A2 rear number plate lights

Dougal

A2OC Donor
Can anyone advise how to access / swap the rear number plate lamp holders (not just bulbs) ?
2005 TDI Sport

Scroll down to the German video showing the whole procedure. 👍

Holders are fitted into the reverse side of the external bootlid trim that can only be removed after you've removed the internal bootlid trim and undone various bits and pieces. It is a bit of a pain, but once you've done it once it gets faster.

One of a few threads where this process is explained - with some decent photos :.

Yep, you have to remove the rim where the licence plate is. It's pain in the butt to get it off. BTW if you are buying new light housings, buy stainless screws. Original are just casual zinc coated carbon steel that will rot after few years ;)

Evening,

I’ve only just purchased a pack of 10 marine grade stainless steel screws for this exact task:

3BB0AE1C-583F-43AE-BD72-38854F651179.jpeg

These are the exact same screws (observe the size in the above picture) that was recommended in another thread by a member who is sadly no longer with us.

Kind regards,

Tom

I found on the forum another way that a member overcame the rusted screws a few years back, I did the same today, I bought a 8mm diamond hole saw e bay 124449670091 and drilled all the way through the plastic with the remains of the screw in the centre of the Holesaw, I then used JB weld to fix these RAWL well nuts M4 x 12mm 8mm OD short stainless screw e bay 202776653954. I still had to remove the inner panel to remove the plastic that fell into the tail gate got them out with a small plastic pipe with grease on it.

Or the method I used to extract the broken screws..

Drill the remains of the head / shank just slightly larger than a small torx bit, then use a torx bit in an electric screwdriver. As you twist the torx bit in the drilled hole the flutes of the bit catch the bolt and in my case extracted the remains without any trouble.

Back