Chat A2s in the snow

LordTJC

Had my first snow driving experience in the A2 this morning (first experience full stop actually :) ). I was surprised at what it could get through with just normal tyres. Only had to give up on a steep incline. With winter tyres I expect it would have been pretty much unstoppable!

Tim

CAM04103.jpg

they're pretty good with winter tyres. Not awesome, but pretty good. They slide nicely, too.

You could join us next winter for a real session on the ice and then you can really see what they can do. You'll need winter tyres, but that's about it for the extras ;)

- Bret

376DC83B-A7B9-4674-B3A3-CEFD5234B478.jpeg

Suggestions please on the subject of snow, I’ve got a trip up to Norfolk this weekend for a family members big birthday, and wondered what to take?
The A2 with winter tyres or the TT Quattro with summer tyres, opinions please, good or bad lol
Cheers Jeff

Winters every time. A few years ago I spent 6 weeks in the Alps in the A2 with winter tyres. Drove mostly on packed / fresh snow, had to use the snow socks only twice. 2wd winter tyres trumps 4wd summer tyres every time - if not just for the stopping ability which is frankly astonishing on proper snow.

As already mentioned, winter tyres. My A2 with winter tyres leaves most vehicles behind, struggling for grip. :)

Reactions: AJB
I'd cheat and swap the wheels with winter tyres on to the Quattro and have the best of both worlds

I had an Audi 80 Quattro in the 80's, kept is 3 year and prayed for snow every winter, but never got any, you can guess when happened the year I sold it.
That Quattro system was all manual, operated by vacuum solenoids, but when you locked up the diffs it would go anywhere

My A2 with Nexen winter tyres this morning was able to follow a BMW X up a local hill here after getting past the jam of non winter-tyred commuters who had all stopped for the lights and got stuck. Well impressed with the handling and traction. Critical thing I found was staying under 1500rpm and avoiding the turbo. Even got a bit of handbrake action in the carpark at work.

I’m on cheapest rubbish summer only Tyres (my old Garage replaced all four during a service without asking me if I wanted it done or giving me any choice of type - hence my ‘old’ Garage)

Anyway... cheap, nasty, summer tyres. Pushed the ASR button and quite handily got into town and back then a couple of extra jaunts around during Scotland’s first ever RED snow warning (centred on the Central belt, mostly in Glasgow so far).
People were out of cars pushing left and right, lots of wheelspin and not starting off the line but my little A2 Just carried on. The ASR off was needed on a couple of very loose inclines with traffic lights or stops at the top - I would use it - the system was preventing a start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was over taking bmw X5’s and other 4x4 on small inclines.

Winters tyres ? % Jeff. Quattro / 4x4 yeah you have extra traction but no comparison over winter rubber.

Did any one watch a video Autoexpress made a year or two ago. Basically they went to a indoor snowboarding slope to test a 4x4 with standard tyres and a front wheel drive with winter rubber. Interesting video

Ross

I was over taking bmw X5’s and other 4x4 on small inclines.

Winters tyres ? % Jeff. Quattro / 4x4 yeah you have extra traction but no comparison over winter rubber.

Did any one watch a video Autoexpress made a year or two ago. Basically they went to a indoor snowboarding slope to test a 4x4 with standard tyres and a front wheel drive with winter rubber. Interesting video

Ross
I watched similar years ago and have had spare wheels fitted with winter tyres since 2011. I'm often informed that 'we' don't need winter tyres in this country. My typical response, when did you last need your seat belt?
I had a great day out working today, the roads were quiet and the only time I lost traction was when I wanted to (really must get my handbrake adjusted, it's having a negative impact on my oversteer fun). :)

Back