Alternative to A2

JavaGreen

Scotland
So, looking for owners of the Polo TDI (90) or the Audi A1 TDI

I will have £10k for another motor In September, as my son will get my 1.6 fizzy as a gift to start his driving experience.

So, I am becoming well versed with the A2.. could very well purchase another and have three in the family or purchase a more modern Polo or A1. Why? Less troublesome than the fizzy and I could not help but notice that the cars mentioned can (if driven sensibly) achieve 70+ mpg… which is handy for my 80 mile round trip although, not a essential decider. But they appear to be quick motors. If you happen to have any of the above, would be grateful for your thoughts.

The Saab will go later in the year and be replaced by a TT Roadster…. so could end up with 4 Audi’s on the drive😳

How about a nice 90 Tdi Sport, £10k would certainly buy it
0c8e6cdaec534c718b1cfb48c6e9bb4f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

I've driven an audi a1 several time but in the 1.4 150bhp tfsi. Very nice solid drive very lively like the a2. Can feel the lineage. They are small feeling though, weirdly ironic as it sounds! Also the plastics and carpet etc feel less weighty. Ride was bit harsh typical audi sport. I would image a lower spec 1.6 tdi would be a very frugal cruiser. I'm 6ft 3 sonwoukd go a3 as only a little bit bigger but feel better inside for space and engine bay work. The polo's I've experience feel very basic unless going gti level and the seats are thin compared to audi. Probably doesn't help much! 😆

Well being a LONG term Audi owner and having either driven or owned most of their models over the years i may be a touch biased. Loved all the A4s disliked all the A3s but am now on number 3 and number 4 A1. Hers is a previous model A1 and mine the latest. We both love them.
WP_20190303_13_42_22_Pro2.jpg

My last one and now my current one..

20220407_163727.jpg

Last edited:
How about a nice 90 Tdi Sport, £10k would certainly buy it
0c8e6cdaec534c718b1cfb48c6e9bb4f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
A really classy A2👍
£10k would be reserved for a newer A1/Polo. Doubt I would spend anything like that amount on the A2. I have 2 already and do not feel that they reach that kind of figure. So thanks for the offer👍

A really classy A2👍
£10k would be reserved for a newer A1/Polo. Doubt I would spend anything like that amount on the A2. I have 2 already and do not feel that they reach that kind of figure. So thanks for the offer👍
I wasn't being serious about the £10k price tag 😂

I wasn't being serious about the £10k price tag 😂
With 160k on the clock that is a relief 😳

However, is the following not insane….

With 197 BHP, the turbocharged 1.5 Litre 12v Inline 3 petrol engine accelerates this Fiesta ST to 62 mph in 6.5 seconds and on to a maximum speed of 144 mph. Having a kerb weight of 1262 kg, it achieves 47.1 mpg on average and can travel 435 miles before requiring a refill of its 42 litre capacity fuel tank.

No wonder they pass my fizzy (when it’s doing 70😳) as if I was in 1st gear😱

My son has a 2016 Polo in all respects it is better than my A2 except for one feature. It handles better stops better, is more ridged, its better specified, the seats are better and the interior materials are better. Spares, not that it needs many, are readily available.
The only issue with the Polo is the A2s strength, it is not made of aluminium.

I have to say I’ve been in that shape Polo and while it’s obviously better in many areas, there are still a few where the A2 holds it’s own - namely the amount of interior space and the carrying capacity.

It’s also much better value for money if you get one that’s been looked after.

Mine is also an appreciably better example than most because of the upgrades it has; which makes it feel 10 years newer than it is - so I guess I’m biased (further).

No it is a 1lt petrol, I'm sure my comments would also apply to a TDi. I think a TDi would be a better car than my

BMW i3 is a good suggestion. They are (or will be) sought after classics. From their build quality and carbon frame chassis I suspect that, similar to Audi, that BMW didn't make a profit on them. It is a shame the entry prices are steep.
I agree that the i3 is one of the few cars that is as interesting as an A2. Prices seem to start around £15k, assuming one can find one locally. They all seem to be for sale in and around London, which is perhaps to be expected. Only real criticism from owners is that the rear doors are fiddly to use when parked next to another vehicle. Shame Audi haven't seen fit to make a similar vehicle (yet). The modern trend for SUV type vehicles has probably seen the death of many an "interesting" car before getting off the design sheet.

I would not really agree with that. I think for example Renault is better on the rust side...
I had a problem with my 2010 Superb that got rust on the rear wheel arches and now I have a problem with the bottom forward part of rear left doors on my Octavia 2015. Both cars are white. I mean I just can't understand that... Also Skoda Yeti's had a big, big problem with rust on the bottom part of the doors. Crazy in 21st century.
Here you can see the rust and I have talked also about the rust on my Superb (the link is with the timestamp to the rust section):

Everyone to their own I guess….. I have owned since 2000

Golf x 7 (all for wife)
Tiguan x 1
Allroad x 1
A4 x 2
Discovery x 1
Boxster x 1
Volvo xc70
Mercedes A class
Mercedes E class
Mercedes SLK
Audi A2 x 2
Saab convertible

….. and I am sure I have left a couple out….
I do not smoke…. hardly drink….. do not have loose women😳 😂😂😂 but my crime is too many motors….. out of all of the above (had a couple of Renault in the 90s) the VAG cars had the better lasting bodywork….. and, if I could choose one car out of all of the above for use ability, reliability, it would have to be the Golf 4x4 from 2006, it was a cracker👍

Back