A3 8l (mark 1) fit gear knob on A3 gator / shaft

cheechy

A2OC Donor
I've been toiling for a while on replacing the gear emblem on my sport gearstick and today it came to a head with the current emblem being "restored" which resulted in a complete destruction rather than restoration :(

So I'm left with either trawling to find a gearstick or emblem which I'll likely not be happy (silver peeling likely) with OR I look at alternatives.

I've managed to find an aftermarket 8l A3 gearstick and gator on ebay that would suit down to the ground but don't know if I'd be able to remove the knob and put directly onto the gator and rod on the A2.

Anyone done this or know if it can be done?

Sorry did try a search on this but the search engine keeps removing ref to 8l or A3 as I'm guessing they are too short?

I've been toiling for a while on replacing the gear emblem on my sport gearstick and today it came to a head with the current emblem being "restored" which resulted in a complete destruction rather than restoration :(

So I'm left with either trawling to find a gearstick or emblem which I'll likely not be happy (silver peeling likely) with OR I look at alternatives.

I've managed to find an aftermarket 8l A3 gearstick and gator on ebay that would suit down to the ground but don't know if I'd be able to remove the knob and put directly onto the gator and rod on the A2.

Anyone done this or know if it can be done?

Sorry did try a search on this but the search engine keeps removing ref to 8l or A3 as I'm guessing they are too short?

Yes, three characters or less seem to get excluded.

BUT there is a trick.

Google (or other search) but start the search with "A2OC" followed by the search term you want to look for. That is a much better way to search this forum.

The cntre emblem on the gearstick is common to several other Audis such as the A3 and TT (early ones) so search ebay for " audi gear knob" or "Audi gear emblem" and I am sure you will find some.

Steve B

Yes, three characters or less seem to get excluded.

BUT there is a trick.

Google (or other search) but start the search with "A2OC" followed by the search term you want to look for. That is a much better way to search this forum.

The cntre emblem on the gearstick is common to several other Audis such as the A3 and TT (early ones) so search ebay for " audi gear knob" or "Audi gear emblem" and I am sure you will find some.

Steve B

I'll try again on ebay search - cheers.

Saying that my search brought up the A3 gear stick which I DO like I have to say :)

Right for info i found this thread using Steve's thread search advice :D

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?31410-Audi-A2-gearknob-replacement-advice

Details on using 8l gear stick - think we have a winner!

Buy it now :)

For info the gear stick I'm buying is here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162781309206

I’m sure you are aware it’s not a genuine Audi one, albeit it still looks nice!
I did mine a couple of years ago with a genuine one and fits looks and feels great, it’s a lovely addition!
Cheers Jeff

Attachments

• EAEB5C87-5D05-4E9A-8293-F79872309E7A.jpeg
    EAEB5C87-5D05-4E9A-8293-F79872309E7A.jpeg
    737.1 KB · Views: 303
I’m sure you are aware it’s not a genuine Audi one, albeit it still looks nice!
I did mine a couple of years ago with a genuine one and fits looks and feels great, it’s a lovely addition!
Cheers Jeff

Yup aware not OEM however OEM doesn't have the nice red detailing that caught my eye - to go with the red seats :)

Check me the fashion mogul :p

Yup aware not OEM however OEM doesn't have the nice red detailing that caught my eye - to go with the red seats :)

Check me the fashion mogul :p
Should look great, the fun part is trimming the gaitor leather to fit the A2 ring and setting it in place, get your swear box ready lol

I have another gator read to go and had it in before it then fell out....which is why I know EXACTLY what you are saying. Getting it to clamp between the rings is the stuff of nightmares.

I thought I could just grab my staple gun to keep the gator in place to I could position the clamp - no way too thick!

I have another gator read to go and had it in before it then fell out....which is why I know EXACTLY what you are saying. Getting it to clamp between the rings is the stuff of nightmares.

I thought I could just grab my staple gun to keep the gator in place to I could position the clamp - no way too thick!
I did actually use my heavy diy staple gun tbh, it worked well placing a block of wood underneath the ring and firing into it then bending the staple points over afterwards, still tedious though lol!

Back