A2OC driving day?

A2Steve

A2OC Donor
Wales
Seeing poccoloco's video of the German a2 clubs recent get together has got me thinking. Do you think perhaps we could arrange a driving day as a social? It would be great to see a convoy of 20+ A2's on one of Britain's best driving roads.

My suggestion would be the A4069 that travels 26 miles across the Brecon Beacons national park in Mid Wales. Plenty of spots to stop for group photos, fantastic scenery and a pub meal at the end possibly even a bit of camping for those who fancied staying longer! It's very popular with car clubs as its one of Top Gear's favourites but we would obviously take it as more of a leisure drive than a road race :)

What do people think of the concept?

Update:

I am looking to arrange this for end of August to mid September. It will probably be leaving from the Nant-Ddu Lodge (Cwm Taf, Merthyr Tydfil CF48 2HY 01685 379111) at the edge of the Brecon Beacons at around 9:30am and then heading into the Beacons for a drive through the national park and across the Black Mountains. We will take in the A4069 (documented by Top Gear as one of the best driving roads in the UK) as part of the journey stopping towards the top of the mountains in a large carpark to take in the scenery and get some group shots. We will then head back across the mountain in a different direction in a round trip back to the Nant-Ddu Lodge for a pub meal.

All of these plans are up for negotiation and I would value everyones input. The Nant-Ddu lodge currently has accomodation available and there are 6 other hotels within a 2 mile radius. There are also plenty of campsites within the Brecon Beacons if anyone would like to camp overnight.

The Nant-Ddu lodge carpark can hold about 25 of us but others could join on a couple of miles up the road. I think to make this justifiable then we should really have at least 10 cars taking part.
Please can I ask that you express your interest in this social via this thread.

Names of people who will be attending:

A2Steve

Last edited:
rara0h.jpg

It is almost traditional for us to get lost on the drive to the venue, but what is going to happen when the drive IS the venue???

It would be great if we could get a few A2s from mainland Europe to join in!!!

We could then reciprocate with a European drive, perhaps?

Steve B

It is almost traditional for us to get lost on the drive to the venue, but what is going to happen when the drive IS the venue???

It would be great if we could get a few A2s from mainland Europe to join in!!!

We could then reciprocate with a European drive, perhaps?

Steve B

If you can set a date , and I can too.
I take the redsnail and drone.
And can also arrange that more A2 drivers come .

Subject to date, I'll be interested. 2.5 hr drive from west Wiltshire

Correction! 2 hours to Brecon - Google Maps was giving me driving directions to the top of a mountain in the Brecon Beacons LOL

Brecon Beacons.jpg

Last edited:
There seems to be a fair bit of interest in this. Although I am VERY keen to attend, someone else will need to take the lead on arrangements. I'm not sure if I've mentioned it before but I generally work 12 hour days and that combined with a toddler and everything I do with A2's means I have very little spare time. I will do everything I can to help but I just can't take the lead.

The road I have suggested runs for about 26 miles but there are an endless amount of driving roads in the Brecon Beacons. Many clubs take part in similar events so there are already pre-planned routes on the net from others who have done the same so we could just follow one of those. There are plenty of pubs/restaurants in the becons and stop offs along the way so I think there are plenty of options available to us.

Last edited:
Depending on when and with permission from the gaffer (wife) I'm in.

Organising this won't take significantly more time than you already spend on here Steve ( no offence). It's all pretty much do-able online with a few nuances like recommending and booking food stops and overnight stays for the people travelling a fair distance. I will gladly help out if i can.

It would be a great honour if we had interest from our mainland European friends so I'm sure this would be a team effort if we can pull it together. Exciting idea!

Last edited:
I'm just not sure what is involved all together in planning a social. I think I can pretty much plan the route myself it would just be the arrangements for people to stay overnight. The one route i've got planned starts at the Nant-Ddu lodge which has 9 other hotels within a 2 mile radius.

Last edited:
I was thinking that the weekend of 29th August may be a suitable date? The weekend in August is a bank holiday so the run could be on a sunday with people having the opportunity to drive down on the saturday and back on the monday.

Also, how long would people like the run to last? I have two options of routes planned one that take 1hr 37 minutes the other takes 2 hrs 31 minutes.

The longer run would obviously be great but i'm not sure if that would be too much driving for those that are coming for the day only and not staying overnight somewhere.

Please let me know what people think on both of the above points.

Last edited:
Right just as an update. I've done a bit of ringing around this morning and with the longer run I had planned we could set off from a hotel called The Nant-Ddu Lodge. I have spoken to them this morning and they are happy for us to set off from their hotel carpark and have space for around 25 cars so I think that would be our limit on numbers I think unless people want to join the run somewhere further down the road. They serve food up until 2.15pm in the afternoon on a sunday but do so later on a saturday depending on which day people would prefer. They have rooms available at present if anyone would like to stay there the night before or after and there are also 9 other hotels within a 2 mile radius.

If we decide to do it on a sunday then we would probably need to leave at around 9-9.30am to do the run and be back in time for people to have food afterwards before the restaurant shuts.

I will do the run using google maps as soon as I can and get an idea of where the good points would be to make a stop off somewhere along the way for some group photos and hopefully a toilet break :)

Please can I ask that people who are definately able to attend say so in this thread and I will ipdate their names to the list in the first post.

Thanks

Steve

Last edited:
Back