A2oc does Duxford Imperial War Museum

a2sumo

A2OC Donor
As the title states --we are planning a day out at Duxford--http://www.iwm.org.uk/visits/iwm-duxford

If you have never been before or a returning visitor you will be in for a great day. They have this year just refreshed the fantastic American hangar that contains a great collection that looks impossibly poised on wires. There is also the land warfare displays that immerse you into times gone by. Duxford is also an active airfield so you often get treated to some flying treats.
please add your name if your intending to come to the calendar link found here

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=96&day=2016-9-25&c=1

As it is a sunday and some will be traveling some distance i think if we were to arrive for 11.00am entry.

---i will also be adding a pub meal but it will be early evening so those that are traveling a greater distance can then get home at a sensible time.
Cheers mike and yvonne

I am genuinely miffed about having to miss this Duxford meet due to planned family holiday. I really hope that it is on the social calendar for next year. For those who may not have visited Duxford before its a great day out with plenty to see and do... well worth the trip out !. :)

I have been to Duxford a couple of times with the grandchildren.

It really is one of those places that you can spend all day looking around and enjoy every minute.

Lots of interesting planes flying around too and you can pay to go on some of them and have a fun flight.

Lots of tanks as well, or should I say "Tanks a lot"

A brilliant venue and I am really looking forward to it.

Steve B

Added to the list Mike; though attendance will be be determined by Di and Kayleigh's respective operations.

I have never been, but always wanted to go, so very much hope things work out. Ideally I would love to be there for a Battle of Britain memorial event one day too.

Cheers,

Darren

If you intend going in the near future, I suggest a visit over the weekend of 10/11 September. At the same airshow last year there were 17 Spitfires flying (actually 15 Spitfires & 2 Seafires) at the same time! View on Youtube. You need to buy tickets beforehand. I'll be there on the Saturday.

RAB

Yes Rab that would be fab to see ---my only concern in doing a show date is the traffic queues and then parking for us all. I have friends that work in the rebuild areas and got a tip from them in that "come the day before a show" you get to see the practice displays at normal prices and without the people. Good tip i have used and its a great day. cheers mike

Yes, it's good to get there early (I'm planning on 9am!) and leave late (or early)! Apart from the flying, there is a lot to see!

RAB

Only just seen this thread. By coincidence we went to Duxford yesterday for the first time. We sensibly payed the extra £5 for the annual ticket so will be going back.
It was a great day with an unexpected amount of flying, including a Spitfire doing loops and rolls. Too much to see in one trip so the extra fiver is a good investment
A2sumo's tip about going the day before a flying event is much appreciated.

Hope to attend the A2OC social

Geoff

I'm absolutely gutted. We are in Liverpool on the Saturday night and are staying over (and drinking!) so that counts us out.

I/we would definitely have attended had their not been a diary clash. Definitely next year! :)

It was a great day with an unexpected amount of flying, including a Spitfire doing loops and rolls.

Doesn't compare with the sight and sound of a mass take-off of Spitfires, in rows of four, in quick succession (seconds)!

RAB

Have a great time at Duxford all

Gutted I cannot make my first meet. Despite living 10 miles away we have family commitments elsewhere that weekend. I am a regular visit to Duxford as a member with my two young boys...what a museum. Best place for the club to display would be on the grass between the american museum and tank museum. They do a lot of car shows and owner club visits during the year. Always lots of aircraft flying there during the day and even F1 testing if you are lucky. As a minimum you will see a Dragon Rapide and Tiger Moth flying and perhaps a B17 and a Catalina. You would have had a bad day if you did not see a spitfire or two. Hope you have great weather....gutted

Looking forward to going back to duxford with A2oc after a 6 year gap. It's a fab day out - at this point in time we are unable to get a group parking area inside. So we will be in the General carpark. Many thanks Mike and Yvonne.

Reactions: AJB
To be honest you will probably get more interest if the cars are all lined up in the general car park to the right hand side of the entrance to the shopor better still parked on the grass next to the tank and hurricane at the entrance. Got to see if I can get over, even if it is just for half an hour

Hi fellow A2'ers not long till Duxford this Sunday - in the original post I said about a meal afterwards. So can I ask how many of you are interested in finding food after the day at duxford ? Cheers Mike and Yvonne

Hi Mike

Could i ask what time your thinking of, for the meal as possibly 3 for the meal , maybe four if mother comes ;)

Best wishes sent for Diane's operation Darren and hope she feels better soon, hopefully see you all sunday..

Regards Gary

Cheers Gary; many thanks mate. See you all Sunday all being well.

Hi Mike

Could i ask what time your thinking of, for the meal as possibly 3 for the meal , maybe four if mother comes ;)

Best wishes sent for Diane's operation Darren and hope she feels better soon, hopefully see you all sunday..

Regards Gary

Hi Mike,

I'll place a tentative hand in the air for the family of four. It, like the attendance, is dependent on Diane's operation tomorrow and how she feels on the Sunday.

Thanks mate.

Darren

Our best wishes to Diane for a speedy recovery,

Simon and Wendy

Back