Fixed - AC only blowing cold air

q292u

United-Kingdom
Following on from my saga with getting the blower motor working (now fixed - mostly due to help on here, and also a bit of luck), the next issue is that it's not blowing hot air.
The car warms up to 90 degrees and stays there, so assuming no thermostat issues.
I've got the car booked in with the mechanic a week on Monday (booked solid/bank holiday) for another couple of issues.
But I'd like to have a stab at fixing this before then.
So, where do I start?
I'm thinking either low coolant or stuck flaps (oo-err missus).

It sounds like classic air control flaps. The hot flap is, probably, stuck shut. Temperature is controlled by mixing hot and cold air only, the heater matrix is always hot, just flow of air through it is controlled, or not, in your case!
If you have VCDS, that'll confirm it. Have a Google, "A2OC heater flaps stuck"
Mac.

Remove glovebox and lowerfront kick panel on the passenger side.
Now you can see the footwell blower held in with what must be the only Philips screw on the car! Remove screw and Wiggle plastic tube out the way.
Contort yourself in a way you thought impossible and you'll see the lower first big cog wheel.
With one long screw driver poke gently and push it while adjusting the temperature button (blind) with system on. Hopefully you'll see it start to move and you're good to go.
Spray everything pointlessly with silicone spray and refit!
Good times.

At least you're not getting the 'boil in the bag' experience like I did. I'm hoping that taking the motor up and down the temp settings several times has eased mine off. Setting climate on 22/23 degs seems to be the culprit for mine sticking. I'm using 21deg for the time being to see how that performs.

Still got the glovebox and kick panel off from fixing the blower motor.
Not sure what you mean by the only Philips screw and plastic tube.
I'll have a go tomorrow if the weather is ok.
BTW I'm not good at contorting, I'm probably the least flexible human alive!

Most of the A2 uses torxs bolts/screws, this footwell air diverter pipe (for heating your feet) seems to eb the only thing ive come across with a crosshead screw on it inside the car.

Its not too bad really youll be fine, also be worth it!

Hello,

The diagrams are most likely for the LHD car. This means that you may find the motors in the diagrams on the passenger footwell side. It is all highly confusing, but they are doing the same job, AFAIK.

Its akin to the upside-down back to front fuse box cover flap diagram.

Heather PG54.JPG
Heater PG55.JPG
Heather PG56.JPG
Heather PG57.JPG
Heather PG58.JPG

:) 👍

Image Credit
SELFSTUDY240.JPG

Just had a thought (it does sometimes happen) : it's not just the footwell that isn't getting warm, none of the vents ever blow warm, even the demister ones..
Am I still barking up the right tree?

Stay there, barking up that tree, as the other tree has the words "head gasket failure" carved into it.:(

When your engine is up to temperature, check the heater hoses where they go into the bulkhead; they ought to be hot.
NOTE:
Before the engine warms up, your car's auxiliary heater produces heat for the cabin. Depending on the year the car was manufactured, there will be one of two variants of this.

A heater fueled by electricity or a Webasto diesel heater. (Depending on the countries climate, the car was sold in)

The temperature flap on the V68 is most likely jammed, check that first.

(Edit: no heat from any of the vents would be a symptom of the V68 temperature flap being closed, not allowing the the warm air to mix into the air flow exiting the cabin vents.)

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure, stay there, as the other tree bears the inscription "head gasket failure" etched on it.:(

When your engine is up to temperature, check the heater hoses where the go into the bulk head they ought to be hot.
NOTE:
Before the engine warms up, your car's auxiliary heater produces heat for the cabin. Depending on the year the car was manufactured, there will be one of two variants of this.

A heater fueled by electricity or a Webasto diesel heater.

It's not a diesel. It's a 1.4 petrol. Do they have an aux heater?

Take the glovebox out and you'll expose the plastic vent air tube for the footwell. It's a philips screw and a bit of a fiddle to tease it past the framework. Once you've got this out you will be able to look behind it and see where the air mixer flap is located (in the central trunking that the footwell flap was connected to. Moving the temp control should see this flap move controlled by a toothed quarter circle driven by a cog. Either reach inside maipulate the flap or tweak the drive cog preferably as you're adjusting the temperature on the HVAC so it is being tasked. Cycling it several times may free it up and be back to normal.

Stay there, barking up that tree, as the other tree bears the inscription "head gasket failure" etched on it.:(

When your engine is up to temperature, check the heater hoses where they go into the bulkhead; they ought to be hot.
NOTE:

A heater fueled by electricity or a Webasto diesel heater. (Depending on the countries climate, the car was sold in)

(Edit: no heat from any of the vents would be a symptom of the V68 temperature flap being closed, not allowing the the warm air to mix into the air flow exiting the cabin vents.)

This stuff on aux heaters, only applies to diesels.
All cars with AC use the hot/cold air mix, so, odds on it's a stuck air control flap.
Mac.

Managed to get the heating working!
I found the legwarmer pipe, it's obvious NOW..
But in the end I didn't need to remove it.. As I was driving today and yesterday, I cycled the heat up and down and eventually realised that hot air WAS coming out of half of the pipe..
It turned out that cold air was blowing out of the cabin filter end. Sorted that out and presto. Heat.
Tried demister mode. Yup. Hot.
Glovebox back in.
Thanks for all the help, guys!

Many thanks to @PlasticMac and @Foghorn and many others!

Back