Aircon leak

treeroy

Hi, I have a leak in my AC. Before i go mad with the UV dye, are there any common failing points / pipes in the 1.4 TDI?

Hi, I have a leak in my AC. Before i go mad with the UV dye, are there any common failing points / pipes in the 1.4 TDI?

I used this on one of my cars works really well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look for traces of oil. It will almost certainly be the condenser that is the cause. I would be wary of using the above sealant; it will likely block the condenser!

RAB

Look for traces of oil. It will almost certainly be the condenser that is the cause. I would be wary of using the above sealant; it will likely block the condenser!

RAB
Hi @RAB - I have the same issue as per my post on it today and I too suspect my condenser. Can you explain where to look for traces of oil? What would cause this?

Hi @RAB - I have the same issue as per my post on it today and I too suspect my condenser. Can you explain where to look for traces of oil? What would cause this?
The oil from the system would leak out of any hole in the condenser. It might be difficult to see though. If you replace the condenser, replace the dryer at the same time. The condenser is the most lightly built component in the system and also has the highest surface area.

RAB

RAB
Thanks but it is definitely the gas that has a leak. My AC was not working when i got the car in December. I regassed it 2 weeks ago, found it had 0 gas so filled it up, it was then working brilliantly and blowing nice and cold. Left the car for a week and came back to find AC not working again. So i'm certain it's a leak, just wondered if there were any pipes that tend to fail.

Yes, the leak will almost certainly be in the condenser, as above. Replace it, along with the dryer.

RAB

Yes, the leak will almost certainly be in the condenser, as above. Replace it, along with the dryer.

RAB
Oh OK thought you were saying about an oil leak.

Looks like A2 condensers are £100 or so https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...57.m570.l1313&_nkw=audi+a2+condenser&_sacat=0
so in that case I'm just gonna keep the windows down :D unless i can find cheaper elsewhere. If they are prone to failing then a used one is probably a bad idea.

I didn't see any oil leak when I inspected the car when I serviced it recently, but I'll have another look. The only oil leak I could find on the car is from the turbo:cool:

If you have a gas leak you will also have an oil leak at the same location.. It's not certain that it is the condenser but without looking, I would put my money on that. It's also possible that the pressure sensor has failed and you have no leak. You can change the sensor without re-filling with refrigerant. You would need to get someone (mobile A/C) to check the pressure with a gauge first. Given the hostory though, it's probably a leak.

RAB

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh OK thought you were saying about an oil leak.

Looks like A2 condensers are £100 or so https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...57.m570.l1313&_nkw=audi+a2+condenser&_sacat=0
so in that case I'm just gonna keep the windows down :D unless i can find cheaper elsewhere. If they are prone to failing then a used one is probably a bad idea.

I didn't see any oil leak when I inspected the car when I serviced it recently, but I'll have another look. The only oil leak I could find on the car is from the turbo:cool:
Just to clarify what Rab was saying - the refrigerant content of the a/c circuit comprises both gas *and* some oil. Although the refrigerant gas may have escaped through a hole in the system, some of the oil will still be in there and some of this may also have been lost through the hole that the gas has escaped through in near-entirety, hence visible oily marks where the hole is if you are lucky.

If you have a gas leak you will also have an oil leak at the same location.. It's not certain that it is the condenser but without looking, I would put my money on that. It's also possible that the pressure sensor has failed and you have no leak. You can change the sensor without re-filling with refrigerant. You would need to get someone (mobile A/C) to check the pressure with a gauge first. Given the hostory though, it's probably a leak.

RAB
When I finished re-gassing it, the AC machine showed both low pressure and high pressure lines were fine 🤔 don't remember what exact bar they were at but it was in the normal range.

It's what it is now that matters. Probably zero now but maybe not!

RAB

These are the part nunbers for the condensor from different manufacturers.
Source: https://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/audi+a2/a2/2003-248/2/260-260041/#1

But please do your own checks

Condenser, air conditioning003-016-0017LORO
Condenser, air conditioning0810.3096FRIGAIR
Condenser, air conditioning169691AUTO AIR GLOUCESTER
Condenser, air conditioning350203375000MAGNETI MARELLI
Condenser, air conditioning35362NRF
Condenser, air conditioning482005NAKS DASIS
Condenser, air conditioning501006ALANKO
Condenser, air conditioning701M18JDEUS
Condenser, air conditioning817570VALEO
Condenser, air conditioning8880400322WAECO
Condenser, air conditioning8FC351038551HELLA
Condenser, air conditioning8FC351038551BEHR HELLA SERVICE
Condenser, air conditioning8Z00260403BAUDI
Condenser, air conditioning8Z00260403CAUDI
Condenser, air conditioning8Z00260403DAUDI
Condenser, air conditioning8Z0260403BAUDI
Condenser, air conditioning8Z0260403CAUDI
Condenser, air conditioning8Z0260403CVW
Condenser, air conditioning8Z0260403DAUDI
Condenser, air conditioning8Z0260403DVW
Condenser, air conditioning8Z0260403FAUDI
Condenser, air conditioning8Z0260403FVW
Condenser, air conditioning8Z08219030AUDI
Condenser, air conditioning945012KAGER
Condenser, air conditioning94584NISSENS
Condenser, air conditioningAI5193AVA QUALITY COOLING
Condenser, air conditioningCO0269EQUAL QUALITY
Condenser, air conditioningDCN02009DENSO
Condenser, air conditioningQCN193QUINTON HAZELL
Condenser, air conditioningQCN220DQUINTON HAZELL
Condenser, air conditioningTSP0225407DELPHI

What is the difference between a condenser and a dryer? I see the cheapest dryer on ebay is a Hella, part number 8FC351038551. The cheapest "evaporator" / condenser on eBay is a Nissens, part number 92234

HERE is the 7zap page on the AC system - Part 20 is the condenser - but I don't see a dryer? I am confused!

1655397566560.png

This is the diagram you need to reference.
Item 1 is the condenser
Item 11 is the drier.

The condensor is the aircon's radiator
The drier removes moisture.
Where is that located on 7zap? I looked for ages and could not find a diagram of the complete air con system!

One of my "Primary school Dads' support group" drinking buddies from the village has just taken over a garage in Chard from an old boy who retired in the past few weeks - He came and picked the car up from my house this evening and will be taking it in for a fill with UV dye - I've told him I suspect the condensor or evaporator due to the relatively recent compressor. I should know the prognosis tomorrow.

What is the difference between a condenser and a dryer? I see the cheapest dryer on ebay is a Hella, part number 8FC351038551. The cheapest "evaporator" / condenser on eBay is a Nissens, part number 92234

HERE is the 7zap page on the AC system - Part 20 is the condenser - but I don't see a dryer? I am confused!

View attachment 95681
Condensor is like a radiator at the front of the car, it condenses the gas by cooling it rapidly I think, aiding compression. The dry or accumulator collects any moisture and holds it away from system. It's a tube like thing behind nearside light on the chassis leg. Basically a flask hanging down to catch moisture like a bottle trap..

Back