Advice please--2003 1.6FSI codes- keep it or scrap it

Afternoon all,

Long time lurker looking for some advice please from the group. Think my baby might have finally given up the ghost.
Not very technical so forgive my ignorance. Haven't driven it much of late. Went for a spin last night and when stopped at traffic lights the front left hand side of the engine literally "blew up". Huge cloud of white smoke, sound like a bomb going off followed by smoke and burning smell entering the cabin. Managed to drive it the 800 metres home.
Have just scanned used my own obd device and it's thrown up the following codes-

P0301
P0403
P0191
P1028
P1031

Have just had it taken to local garage who are good and have looked after it since I got it. Waiting for a quote and to see if viable to repair.
Car has been running good generally and is in reasonable condition.
Any thoughts based on above and what I should expect?

Cheers in advance

thermostat or death pipe would be my bet. And then the usual set of problems. How much are you prepared to invest into it?

- Bret

Cheers for quick response. Very good question.. Ballpark guess as to how much it might cost? And how long I'd get out of it? I have no idea how much it might be at the moment, potentially would invest up to a grand if I got another year out of it..

Here's some details from the Ross-Tech website on the above codes to assist in diagnosing the issues:

16685/P0301/000769 - Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected
16787/P0403/001027 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve (N18): Malfunction
16575/P0191/000401 - Fuel Pressure Sensor (G247): Implausible Signal
17426/P1018/004120 - Intake Manifold Runner (Bank 2): Lower Limit not reached
17439/P1031/004145 - Intake Manifold Tuning Valve (N316): Setpoint Not Reached

Seems to be the usual collection of FSI codes here, there's nothing relating to the new issue that has been described.

How did it drive before the recent problem, were there any warning lights on the dash?

Let's see what the garage comes back with, if it is the 'death pipe' as Bret has suggested then this needs the engine to be stripped down to replace, so if you go ahead it's an ideal time to look at fixing most of the other problems. Another consideration is a remapped ECU from @A2Steve which optimises the engine to run without the need for working manifold flaps, so may cut-down on the other work required, here's one of his posts containing further information.

Back