AMF 75BHP Remap

depronman

A2OC Donor
I did my own remap, based on information that I got from several A2OC members.
I used some free software called VAG EDC15P+ Suite (which is excellent and free) and WinOLS test version (which is free to use)

I spend quite some time understand the standard maps on the TDI that Audi provided, I also obtained from a fellow A2OC member a later version of Audi's standard map. It appears that Audi used two different software versions through the life of the A2's TDI 75BHP engine and whilst they are similar there are slight differences

Once I got my head around the maps I did a comparison between the standard maps and some remapped files that I obtained from fellow A2OC members. From this I was able to establish the maps that are changed when a remap is done.
I have taken an average of the values changed on the numerous remapped files that I have, and have made adjustments to my original map using these average values. I have gone on the conservative side with the changed map values, so will not have got the maximum remap benefits, but then again my total cost for my remap is the £10 I paid for the mpps cable needed to read from / write to the ECU

I am very happy with the results even though I don't know the 'actual' numbers being output by the 3 potter.
VAGSuite as a predictor in it, run against the original Audi map it stated 82bhp, with 224Lbft which is around 9% higher (BHP) than it should be (so accepting this 9% error)
Run against my modified map it predicts 117bhp with 287Lbft so applying the same 9% error (BHP) this is more likely to be 107bhp
The predictors torque numbers are some what higher on the Audi original and also on the remap, it appears to be out by a ratio of 1.55 times, so applying this to the predicted figures it is really 184Lbft which is a very nice increase, moreover the torque curve is much flatter and wider than the original leading to an easier driving experience.
The engine also revs more freely and pulls well to near 4000rpm, where as before it was dropping off after 3500rpm, but being honest there is so much torque now available there is no point or need to rev past 3000rpm

Fuel economy as not been a made any worse and may indeed be slightly better, I am getting a regular 63 to 65 MPG tank to tank, some longish motorway trips in this at around 75mph average and commuting to work 8 miles each way, I don't thrash it everywhere, but equally I'm driving like miss daisy either

All in all I am very happy with my remapping efforts, the A2 is much more pleasant to drive and overtaking is not effortless and it will certainly raise the odd eyebrow of the sportier cars when this 15 year old A2 doesn't disappear from there rear view mirror :)
I am 1800 miles so far on the remap and no problems so far

I'm not saying that this is as good as a custom map on a rolling road, because quite simply it isn't, but then again it didn't cost me £300+, I'm sure there is a place for both.

I would like peoples opinion on the EGR - at the moment I have left it operational, but I have the option to map it out. None of the remap files that I got had it mapped out, which is some what interesting because everything you look at regarding remapping seems to suggest that the EGR is removed

Should anyone on here want to follow in my footsteps then drop me a PM

Cheers

spike

On early TDis the EGR can be blanked off or just disconnected without causing triggering any fault codes so there is no real requirement to map it out. The EGR however is integrated with the anti shudder valve so it's not advisable to remove it as the engine feels like it's shaking itself to bits when switched off.

Later models have an 'electronic' EGR valve. One advantage of this design is the anti shudder valve is a separate part, allowing the EGR valve to be removed completely and replaced by a smooth bore tube. This however will trigger fault codes, so it's normal practice to map it out.

Very innovative mod by the way

Cheers Spike

johnyfartbox

A2OC Donor
Wow.......Just reading that gave me a headache.....hats off to you fella, very impressed indeed :) :) .
Im certain there is room for both and I would be very interested in you having a go at my standard A2 05 plate. I have had the silver one done (55 plate) at stealth and have never looked back. Im sure I was told that it is now punching out about 115bhp, I made the mistake of not asking for the data sheet when it was done, not even sure if they would have given it to me to be honest......

