Akoya Silver post winter scrub up

Dal

A2OC Donor
After the snow, ice and general grubby roads have now hopefully gone, I gave the little A2 a wash this weekend.

Started by snow foaming the crud to soften it up, then pressure washed it off. Then a 2 bucket wash with G3 detox shampoo to get as much previous wax etc off. Next was some Iron-X and then Tardis rinsed off each time before a G3 clay mitt applied. This was my first time using it and I must say it's a revolation compared to regular clay. It's just so easy to use and you can hear it coming off and then silky smooth. You lubricate it with the shampoo so the thick and slippery detox was perfect. I'd say it's about the same as a medium / fine clay - well of the Bilt Hamber clays I usually use.

After drying I started with a medium Menzerna pad and some Menzerna Power Finish PO85 RD3.02 to see what cut I needed. This turned out to get rid of about 90% of defects is one pass! I followed this up with Poorboys Black hole as I find it's slight filler qualities for that last 10% along with it's great shine make it a great all rounder. That was then topped off with some Autoglym HD wax which is about an easy wax to use as is possible and leaves a great finish.

The blacks were finished with Auto finesse Revive (ran out of GTechniq C4 trim restorer), the glass cleaned with good old white vinegar and finished with Clearkote Vanilla Moose Wax Hand Glaze of all things as I find it created a great weather proof surface without smearing.

Tyres were dressed with Meguirs tyre endurance gel : allowed to dry and then buffed so as to not be too shiny.

Then I hoovered it out (t'was manky!) gave the matts a bit of a scrub with some APC and allowed to dry. The interior plastics were then washed with a weak APC soloution and then dressed with Poorboys Natural look for a non silicone and matt finish.

Enough waffle, more pictured:

Before:

16742676312_60fd1160d0_c.jpg

16556340020_4a06e82b57_c.jpg

16556340250_6c0c6880b4_c.jpg

During:
After 15 minutes of snow foam:
16132259904_c808550cf9_c.jpg

Last edited:
Cont..

Finished

16742556971_60c8ac39ed_c.jpg

16123791783_e7ed47f5b0_c.jpg

16742670182_e210f01f02_c.jpg

Other half washed her TT too so a pair of clean Audis:
16556337470_0f376bd171_c.jpg

16557624149_84de2b78a8_c.jpg

Then it rained... but the beads were good:
16134720003_083a717196_c.jpg

(Cars shuffled about a bit as O/H wanted to get her TT back in the garage..lol)

Last edited:
Good job, mines due a pamper, but holding off for a bit, summer wheels back on too soon, wifes bought a hand held steam cleaner so going to tackle headlining and interior trims.

Stretched TT looks good, try viewing looking at interior mirror through rear screen, car manufactures could learn a lot using this perspective, seen some lovely styled cars behind me over the past 12 months.

Reactions: Dal
Isn't it great that with a little TLC these cars look like new.

That is a great job you have done on a great little A2.

Steve B

Thats a cracking job, car looks lovely. Gave mine a clean up this weekend as well and put the summer wheels back on. Just been looking at it through the window in disbelief that its an 11 year old car....so ahead of its time.

Thanks for all the kind comments :) Now it has clean paintwork, regular washed will be far easier.

It's amazing how much the whole car looks better when you get the bottom plastics back to black again. ;)

Nice job. Try Collenite 476 wax next time. This goes on great after you've machine polished with Menzerna. You could also try 1001 upholstery shampoo and Polti steam cleaner for interior. Protect once dry with 3M Scotchgard.

I'm nearly finished my pot of 476! A great wax for longevity but I find it does dull metallic flake a bit; AG HD wax is much better for flake pop and nearly as durable. :)

I did think about finishing with poorboys ex-p as that sealant really does let the flake pop.

I'll give the inside a proper wet vac when the weather warms up ;)

Last edited:
Great write up and don't they look fantastic after a good going over?
I got on well with the clay mitt too, so much quicker than a clay bar, although it doesn't get into tight areas so Ill still use a bar. Looking at getting a machine polisher in the next couple of months hopefully!

Oh, also loving the TT, these are aging so well like the A2 and I desperately want one, fingers crossed in the near future. Although I don't really need 3 cars, but its not really about needing is it? ;)

A machine polisher is well worth the investment as they can really make the paint shine when its free from swirls and holograms :)

Love to see them so clean!
I wish mine could stay clean and shiny for more than 10 minutes!
It took me a day to clean only the engine rooms on 2 cars.
And I want a TT too :)

Cheers,
D

I love the football pitch striping on your mats.

Small details like that tell me you look after your cars.

From now on I'll be doing this :D

Last edited:
It is a bit OCD, but I like the little details like that.. ;)

(If I'm feeling adventurous I do a herringbone pattern..lol)

Back