Air con/ heater fan

robrace

Switched air con on today! Nothing no fan.put temp on low and auto bars go across then go down again! Everything lights up and appears ok but no fan! Checked fuse?!How easy/ difficult is it to get at fan%?

I would say your blower has at least partially seized. I and many others have had 100% success removing the blower motor, cleaning the fan and bearings, lubricating the bearings and rotating the fan in an electric drill before refitting it into the blower housing.

Difficulty about a 3 awkwardness about an 8. Hardest part is getting the screws out that bolt to 2 halves of the housing together. You need to work through a little hole in the dash support to get to one of the screws plus another quite difficult to reach. All done with the glovebox completely removed. Certainly can be done with few tools and some patience.

Just remember the manual is written for LHD cars so for RHD just flip the image left to right.

If you drop the pollen filter out after completely covering the passenger footwell to catch all the debris, you con look in through the gap and see the "hamsters wheel" fan. Make sure ignition is switched off so no power to fan motor, now using something like a pencil reach in and gently push the wheel round a little. Now try the Climate after you have removed the prodder. If it now spins then its the bearings if still nothing could still be the bearings are just seized or the motor is faulty. Usually if it is the fan speed controller you tend to only get certain speeds. If the bar rises then falls usually it is the bearings from my experience.

Remove the motor assembly to thoroughly clean or to replace the unit.

Last edited:
If the fan is ok, then it's most likely the fan controller, unit J126, 6Q2907521B.

Switched air con on today! Nothing no fan.put temp on low and auto bars go across then go down again! Everything lights up and appears ok but no fan! Checked fuse?!How easy/ difficult is it to get at fan%?

Now back off holiday and thought I would tackle job!Got glovebox out and undone 5 brass coloured screws!around ring of front fan housing But it doesn’t appear to want to come out! Have I missed something?Prising housing forward I can move fan with my finger.I thought I would pull fan feed out and check voltage but without success☹️But am a 76 year old with varifocals,dodgy hip lying on my back.Going off A2’s?

I suspect you have missed the screw that you access by placing the socket through the hole in the crash bar of the dash. Can you give the fan a good flick to rotate a couple of turns? Then try with the ignition on and select high speed on the climate panel. If it now works you could rebuild it as is although I still suggest removing it and cleaning and lubricating the bearings. If it does not spin then just replace the blower unit or have someone do it for you.

If you are sure all screws are out then it is probably the wiring that is holding it in, have you unclipped the loom and the plug?

See post #21 in this very useful thread...

Yes got all 5 screws out.managed top left one with a very long torque screwdriver!appears to not pulling out at top! Going to have another go! If not will leave until tomorrow?

Got it out and checked voltage at connector ?that’s ok will rise and fall as I increase fan speed so going to clean motor and oil bearing tomorrow!thanks fo advice!

When you have done the cleaning and oiling, plug the wiring in and try the fan then. Saves the hassle of refitting it all for the fan not to work. Make sure you hold the housing safely and do not get your fingers anywhere near the "hamsters wheel" when it spins up.

The motor pops out the housing and is only retained in it by three little rubber wedges. To release push the leg of the wedge into the housing then lift the motor out feeding the wiring through the slot. That gives you more access to the rear bearing. When you refit the motor back into the housing make sure it is fully in and the three wedges locate over the step in the housing. Suggest you take a picture of them before you remove. If the motor is not fully down the "hamsters wheel" will rub on the matching housing in the heater box. Remove any build up on the wheel but do not remove the balance weights.

When I clean and oil the motor bearings I spin the end of the hamsters wheel in a drill for a few seconds then apply a bit more cleaner, repeat four or five times reversing the drill direction each time. Then do the same with a LITTLE lubricant. Make sure you do this inside a bin bag to collect all the spray flung off.

Glad to report that it is working again!problem with getting out was I read that there was 5 screws holding fan housing in!Mine has 6!,only saw the 6th at last minute!bit of a pig of a job as you need to be a bit of a contortionist!My motor has 4 rubber mounting blocks! Which I put a bit of silicone on and pushed motor back making sure lugs came back through housing.Went out for enjoyable drive earlier!Its supposed to be my wife’s car?

Glad you now have it working again. Did think you had missed a screw. Yep there are indeed 4 rubber wedges, brain fade there on my part.

When you have done the cleaning and oiling, plug the wiring in and try the fan then. Saves the hassle of refitting it all for the fan not to work. Make sure you hold the housing safely and do not get your fingers anywhere near the "hamsters wheel" when it spins up.

The motor pops out the housing and is only retained in it by three little rubber wedges. To release push the leg of the wedge into the housing then lift the motor out feeding the wiring through the slot. That gives you more access to the rear bearing. When you refit the motor back into the housing make sure it is fully in and the three wedges locate over the step in the housing. Suggest you take a picture of them before you remove. If the motor is not fully down the "hamsters wheel" will rub on the matching housing in the heater box. Remove any build up on the wheel but do not remove the balance weights.

When I clean and oil the motor bearings I spin the end of the hamsters wheel in a drill for a few seconds then apply a bit more cleaner, repeat four or five times reversing the drill direction each time. Then do the same with a LITTLE lubricant. Make sure you do this inside a bin bag to collect all the spray flung off.
Hi Audifan
I`m doing this job now in the process of getting the fan out can ask is it ok to use dw40 to clean and lube the bearings or should i be using some thing else?

WD40 is fine to clean and lubricate the bearings due to the ability to get it where it is needed with the applicator straw. A silicon or graphite based lubricant would be better once clean but harder to find with an applicator straw. Make sure you also do the lower bearing. To get to this one the motor has to be taken out the housing. You will find 4 little rubber wedges that need to be pressed in to release the motor. When you reassemble it make sure the wedges are locked over the housing or the hamsters wheel will catch in the other half of the housing.

WD40 is fine to clean and lubricate the bearings due to the ability to get it where it is needed with the applicator straw. A silicon or graphite based lubricant would be better once clean but harder to find with an applicator straw. Make sure you also do the lower bearing. To get to this one the motor has to be taken out the housing. You will find 4 little rubber wedges that need to be pressed in to release the motor. When you reassemble it make sure the wedges are locked over the housing or the hamsters wheel will catch in the other half of the housing.
Hi again

Right after many attempts I finally got the blower fan out (right hand top screw was a real pain).

I took the hamster wheel out of the plastic housing and cleaned the grot from between the blades, when you say lube the bearings? where are the bearings? is the bearing the centre core of the hamster wheel which goes through the motor?

The fan is now running again so thank you for the advice I just need to know where exactly the bearings are so i can lube them before re installing into the dash.

Cheers
Andy

Yes the bearings are on that axle. Be carefull that any little balance weights attached to the wheel are not removed. If they are the fan will vibrate in use.

Yes the bearings are on that axle. Be carefull that any little balance weights attached to the wheel are not removed. If they are the fan will vibrate in use.
Thats great thanks I also managed to take my faulty glove box apart and fix so hopefully both are now sorted. thank you again Audifan

Fan has packed up again,☹️Do I get it out again or buy a new one?Which one ?prices appear to be from about £40 to £125☹️

Back