Last edited:

depronman

A2OC Donor
Wow.......Just reading that gave me a headache.....hats off to you fella, very impressed indeed :) :) .
Im certain there is room for both and I would be very interested in you having a go at my standard A2 05 plate. I have had the silver one done (55 plate) at stealth and have never looked back. Im sure I was told that it is now punching out about 115bhp, I made the mistake of not asking for the data sheet when it was done, not even sure if they would have given it to me to be honest......
is your 05 plate a 75bhp TDI (as against the 90TDI) assuming that its the 75bhp then I see no reason why the map that I have will not go directly onto your car, you are not to far from me so I'm sure that we can arrange something

cheers,

depronman

A2OC Donor
On early TDis the EGR can be blanked off or just disconnected without causing triggering any fault codes so there is no real requirement to map it out. The EGR however is integrated with the anti shudder valve so it's not advisable to remove it as the engine feels like it's shaking itself to bits when switched off.

Later models have an 'electronic' EGR valve. One advantage of this design is the anti shudder valve is a separate part, allowing the EGR valve to be removed completely and replaced by a smooth bore tube. This however will trigger fault codes, so it's normal practice to map it out.

Very innovative mod by the way

Cheers Spike
Hi Spike, thanks for the reply,
I may be mistaken, but I thought it was the 90bhp TDI that had the integrated EGR and anti shudder valve (I may be remembering it wrong though)

I mapped out the EGR on my 2001 MY TDI before I did the full remap (kind of dipping my toe in the water) and it had no problems with with either the MIL light or shudder on engine turn off. However I'm not sure if it ran any better with it mapped out and there was little to no difference
VAGCOM confirmed that it was indeed mapped out as the duty cycle was zero

cheers,

JIGSAW

Banned
Ive a few maps ive been testing with various results, i could send you my original map which has the EGR mapped out, i come to realise its more of a fuel economy map rather than all out horses.. Ive been comparing all the maps in VAG SUITE and found some are totally different and there so complex due to all the layers but more so when ive tested the maps out on the road as you can feel how different they are

depronman

A2OC Donor
Ive a few maps ive been testing with various results, i could send you my original map which has the EGR mapped out, i come to realise its more of a fuel economy map rather than all out horses.. Ive been comparing all the maps in VAG SUITE and found some are totally different and there so complex due to all the layers but more so when ive tested the maps out on the road as you can feel how different they are
Yes please send the maps, more the merrier as the saying goes. I think I have my head around how the make structure works and what affect what so to speak I will PM you my email address
Cheers,

spike

Hi Spike, thanks for the reply,
I may be mistaken, but I thought it was the 90bhp TDI that had the integrated EGR and anti shudder valve (I may be remembering it wrong though)

I mapped out the EGR on my 2001 MY TDI before I did the full remap (kind of dipping my toe in the water) and it had no problems with with either the MIL light or shudder on engine turn off. However I'm not sure if it ran any better with it mapped out and there was little to no difference
VAGCOM confirmed that it was indeed mapped out as the duty cycle was zero

cheers,
Hi Paul, I'm sure the combined EGR / anti shudder valve on AMF engines was dropped with the introduction of the ATL and BHC Euro4 engine models.
I disconnected the EGR valve on my AMF engine early in it's life and found no perceivable improvement in performance or economy. Long term it should prevent the build up of oily carbon deposits in the intake manifold.

Cheers Spike

hmsgenoa

Hi there Guys, I have finally got an A2 1.4 tdi, january 2002 75bhp. I have to say a little disappointed in the economy! I say this because I could have bought a Fabia VRS and reckon could have got similar economy....i dont think a 60mpg average quite cuts it! So i am very interested in a remap.....especially one that doesnt set me back an arm and a leg!....I bought the car as going through a divorce! Any help direction about how id go about this would be greatly appreciated. My time is split between Ditchling nr Brighton, West London and the Isle of Wight. Please can you advise what hardware i need to buy to do this where I can find the maps? Cheers Ian

Gonzo

A2OC Donor
Hi there Guys, I have finally got an A2 1.4 tdi, january 2002 75bhp. I have to say a little disappointed in the economy! I say this because I could have bought a Fabia VRS and reckon could have got similar economy....i dont think a 60mpg average quite cuts it! So i am very interested in a remap.....especially one that doesnt set me back an arm and a leg!....I bought the car as going through a divorce! Any help direction about how id go about this would be greatly appreciated. My time is split between Ditchling nr Brighton, West London and the Isle of Wight. Please can you advise what hardware i need to buy to do this where I can find the maps? Cheers Ian
Welcome to the forum!

