2001 1.4 TDI SE, Crystal Blue, Open Sky, Climate Control, El.Rear Windows 16" six spoke alloys, Alpine CD/MP3 & Genesis Components & Amps, Focal Sub all custom fitted.

quote:

Yes, but you have to pay double and drive at the end of the convoy !!

Or perhaps start ahead of the convoy and stop in a convient location to video the convoy passing! Then join the back, overtake and repeat...

The A2 drivers (dependant on engine choice) could all have a mpg competition to see who has the lightest right foot!

Quick Q: What's a typical milage range on an A2? I easily get 500 miles / 800km from my Punto...

I think it’s nothing short of brilliant that those from “foreign lands” are happy to really put themselves out for a meeting in Folkstone, and I sincerely hope that such levels of grand enthusiasm will spread across the members in England/Britain.

I believe Folkstone has a Tesco’s so I shall have no trouble in persuading my wife to attend. All I would ask is that the event offers a decent lunch/dinner because those travelling a long journey would rightly require something more interesting than a sausage roll. I might add I am only around 40 miles from Folkstone so its no hardship for me to check out that any allocated pub is not a dump.

As the past Chairman of a camera club I can speak with a little experience when it comes to arranging events, and it’s a fact of life as far as I am concerned that if no money is involved then 50% of those who said they would go will not. If on the other hand the money is paid up front then the percentage becomes more closer to 98%. That said we must all acknowledge that it’s a very big commitment for those travelling from abroad, and I can only but ask that such individuals think twice before saying yes.

Anyway because of the reasons stated (and to remove Stuart from potential dire embarrassment) I think it has to be money up front with no refund for anyone who changes their minds. This way if say 20 club members are coming from Calais we can sink the ferry and all get drunk from the funds in the kitty.

On my own part in being a Golf owner I really do not mind travelling at the rear of any convey, however this is with one proviso. You need to overtake me first, and I will not accept any Tesco vouchers to not be competitive.

Keen individuals like “Gav” should be made as welcome as anyone else, and it should hardly matter whether they own an A2 or not – although naturally they must be A20C members. The latter which I hope and believe does not restrict anyone from joining.

Yes, because of short days the event must be held in the spring as opposed to the winter.

Regards
John Disdale

Mmmmm, Non-A2 owners.....Well as long as they bring washing equipment with them and offer to wash any A2's they are directed to-it will get them into good practise for when they get one of their own!.

Steve - 1.4SE petrol, 2002, Silver

quote:Originally posted by runboy
Mmmmm, Non-A2 owners.....Well as long as they bring washing equipment with them and offer to wash any A2's they are directed to-it will get them into good practise for when they get one of their own!.

mental note to self: If I were to attend, make sure my car looks really badly washed (kind of like normal!) so no self-respecting A2 owner would dare give me a sponge! Perhaps to fit in more I could borrow my cousins TT...

What about a 'loudest stereo' competition too... That's one area of Punto ownership I enjoy. 100W sub as standard.

Once a date is fixed and I've been to the Motor Show to sit in an A2 I can decide on attending. (I'm currently working in Oslo, thus meaning a trip to a dealer would be a little wierd. Having never driven a LHD vehicle it could get a little interesting!)

Anyone for the range Q?

Stuart.
Yep....
OK I'll sit at the back of the convoy. Just ensure you A2 drivers don't dawdle about, us PD130 owners like to get a move on you know :D

I think payment upfront is fine.

Roy

Stuart,

I'm on :D

If you fix the weekend, I'll check we're (wife also) are free and post you the cash (£10 of course) - :)

Kaine

Gav,

Also got a Punto and I'm lucky to get 250 miles out of a tank. Most of my driving is short journeys. The best I've ever had is approx 38mpg.

As for the social, being local to Folkstone like JD, we would be making an appearance when the date is set. We're not actually members of A2OC yet but we haven't got an A2 yet!!!!

Almost a 1.4SE in Merlot Red, Biege interior, 16" 5 spoke alloys, DIS, Open Sky, Elec rear windows.

Wow, great feedback everyone!
I see the money is going up on it's own...I started it at £5, but £10 sounds fine!

I don't see why non-A2 owners shouldn't come. I don't want it to turn into a car showroom though! The convoy drives should be great if we can organise what regions people are all coming from plus of course we'll just do one for the sake of once we all get there! And as someone suggested I'd like to get some good video/photo footage of the whole event. At the rate we're going we could have a Golf PD convoy as well!

I was looking at using the EuroTunnel recently for some business trips and it really isn't that cheap. I'm sure it'll work out better if you don't mind sitting on a ferry unless a good group booking can be made but timing will probably be hard.

By the way, I've just made some serious updates to the site so next time any of you visit, please click your refresh button!

Stuart.

quote:Originally posted by Rob Earl

Also got a Punto and I'm lucky to get 250 miles out of a tank. Most of my driving is short journeys. The best I've ever had is approx 38mpg.

My Punto is a yr 2000 8v ELX (1242cc), and does mainly longer country roads / motorways. Average over 18 months is 51mpg, best is 60mpg for a single fill up (which included some steady motoring at 80 km/h in Sweden/Norway the other month). It's got about a 52 litre tank, but I've only ever filled up with about 45 litres of petrol. I'd really appreciate knowing how far A2's can go with style of driving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back