A2 Tdi Project Hi-Ho

ICowie

A2OC Donor
Scotland
A2 wheeels 2.jpg

A2 Stripes 2.jpg

A2 Old 3.JPG

This is my first A2 despite having a love for them for many years. I've owned it's big brothers in A8/S8's but due to modern running costs the A2 Tdi is much more appealing. I recently bought it and although I like the look of the cars I wanted to loose the slight granny look of the car but try to keep the original Audi styling using subtle changes.

The first photo is of the 18" R32 alloys with 215/35 18 tyres that I fully refurbed, bought brand new tyres at great expense without fully knowing whether they would fit or not but thankfully they fitted perfectly without any modifications. I personally think they look really nice and transform the look of the car. I was worried the big wheels would ruin the drive of the car but in actual fact the car drives better although the MPG has gone down so the speedometer is probably out as well, I will need to check using GPS.

The second photo is of the Audi side stripes I fitted yesterday,. To be honest I'm not sure if I'm 100% happy with them, I might add a red pin stripe so they're not just plain black or possibly red and yellow to represent the German flag just so I don't look like Ebay's best customer lol I'm also planning on adding S badges to the front grill and tailgate so that would tie in with the red pin stripes.

The third photo is of the car when I bought it. It's in good condition for the year with only a few very light scratches to the bodywork mainly on the rear arches which will all be easy to repair, I'm not sure if it's down to the aluminium body but there's absolutely no dents to the body not even car park dents which is a surprise considering the age of the car. It drives really well with no knocks or bangs , everything feels tight despite it having covered 134k luckily it has good service history to back this up. All in all I was really pleased with my purchase.

I also have a mk1 TT 3 spoke steering wheel with the S badge on it's way which I'll add a photo of once fitted but if anyone has any other tasteful mods that can be done please let me know as I'm running out of ideas fast.
A2 TT wheel.jpg

A2 Plate.jpg

Update Photos
First pic is of the TT steering wheel that was way easier to fit than I thought it might be and looks/feels so much nicer than the original wheel, I just need to find a leather interior to match it now. ;)
The second pic is of the plate I bought for the car, I know the purists will say you don't get such a thing as a S2 but all the A2 plates that were available were all pretty rubbish. plus I've ordered S badges to fool fools so that will tie in with the plate nicely.

My A2OC sticker set arrived today so I'll need to get them fitted next.

Last edited:
Yes it's got the sunroof but it doesn't open, you can hear the motor working but it's as if the teeth are worn or jumping and I believe it's an absolute nightmare to fix. It doesn't leak so I think I'll leave well alone

Yes it's got the sunroof but it doesn't open, you can hear the motor working but it's as if the teeth are worn or jumping and I believe it's an absolute nightmare to fix. It doesn't leak so I think I'll leave well alone
Yes, OSS can be a pig to fix though good info available here. Had been watching your car since it popped up in at a local dealer though didn't get round to viewing it.
My favourite mods, LED interior lights, automatic headlight switch, cruise control, remap(this is by FAR the best mod available IMO).

I might have a go at fixing it once I run out of mods to do :p Is the led conversion done by just swapping bulbs? I was thinking of adding front fogs as well so could do the headlight switch at the same time.

I might have a go at fixing it once I run out of mods to do :p Is the led conversion done by just swapping bulbs? I was thinking of adding front fogs as well so could do the headlight switch at the same time.
Yes, though the front map lights are known to be reverse polarity. Front fogs are not wired unless a factory fit, like the majority of A2 electrical mods, looms were not created to be universal.

Perfect I'll maybe get some bulbs and give it a go as for the fog lights I'll probably leave it or just fit them for cosmetics

Hi Paul, What are the different options for fitting the remap, I tried having a look at your 3D printed parts but it's saying I don't have permission to view.

3D printed parts stuff copied here -
Hi,
For some time now I have been offering a 3D printing service to A2OC members of obsolete / difficult to obtain A2 parts
Every part of the A2 is not always suitable for 3D printing, however a lot are, so if there are parts that you can no longer buy / the part is ridiculously expensive etc then please make contact and I will see what can be done