Exactly the same age and model as my car. Tell us more!

hmsgenoa

Hi Gonzo, thank you for a qarm welcome! Mine is Dolphin Grey, has the 6 spoke alloys not the polished ones, clean outside and in , few age related marks. Suspension at front seems a bit loose think bishings might be required, damping seems a bit poor even when taking it easy over a sleeping policeman. Typically worn stereo and heater buttons. Seems a bit low rent after a bmw compact, but learning to like it. Although 'only getting 60mpg' plus side today was i caned it a bit and it only dropped to 59.5! It wants a service.Id like to put cruise on it and try a remap.

Have you made any alterations to yours Gonzo?

I had a look at the mops cable on ebay and would like to try Depronmans map if he is watching! ;)

Cheers Ian

timmus

A2OC Donor
I did my own remap, based on information that I got from several A2OC members...
It appears that Audi used two different software versions through the life of the A2's TDI 75BHP engine and whilst they are similar there are slight differences.
Later models have an 'electronic' EGR valve.
is your 05 plate a 75bhp TDI (as against the 90TDI) assuming that its the 75bhp then I see no reason why the map that I have will not go directly onto your car, you are not too far from me so I'm sure that we can arrange something.
I may be mistaken, but I thought it was the 90bhp TDI that had the integrated EGR and anti shudder valve (I may be remembering it wrong though.
Hi Paul, I'm sure the combined EGR / anti shudder valve on AMF engines was dropped with the introduction of the ATL and BHC Euro4 engine models.
Hi folks,

First of all, big congratulations to Paul for the trailblazing. I've not heard of anyone doing 'home remaps' within this community before, so hats off to you, sir!

A few words of caution regarding the quotes above...

The two different software versions you've found are probably for two different engines. Audi did indeed update the software for the TDI75 when they updated various engine components. The early TDI75 has engine code AMF and the later TDI75 has engine code BHC. Whilst there are some differences that won't be greatly affected by the map (such as the change in exhaust manifold design), there are other differences that probably will. The BHC's turbo wastegate and EGR valve are controlled by a single, integrated box of tricks (containing vacuum lines, pressure lines and electronics). The anti-shudder valve is controlled electrically directly by the engine management unit. The AMF engine has no such integrated box of tricks but instead has various individual valves for controlling each function. The anti-shudder valve is instead controlled by vacuum, though the valve that operates the vacuum is in turn controlled by an electronic signal from the engine management unit.

It could be that the engine management unit's electronic outputs (and their calibration) is the same irrespective of how the wastegate, EGR and ASV are operated, but I'm doubtful and would be wary of loading a BHC map into the management unit of an AMF engine and vice versa. If you are planning on distributing maps via email, I'd suggest you create one that's based on an AMF map and one that's based on a BHC map, unless, of course, you're able to fully test the maps for cross-compatibility.

Again, very well done. :)

Tom

As an aside, just to clarify the few differences mentioned between the 3 types of 1.4 TDI: The AMF engine has an integrated EGR and ASV (anti-shudder valve). Both are vacuum operated. The BHC engine and ATL engine (TDI90) have the EGR and ASV separated into two components. The EGR remains vacuum operated but the ASV is controlled by an electric motor rather than a vacuum actuator. More here: http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?24906-Intake-manifold-flap-V157&p=248305#post248305

Last edited:

depronman

A2OC Donor
Hi folks,

First of all, big congratulations to Paul for the trailblazing. I've not heard of anyone doing 'home remaps' within this community before, so hats off to you, sir!

A few words of caution regarding the quotes above...

The two different software versions you've found are for two different engines. Audi did indeed update the software for the TDI75 when they updated various engine components. The early TDI75 has engine code AMF and the later TDI75 has engine code BHC. Whilst there are some differences that won't be greatly affected by the map (such as the change in exhaust manifold design), there are other differences that probably will. The BHC's turbo wastegate and EGR valve are controlled by a single, integrated box of tricks (containing vacuum lines, pressure lines and electronics). The anti-shudder valve is controlled electrically directly by the engine management unit. The AMF engine has no such integrated box of tricks but instead has various individual valves for controlling each function. The anti-shudder valve is instead controlled by vacuum, though the valve that operates the vacuum is in turn controlled by an electronic signal from the engine management unit.

