Information Air bag light on UPDATE

Nigel245

A2OC Donor
After fitting my 3 spoke steering wheel yesterday I noticed the air bag light on this morning? It probably was on yesterday but I didn’t drive the car out so missed it on? Is this normal after a s/wheel change that needs resetting? Fitted a new s/wheel air bag loom for the 3 spoke as the 4 spoke wasn’t compatible. ?

Hi nigel. I take it u disconnected battery and waited approx 10 mins before u took old wheel off? Steve

Ok soumds about right. Did you get the correct harness for airbag? I know when i purchased my sline steering wheel i couldn't use airbag/horn harness that came with it so i added in an extra earth cable to my original harness for horn.
Maybe Tom could shed some light on it(excuse the pun) :)

Ok soumds about right. Did you get the correct harness for airbag? I know when i purchased my sline steering wheel i couldn't use airbag/horn harness that came with it so i added in an extra earth cable to my original harness for horn.
Maybe Tom could shed some light on it(excuse the pun) :)
I went to Audi parts Dept in Canterbury and they ordered me one for this 3 spoke wheel and this is the part number SKU: 8Z0 971 589 M according to them for the A2. You mentioned the horn above and I just went to try it and that doesn't work either. This loom which fitted perfectly (correct fitting yellow plug and 2 earth wires) is obviously the wrong one? Looks like I need to re-fit my 4 spoke s/wheel:(

Just checked this P/N online and this is for a Audi TT ?:mad:
158615_x800.jpg

Ask A2steve if he has any 3 spoke wheels and harneses kicking about. Maybe he can get part number off harness, airbag, and wheel so u can compare.

I went to Audi parts Dept in Canterbury and they ordered me one for this 3 spoke wheel and this is the part number SKU: 8Z0 971 589 M according to them for the A2. You mentioned the horn above and I just went to try it and that doesn't work either. This loom which fitted perfectly (correct fitting yellow plug and 2 earth wires) is obviously the wrong one? Looks like I need to re-fit my 4 spoke s/wheel:(

Just checked this P/N online and this is for a Audi TT ?:mad:

Hi,

that's the correct part number for the 3 spoke "sports" steering wheel. It is an A2 model part number, the 8Z start indicates this. This part is however shared with the contemporary A3, A4, A6 and TT which all share the same 3 spoke steering wheel design.

Perhaps there is a problem with the horn contacts in your new wheel?

retards

Andrew

That harness looks familiar. Think one wire goes to earth other goes to horn is there any way u might have got wires wrong? Also the earth wire routes behind the horn plate on steering wheel a bit fiddly.

Hi chaps,

Nigel, apologies that I've not yet replied to your PM, though I see from this thread that the PM is now a little out of date anyway.
I'm currently in the Netherlands. I'll be returning to the UK within the next week. Perhaps upon landing in Dover, you'd like me to pay you a visit?

Cheers,

Tom

That harness looks familiar. Think one wire goes to earth other goes to horn is there any way u might have got wires wrong? Also the earth wire routes behind the horn plate on steering wheel a bit fiddly.
Yes, very fiddly when I was putting it on. Just removed the steering wheel and the two earth wires are different sizes so they only fit on the correct spade connectors. Thanks anyway:)

Hi,

that's the correct part number for the 3 spoke "sports" steering wheel. It is an A2 model part number, the 8Z start indicates this. This part is however shared with the contemporary A3, A4, A6 and TT which all share the same 3 spoke steering wheel design.

Perhaps there is a problem with the horn contacts in your new wheel?

retards

Andrew
Ah, That explains the TT mentioned when I checked the part number online:) I'll check the horn contacts on the wheel later:)

Hi chaps,

Nigel, apologies that I've not yet replied to your PM, though I see from this thread that the PM is now a little out of date anyway.
I'm currently in the Netherlands. I'll be returning to the UK within the next week. Perhaps upon landing in Dover, you'd like me to pay you a visit?

Cheers,

Tom
Hi Tom, Not a problem, I saw you were away. That would have been perfect to have called in but early this Saturday morning I fly off to Italy for a week so I'm gone when you are back:DThank you for the offer though:)
I have just put my 4 spoke back on and horn now works fine but the air bag light is still on with this wheel and air bag now?:rolleyes:
Regards
Nigel

Have you reset the airbag light? Does it not stay on once activated even if the cause is now removed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you reset the airbag light? Does it not stay on once activated even if the cause is now removed?

Sounds most likely but never had a problem before now. Reset with a OBD2 reader? I brought one 6 years ago when I brought my Audi but never used it:rolleyes::D

Mine came on when I unplugged a seat connector because of the airbag. It was because I turned the ignition to 1 to check the time... ?

It needed reset with a scanner to clear.

Mine came on when I unplugged a seat connector because of the airbag. It was because I turned the ignition to 1 to check the time... ?

It needed reset with a scanner to clear.

I don't think this scanner is much good. Anyone familiar with this scanner? :rolleyes:

IMG_1979.jpg

I have one just like that - maybe a 281?

You plug it in. Scan the second option I think - engine was 1 I remember.

Then it comes up with some codes.

Then you scroll to ‘clear’

Job done.

I have one just like that - maybe a 281?

You plug it in. Scan the second option I think - engine was 1 I remember.

Then it comes up with some codes.

Then you scroll to ‘clear’

Job done.

All I get is no codes but air bag light is still on. Oh well a visit to the garage then:D
Thanks for the help:)

Back