Glove Box Light Switch repair piece - £3.50 + P&P (normally 80 pence)
Fuse cover repair C clips and fuse removal tool holder - £6.00 + P&P (normally 80 pence) for the set of three
Engine dip stick end (to repair your existing dip stick when the plastic end as broken off) - £5.00 for two + P&P (normally 80 pence)
Rear cup holder front bracket (8z0864079b) - £25 + P&P (£3.30) For the later cup holder (see page 10 posts for pictures)
Rear cup holder front bracket (8z0864079) - £25 + P&P (£3.30) For the earlier cup holder (see page 10 posts for pictures)
Rear cup holder rear clips (pair) £12 + P&P (normally 80 pence)
Under engine tray mounting parts (2 parts to fit the cross member and two to fit where the bolts are located on the chassis rails for when they have broken free) £7.00 + P&P (normally 80 pence)
Double Din aftermarket radio mounting kit for the 7021G head unit including facia (looks as near to OEM as I have ever seen) consists of two mounting lugs, two retainers and the fascia in four parts to be glued together before spraying matt black £25 + P&P (£3.30)
Other fascias custom made to your own measurements are available - £20 + P&P (normally 80 pence)
Service flap locking catch £5.00 + P&P (normally 80 pence)
Mounting plate for the CANBUS controller for the multi function steering wheel - £5.00 + P&P (normally 80 pence)
Mounting box for rear view camera to locate on top of the tail gate trim panel so the camera looks through the tail gate glass - £8.00 + P&P (£3.30)
Centre vent vertical flap linking part £3.00 + 60 pence P&P
False Floor hinge pins (Pair) printed in black ABS so stronger than the original Audi part £7 for the pair + 80 pence P&P
Aero Wiper assembly cover including spraying matt black to match the wiper arms £10 + 80 pence P&P
Hand brake button £9 + P&P (now obsolete from Audi in both black and chrome)
Triangular trim to fit between headlining and the rear view mirror to hide cables for auto dimming rear view mirror / DAB aerial £12 + £3 P&P

There may be other parts that I have forgotten about, I will double check over the next couple of days and update the post
If there is anything that you are unable to obtain or is too expensive and it can be made from plastic then feel free to drop me a PM and we can discuss if it is a candidate for 3D printing.

All of the above parts are offered as a service to the A2OC, just my way of me paying back a little something for all the information that I have gained from the A2OC over the last 18 months

Remap - you can buy an mpps cable and use an old laptop win7 32 bit is the latest it will work with from ebay from about £10, the remap file is £20 by email.
Or you can post my your ECU and I will do the remap for you £25 plus postage
or I offer a loan ECU service, as above but more P&P costs, but it keeps your A2 on the road throughout and allows you to try before you buy
or you can drive to St Annes, Lancs for the remap
Cheers
Paul

Luckily there's not much wrong with the rest of car but it's good to know there's that option. As for the remap, Why's it so cheap? It's usually around £200 for a decent remap

Why's it so cheap? Only one answer : Altruism. Something you experience a great deal here at A2OC, both with parts, advice and in this case, Paul's expertise.

Why's it so cheap? Only one answer : Altruism. Something you experience a great deal here at A2OC, both with parts, advice and in this case, Paul's expertise.

I just believe in the old saying if it's too good to be true it usually is, Although I'm also all for being proved wrong and I suppose for £30 odd quid what's the worst that could happen.

I just believe in the old saying if it's too good to be true it usually is, Although I'm also all for being proved wrong and I suppose for £30 odd quid what's the worst that could happen.
Paul(Depronman) has developed a 'generic' map though it is in use on dozens of A2OC cars. He 'sells' it at this low cost to cover his time rather than to profit. It brings a smile to my face every time I use it (the extra oomph). I've installed it on both our TDI's and a fellow members car without issue.

I was wary at first because A, I don't have too much experience in remapping cars and B, I was always warned off cheap tuning chips etc but after seeing that other members are singing Paul's praises I think I'll be getting mine done in the near future.

The remap is (as others have stated) ‘sold’ to cover my time only. I developed it for my own A2 and was very happy with the results. Then I drove an A2 which was professionally remapped by one of the better remapppers and was really surprised that there was no noticeable difference to my own remap
The owner was surprised that his £350 rolling road remap was no better so I fitted my spare ecu with my remap into his car and he took it for a drive. Half hour latter he was also of the opinion that there was no difference
As I developed the remap for my own purposes my goal was not to make money from it so I offered it to this great A2 community at a nominal fee which covers my time to provide the remap and is my way of paying back some of the good will and advise that I have been offered over the last 2 ½ years of A2 ownership
I have over a hundred A2 owners running my remap on a combination of AMF. BHC and AML engines with only one none happy owner. His A2 was returned to std map foc with the conclusion being that there was an inherent fault on that car which the remap showed up but the std map didn’t must likely an intercooler leak

At the end of the day you pays your money and takes your chance, as the saying goes, but over an hundred people are unlikely to be wrong
Cheers Paul (Depronman)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back