It could be that the engine management unit's electronic outputs (and their calibration) is the same irrespective of how the wastegate, EGR and ASV are operated, but I'm doubtful and would be wary of loading a BHC map into the management unit of an AMF engine and vice versa. If you are planning on distributing maps via email, I'd suggest you create one that's based on an AMF map and one that's based on a BHC map, unless, of course, you're able to fully test the maps for cross-compatibility.

Again, very well done. :)

Tom

As an aside, just to clarify the few differences mentioned between the 3 types of 1.4 TDI: The AMF engine has an integrated EGR and ASV (anti-shudder valve). Both are vacuum operated. The BHC engine and ATL engine (TDI90) have the EGR and ASV separated into two components. The EGR remains vacuum operated but the ASV is controlled by an electronic motor rather than a vacuum actuator. More here: http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?24906-Intake-manifold-flap-V157&p=248305#post248305
Hi Tom
Great that you are back on the forum, I assume that work commitments are calming down a little !!!

I read the original map from a 2001 MY TDI75 AML engine (my own car) software code SG1281
I also read the original map from a 2002 MY TDI75 AML engine (a friends car) software code SG1514

Both the above are confirmed as AML engines and a visual look see at the valves and vacuum pipes on the bulkhead they are the same.
The maps that I based my tune on are all related to the SG1514 software, and not wanting to risk bricking my ECU by writing the SG1514 file to it I modified my my SG1281 file such that the 8 maps that are changed in the 'tuned files' where averaged, and then the updates made to my original SG1281 file - which is the file that I written back to my 2001 MY A2

I am still looking for tuned files for the later 75 engine BHC - once I get a selection I will do a compare and average and then be able to offer a BHC tuned file
I would also do the same for the 90 ATL engine if I can get a suitable selection of tuned maps

Cheers,

hmsgenoa

Thank you Timmus for the heads up, my car is on the other side of the Solent right now, so cannot ceck which 75bhp engine it is, but will be sure to now before trying any alteration! It is registered January 2002, not sure if that would give any indication? For bmws there is a 'realoem' website on which you can pin down exactly the right components for a car depending on year/month of manufacturer. Are you aware of any similar resource for VAG group cars? Regards Ian

hmsgenoa

Thank you Paul and Tim for being being so thorough. If this works you will have saved me between £300 and £400 and ill owe you both a beer!

Howdy Ay 2

A2OC Donor
Very interested in this thread especially regarding different variations of the 1.4 TDI engines fitted to the A2.

On the V5 Certificate for my 2005 reg A2 it lists the variant as:- LBHCF1

Hope that this is not a daft question but does that indicate that the engine fitted is the BHC variant?

Thank You.

Last edited:

timmus

A2OC Donor
Hi Tom
Great that you are back on the forum, I assume that work commitments are calming down a little !!!
Thank you! Where my work life is concerned, the end of this frantic period is in sight, though still some weeks away. Hopefully by Christmas I'll be able to resume my participation in the club.

I read the original map from a 2001 MY TDI75 AMF engine (my own car) software code SG1281
I also read the original map from a 2002 MY TDI75 AMF engine (a friends car) software code SG1514
Ah, ok! Good to know that the two versions you're playing with are both derived from AMF engines. I'll wind my neck in. :)

At some point when I've got a bit more time, I ought to upload a photo of the AMF engine bay and another of the BHC engine bay. That'd allow people to easily establish which version they've got.

Cheers,

Tom

timmus

A2OC Donor
Very interested in this thread especially regarding different variations of the 1.4 TDI engines fitted to the A2.

On the V5 Certificate for my 2005 reg A2 it lists the variant as:- LBHCF1

Hope that this is not a daft question but does that indicate that the engine fitted is the BHC variant?

Thank You.
All 2005 TDI75s are fitted with the BHC engine, so that's definitely what you'll have. :)