A3/A4 Concert II Head Unit

timmus

A2OC Donor
Hi folks,

I'm aware that the fascia of the A3 and A4 Concert head units are of a different shape and will therefore not fit in an A2, but are the electronics identical?

I have a broken Concert II player from an A2. The fascia is in good condition and the display works perfectly. If I was to buy a Concert II for an A3/A4, could I simply swap the fascias to make a single, A2-compatible, fully-functioning unit?

There are loads of A3/A4 units on eBay that are much cheaper than the A2/A6/TT versions.

Cheers,

Tom

concert/symphony II for A3 will not work in the A4/A2/A6 chassis as the A3 had a proper can gateway and the signalling is different, it won't start up or illuminate or display radio stations if you have a DIS.

I have plenty of A4 concert II units kicking around

Has anyone ever seen a servicing manual for the Concert2? I would imagine the facia should be changeable and expect this could easily be confirmed if a technical manual was available.

Hi guys,

I have an A2 Concert Unit which although is perfectly functional, has considerable wear to several of the buttons. Are the buttons easily individually interchangeable with units from the A4/A6/TT models?

Cheers

Rob.

Awesome, thank you folks. I had suspected as much. I think I will take the plunge, but an A4 unit, and will confirm my success/failure one way or another.

I have an A2 Concert Unit which although is perfectly functional, has considerable wear to several of the buttons. Are the buttons easily individually interchangeable with units from the A4/A6/TT models?

I believe so, Rob... give me a few days and I'll know for sure.
I've transferred the buttons between A2 units many times before, and given that the TT/A6 units have the same fascia, they should be suitable as donors. The A4 fascia looks to use the same buttons, but the fascia itself is marginally different. Watch this space.

Tom

Last edited:
Awesome, thank you folks. I had suspected as much. I think I will take the plunge, but an A4 unit, and will confirm my success/failure one way or another.

I believe so, Rob... give me a few days and I'll know for sure.
I've transferred the buttons between A2 units many times before, and given that the TT/A6 units have the same fascia, they should be suitable as donors. The A4 fascia looks to use the same buttons, but the fascia itself is different. Watch this space.

Tom

Great Tom,

Look forward to the update :)

Cheers

Rob.

Audi A4 Concert II

Well, I decided to take the plunge and buy an A4 Concert II head unit (from a 2006MY) in order to repair an A2 Concert II unit. As predicted, everything went to plan...

This photo shows the two units side by side. As you can see, the A4's fascia is much bigger. However, the buttons and such align perfectly.
IMG_0277.jpg

Seen from the back, it's clear that the underlying electronics are identical.
IMG_0278.jpg

The fascias might be of a different size, but the mounting brackets are also identical.
IMG_0280.jpg

The buttons are also identical, meaning they can be swapped between fascias.
In fact, quite literally the only thing that is different about the two units is this piece:
IMG_0284.jpg

It's worth noting that the A4 unit is coded differently, so anyone planning on doing this must have access to VCDS. It will work if simply plugged into an A2, but the EQ coding will be wrong.

Cheers,

Tom

Well, I decided to take the plunge and buy an A4 Concert II head unit (from a 2006MY) in order to repair an A2 Concert II unit. As predicted, everything went to plan...

This photo shows the two units side by side. As you can see, the A4's fascia is much bigger. However, the buttons and such align perfectly.
View attachment 13094

Seen from the back, it's clear that the underlying electronics are identical.
View attachment 13095

The fascias might be of a different size, but the mounting brackets are also identical.
View attachment 13096

The buttons are also identical, meaning they can be swapped between fascias.
In fact, quite literally the only thing that is different about the two units is this piece:
View attachment 13097

It's worth noting that the A4 unit is coded differently, so anyone planning on doing this must have access to VCDS. It will work if simply plugged into an A2, but the EQ coding will be wrong.

Cheers,

Tom

Good work Tom. I can now somewhat widen my search for a button donor unit :)

Cheers

Rob.

I can now somewhat widen my search for a button donor unit :)

No worries, Rob. I find there are generally many more A4 units for sale on eBay, meaning prices tend to be somewhat more reasonable.
The A4 unit that I bought was in absolutely immaculate condition, so I swapped the buttons into my head unit, even though I was using the electronics to repair a broken A2 unit for another forum member.

Tom

Last edited:
I don't know why you didn't ask me, I have a large collection of A4 concert II units as I stated in my earlier reply.

Picture is a bit blurry, but you can see they are all as new.

Attachments

• concerts.jpg
    concerts.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 615
Hi Craig, not sure how long my Concert II has left so I've been looking at Becker units but... out of interest, how much would you want for one of your A4 units? Also what's the youngest date of manufacture? Planning on replacing a couple of electrical pieces but with new or as close to as possible.
Have you tried the silver dials/knobs in an A2? Could liven up the centre console a bit, hmm.
P.S, love your car, the rear camera is beautifully done! And as a blue colour storm owner, welcome ;)

Loving the silver knobs on the later A4 units
Hmmmm
(Grinding of thought processes)......

J

Back